3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Coolant leak.................

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 04:40 PM

Coolant leak.................

Ok Guys I noticed a puddle of antifreze under my car and I drove it to the store and looked where It was dripping from and It was dripping out of a grommet looking thing 2 inches toward the passenger side from the heater core hoses that enter the firewall.

It drips and drips I hope its something simple like a hose needs tighting but while writing this I am hopeing you guys don't say busted heater core ...

Thanks alot Guys!!!!!!!
Old 08-28-2006, 04:44 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Have you learned how to post pics yet??
Old 08-28-2006, 05:23 PM

No sorry I am ashamed of my neglect to learn how .......

I know you told me how in a pm and I am thankfull but even if I took a pic you couldn't see it......

It is 2 inches to the left of the hetercore hoses and about 8-9 inches down and that is where the grommet it leaks form is.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:13 AM

Are you sure this isn't the air conditioning drain? It's on the bottom of the firewall, on the passengers side. It has a rubber cover with a short drain tube on the bottom?
Old 08-29-2006, 09:02 AM

Well I sure would like to convince myself of that but the puddle was green

Mabey what I saw driping was the AC drain and I havent really found the coolant leak........

Is there any trick to finding coolant leaks .......

Thanks
Old 08-29-2006, 02:07 PM
kthxbye2u

ummmm hose down your car?... and look for green stuff
and/or look really hard
Old 08-29-2006, 02:58 PM

Ok so here goes don't flame too bad ......

Are there any coolant stop leak products worth buying that will stop my problem....

Thanks
Old 08-29-2006, 03:08 PM

SHops have a pressure tester that they put on the coolant system to make leaks very evident. For the rest of us, the best way is to run your hand under the usual suspects (car cold, not running). and see where it comes away wet with coolant ( and it's not dripping from above there). If it's the firewall side, the heater core and lines are possible. If it's the front of the engine, possibly the water pump or it's hoses, the engine rear has the bypass or themostat housing or lower radiator hose and up front is the radiator. With the radiator you'll probably see fluid on the lower splash guard. Good luck.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:50 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Maxima Man
Ok so here goes don't flame too bad ......

Are there any coolant stop leak products worth buying that will stop my problem....

Thanks
without knowing what is leaking, you can't be sure any stop leak will work.
there are ones for the radiator and different ones for the head gasket.
Old 08-30-2006, 03:49 PM

Well I talked to the guy at Advanced and he said 99.9% of the stop leak products are crap but he did recommend one and it was called AlumaSeal and it is a powder that doesent clog everything up so I will give it a try tommorow afternoon.

It said it is designed to stop heater core leaks and radiator leaks so I hope It works.........

Thanks
Old 08-30-2006, 03:58 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Well I talked to the guy at Advanced and he said 99.9% of the stop leak products are crap but he did recommend one and it was called AlumaSeal and it is a powder that doesent clog everything up so I will give it a try tommorow afternoon.

It said it is designed to stop heater core leaks and radiator leaks so I hope It works.........

Thanks

Before you put that "stuff" in your car....ARE YOU SURE YOU HAVE A COOLANT LEAK?
Old 08-30-2006, 05:04 PM
mod or sell?

Thanks
if it doesn't clog things up how do you think it stops a leak?
Old 08-30-2006, 07:24 PM
kthxbye2u

no... all those radiator stop leak stuff doesnt work

my friend had his radiator leaking
he tried EVERYTHING to make it stop (he has a VW FOX "its a beach to replace it" and hes lazy ahah)

all those leak stopping things w/e you want to call them PLUS epoxy mix stuff w/e

nothing works mann, its all temperary(sp) and it'll just start leaking again

my advice is find the leak and replace what ever it is sorry i had to replace my radiator about 2 weeks ago lol THE WHOLE THING ha ghey
Old 08-31-2006, 03:52 AM

I would love to see a gash in my radiator and have a excuse to buy a new one and throw it in but I don't like the idea of taking the whole dash apart to replace a stupid heater core ..... If it is leaking from the heater core then will I smell feel coolant on my pass. carpet ?

I DO HAVE A COOLANT LEAK Everyday I park my car it drips out and I have a big GREEN puddle ..... It leaks about a foot down betweeen the windsheild wiper motor and the heater core hoses and it comes out of a tore up looking rubber grommet....

This stuff I was going to put in is like a powder and It is finer than sand I don't think it should clog it up ......

How large are the water passages through the heater core anyway??

