3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

accident in parking lot

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 08:04 PM

accident in parking lot

I just found a spot in the campus parking lot parked there for my morning class and when i went out to leave from my afternoon class, i found out that someone has hit the front drivers side bumper badly, making alot of damage. she left a note saying she is very sorry and left her name and phone number. instead of reporting it to the campus security office, i just went home (very stupid on my part). here is a pic of how bad it is...
Old 11-01-2006, 08:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

omfg. seeing that sends chills to my spine. I'm really sorry man. If that happen to me i would start crying. The main thing she left her name and number, some people wouldnt even do that.
is the fender also bent? because it doesnt seem to line up correct to the hood......?

Did u call her to see if she is hot?..i mean able to fix it?

Goodluck...keep us/me update
Old 11-01-2006, 10:00 PM

amazingly that might be a total. at least she left a note, get it straightened out. nice shiny paint you have.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:35 PM
Way out West

get her insurance info and call them up asap before she changes her phone number.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:14 AM

A new corner light and bumper cover and she'll be as good as new...That does suck tho man...at least whoever it is left a note.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:21 AM

Ouch, I cringed looking at that. Reminds me of the time my mom used to own my Max and couldn't stop in time. Front bumper was shattered, but everything else was fine. Funny thing though, the Civic she hit got totalled. I didn't know how strong these things were until that happened.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:04 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

these things are strong, how fast was this girl going that she hit and broke that **** like that... in a parking lot!
Old 11-02-2006, 08:12 AM

well yes, it is pretty stupid seeing how someone can actually do that much damage in a parking lot with the speed limit 15 mph and after seeing the damage it made me so upset. she also said that it would be better if she just emailed the insurance stuff to me because of how busy she is, so i told her my email on her voice mail and still waiting to recieve the information. It can't possibly totaled right, because the damage is not that bad, just needs a new bumper/paint, corner light and drivers fog light assembly correct?
Old 11-02-2006, 10:13 AM

she probably backed in with music loud and didnt hear the hit and just continue pressing on reverse.

same exact thing happen to my maxima last year..in a parking lot. It was one of those cargo fan and the guy couldnt see at the back, i kept pumping the horn but the guy wouldnt stop.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:31 PM

I recently got in a accident with a chevy Aveo and I was going 60 then I slammed on brakes when he pulled out in front of me and skidded 30 ft (locked up brakes) No ABS.... I hit the rear of his car at about 20mph and I did very little damage to the max of course... ( dent in hood, bumper rippled, turn light in a million pices,bowed fender) Estimate at Bruces super body shop 2,600.00

Still fighting with the other guys insurance to fix it as he was at fault for failure to yeild .....

Any way I was doing 20 when I hit and the bumper was fine she must have been doing upwards of 20 mph......???
Old 11-02-2006, 01:21 PM

I slid off the highway into a ditch going 50 in a driving rainstorm and the Max fixed up very nicely thank you. No way can that be anywhere near totaled.

I got the insurance info from the guy who slid into me and ran me off the road. When I got to work and called they told me his policy had been cancelled two months earlier.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by crabapple
I slid off the highway into a ditch going 50 in a driving rainstorm and the Max fixed up very nicely thank you. No way can that be anywhere near totaled.

I got the insurance info from the guy who slid into me and ran me off the road. When I got to work and called they told me his policy had been cancelled two months earlier.
oohhh my! Did u ever get back to him to see if hes got another policy somewhere?
Old 11-02-2006, 04:40 PM
heresmymind

what did she hit you with? an escolade?

Old 11-02-2006, 07:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Try Not To Go Through Insurance

they might easily write off the car depending on how much you need done. my mom had an 88 accord, and someone rear-ended her, with little damage to her rear, and the insurance co. wrote it off. sucks too if you have to pay $$$ to get it back.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by crabapple

cars aren't totalled because they aren't fixable, they're totalled because the cost of repair exceeds the value of the car. we all know these cars don't hold much value.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by khemraj1999
oohhh my! Did u ever get back to him to see if hes got another policy somewhere?

Naaah. Let State Farm deal with the liar. Paid my deductible and moved on.

Originally Posted by Hectic
cars aren't totalled because they aren't fixable, they're totalled because the cost of repair exceeds the value of the car. we all know these cars don't hold much value.
Oh yeah, duh, didn't think about that. My wreck was several years ago when the car was worth more. What about sentimental value? You mean insur companies don't take that into consideration?? I kid.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:08 AM

when she called, i was driving and didnt want to answer my cell because i didnt want to get distracted, so she left a voice mail saying that she would give her insurance info. but then she said it would be better if i gave her my email so she can just email it to me and also said that she's mortified that she hit me and really is sorry and that i have to get my car fixed. so next day, I left another voice mail on her phone and still hasn't responded to my call (2nd time) or emailed me her insurance information, is there anything i can do? should i have reported it to the campus police before leaving? how much will a new bumper cost with paint, new corner lights and drivers fog lamp assembly with the mounting brackets cost? isn't there a certain time period that i have get her info. and report it to my insurance company or does it vary?
Old 11-03-2006, 09:14 AM
"and falling like a rock"

Go ahead and report it, most campus cops are much nicer than city cops and will understand your situation better.

Buuuuut dont expect them to do too much. They can at least run the phone number, get her information and should file a report so you can bypass her and contact her insurance company.

Good luck. I bet you should be able to get your money, but it will take some time.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by 89blackse
Go ahead and report it, most campus cops are much nicer than city cops and will understand your situation better.

Buuuuut dont expect them to do too much. They can at least run the phone number, get her information and should file a report so you can bypass her and contact her insurance company.

Good luck. I bet you should be able to get your money, but it will take some time.
well i went back to the campus security office 3 hours later after i came out of class to see the damage (went home then back to the campus) and the officer said that i should have reported it when i first seen it, but since i didn't they couldn't do anything.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:55 AM

update: just recieved her email with insurance information, going to get things straight soon
Old 11-03-2006, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by maxima2k2
... they couldn't do anything.
Wow, really?! Well, that's good to know from now on.

But hey you got her info so that is great!

Just for kicks, let us know what the estimate will be.
Old 11-03-2006, 04:08 PM

Estimated cost of repairs is not that much.

New Bumper (not primed/painted) $50.00
New fogs + assmbly: $40.00 for both fog lights
Corner light pretty cheap I would think, get clear ones on ebay + they look very good.
Paint+primer $50.00
Total would not be more than $200.00

I know this cause I had a little accident similar to yours.
Personally, I would try to settle this on a friendly basis with her. That's my opinion.

Hope you get that fixed soon !
Old 11-04-2006, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by MAXIMUS G EKSUS
Personally, I would try to settle this on a friendly basis with her. That's my opinion.
That is why people have car insurance. Besides, if he does that then he will have no legal recourse if she skips out or denies the accident.

Keep doing what you're doing; hope they don't just total your car cause of the god-awful fog lights