3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Alarm LED... ignition wires?? help =)

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2001, 03:58 PM

ok.. so i got these Varad LED's that say i need to wire up to my ignition positive 12v so the leds know when to turn off
there are three wires to the led, red (permanent +12v), black (ground), yellow (ignition +12v)
anyone know of a positive 12v that goes on when the car is on and is off when the car is off?

also how much does a 30ma affect your battery if these leds were on all night...
they blink on and off
Old 06-19-2001, 06:36 PM

so no one knows? =\
Old 06-19-2001, 06:45 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by hoey
so no one knows? =\
check my page
I have wire color codes that were correct for my install of keyless entry on my car and Killermoves car; however, others have said their's were different so it'll give you somewhere to start

it'll definitely be under the steering column in a large harness with 6 thick wires going in each side
Old 06-19-2001, 06:56 PM

Originally posted by «§»Craig B«§»

check my page
I have wire color codes that were correct for my install of keyless entry on my car and Killermoves car; however, others have said their's were different so it'll give you somewhere to start

it'll definitely be under the steering column in a large harness with 6 thick wires going in each side
well i talked to my friend, and he said that i could just wire it to one of the fuses... light the cig lighter or the ignition fuse
do you think that would work?
Old 06-19-2001, 07:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by hoey

well i talked to my friend, and he said that i could just wire it to one of the fuses... light the cig lighter or the ignition fuse
do you think that would work?
good idea
that would work also; it even says on the back of the little panel you pull off which fuses run off battery and which are ACC

you can do it the lazy way - take out the fuse, strip a wire, put it halfway in the fuse thing and push the fuse back in; this works but can cause problems if it were to fall out or short against something else, but it's not too bad

they sell fuse taps that are metal pieces you put in before you put the fuse in and have a metal piece sticking out that you can connect a female spade connector too which would be the more 'professional' way to do it
Old 06-19-2001, 09:03 PM
STFU n00b!

the best (and least visible way) to do it would be to use wire tap-splices.. unscrew the fuse block from the dash and it'll pull out a few inches so the wires are exposed. now use one of the taps (they clip onto the car's wire, and you slide the new wire in another hole, then smash together with pliers.)

this is what many/most installers use when installing alarms and stuff that need to get power for something.

30mA is almost nothing to your car. you could run that thing for weeks and your battery wouldn't ever have a problem.