Thanks Guys
Old 08-31-2006, 01:41 PM

I'm having a hard time figuring out what grommet you're talking about. To the best of my knowledge there are no coolant parts higher than the heater core and I think the connections are on top of the core. The only thing I can think of is the heater flow control valve. The heater hoses go up to this valve attached to a bracket on the top firewall that has a small vacuum hose from the engine attached to it. Is it this part?
Old 08-31-2006, 02:47 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Pics sure would be nice...
Old 08-31-2006, 03:05 PM
kthxbye2u

Yes... they would help A LOT
Old 08-31-2006, 03:39 PM

Well it is not the vacum valve that controls the heater hose that is mounted to the firewall.

It is to the left about 2-3 inches of the where the heater core hoses enter the firewall and straight down about 8-10 inches and there is a rubber grommet/plug that is mounted flush in the firewall that is where it comes from the slow drip drip....

Just go out and look and btw the grommet is mounted in the firewall just below the brake line that is mounted on the firewall....

Thanks
Old 08-31-2006, 03:44 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Well it is not the vacum valve that controls the heater hose that is mounted to the firewall.

It is to the left about 2-3 inches of the where the heater core hoses enter the firewall and straight down about 8-10 inches and there is a rubber grommet/plug that is mounted flush in the firewall that is where it comes from the slow drip drip....

Just go out and look and btw the grommet is mounted in the firewall just below the brake line that is mounted on the firewall....

Thanks
You sir have a bad heater core...
Old 08-31-2006, 05:55 PM

Ok I figured but heres a pic of the grommet/plug I speak off-

Old 08-31-2006, 05:56 PM

Sorry for the huge pic sorry I don't yet know how to make it smaller...
Old 08-31-2006, 06:07 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Sorry for the huge pic sorry I don't yet know how to make it smaller...
Before you upload your pics,send them to paint,hit ctrl w,then reduce the size by about 50-60%...save as...
Old 08-31-2006, 06:17 PM

Oh ok I got it thanks

Well do you know if it is just this pice of plastic that is broken and thats what is making it leak (mabey the heater core is ok and this stupid plastic/ rubber plug is just torn and making it leak)

Do you know what that plug in the center of the pic is for?
Old 08-31-2006, 06:25 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

I am pretty sure it is a drain for the a/c condensor under your dash...Not sure though...

My wifes gxe has water coming from the little drain after a drive with the a/c on...

BTW...Have you noticed and coolant loss from your radiator overfill reservoir???

And you would also notice your windshield fogging up as you drive if it was a busted heater core...
Old 09-01-2006, 08:52 AM

My windsheild dosent fog up while driving but I did lose a lot of coolant one morning But now I havent noticed a large loss of coolant but I have filled my overflow resivor to the brim so If I lost a lot of coolant it would have some coollant to draw in to the coolant system

I don't know what the deal is are there any other signs of a bad heater core.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:09 AM

What is wrong with this thread? It has a bad case of gigantism. Anyway, if you had a leaky heater core you would notice a sticky glaze of antifreeze on your windshield after using the defroster. Also, when you use the heater or defroster you would smell a sickly, sweet smell of antifreeze coming from it. If you don't have these, after using the heater, then you probably don't have a leaking core, although it could be leaky core connectors or hoses, as these are outside of the engine compartment. I can't figure out the picture though. It's so close I can just about see individual molecules.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:04 AM

Well I do know how to make pics smaller know but I want this large to help see the little leaky grommet on the firewall in the lower left hand side of this pic..

See below pic.
Old 09-01-2006, 05:18 PM

Heres another pic

Old 09-01-2006, 05:41 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

I think you might be overreacting....Just relax dude....Keep an eye on your overfill reservoir for a few weeks[mark it with sharpie or something] along with keeping an eye on your temp gauge..

Time will tell...
Old 09-02-2006, 06:25 PM

My windsheild dosent fog up while driving but I did lose a lot of coolant one morning But now I havent noticed a large loss of coolant but I have filled my overflow resivor to the brim so If I lost a lot of coolant it would have some coollant to draw in to the coolant system

I don't know what the deal is are there any other signs of a bad heater core.

Realize that your windshield will not get gunked up b/c your not using your heat since its summer, and your temp selector is probably all the way over to the cold side disallowing hot coolant from flowing through your heater core.

Your picture points to the firewall and not the engine, so it can only be the heater core, and not a freeze plug. Are you sure the liquid is coolant?

Also realize that if you fully fill the coolant resovior that you will automatically loose a good amount of coolant after running the engine. It will simply be forced out of the coolant resovior as the coolant expands.

The next time you make a puddle, put some on your hand and smell it.
Old 09-02-2006, 06:37 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by eric93SE
The next time you make a puddle, put some on your hand and smell it.
EEEWWW.....
Old 09-03-2006, 07:56 PM

ok will do thanks