3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Sub direction/enclosures.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 02:13 PM
heresmymind

Sub direction/enclosures.

I have a sub box sealed with 2 12" orion subs. hits nice. if played around with different ways of facing the box and as of today I found the best. I took out the divider between the arm rest and the trunk and had the subs face frontwards and I mounted the box to the rail. man what a difference. it puts a lot of bass into the cabin for sure. My question has anyone made custom boxes for our cars? like put them into the spare tire compartment. or into the rear deck? also where does Everyone have their Amps Mounted?

Old 12-04-2006, 03:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Here's how I did mine:

Its an IB setup so power handling isn't the great but it sounds awesome. Eventually I'm going to put an enclosure around the back of it to bring the power handling back up but it still works pretty well.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:07 PM
Way out West

I mounted my box so that it would be easy to take out when I race it and still be stabilized. I used U-bolts and L-brackets to secure it to the metal bracket behind the seat. Basically, the only way to get the box out is to take out the back seat. I mounted the amp on a small board on the side behind the tail light.

amp and sub location:

sub u-bolt mounts:

Old 12-06-2006, 09:15 PM
Taking my Maxima to the Max!

Does anyone have a sub or two mounted up against the back seat facing into the car with a shallow box behind them to maximize trunk space? With pics? How do they sound?

-Mark
Old 12-06-2006, 10:00 PM

i used to have my 2x10" subs facing into the cabin they were up against my seats. I swapped them to face outwards not too long ago and they sound so much louder with heaps better bass now.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:34 AM

i tried to face my idmax 12 frontwards yesturday and my lows didnt go as low nemore.
Old 12-09-2006, 12:37 PM
Way out West

Originally Posted by Camfantasy
i tried to face my idmax 12 frontwards yesturday and my lows didnt go as low nemore.
I think the general consensus is to put them behind the seat and face the subs toward the rear for the best sound in the driver area. Maybe different speakers react differently, but most of the people I have talked with have found it to be true, including myself.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:43 PM
I will eat your children

i have 2 memphis 10's and they face away from the back seat also have the u bolt and l bracket mod. its great the box never moves and i can fit 2 6 packs of bottles on each side and they dont move either. will post pix if i get them soon. its damn cold out. and my amps are mounted on the top od the box. but that set up seems to sound best. i had my old pioners facing in to the cabin then changed it and they also sounded better facing out.