3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

crap! help help I cut my brake line

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 06:45 PM
94c Big Max

crap! help help I cut my brake line

to make a long story short, while I was swapping the long metal brake lines from front to rear wheel. I accidentally cut my front brake line, right at the master cylinder. It was right at the master cylinder. Is there a way to repair this metal brake line? I have the connector but how do I widen up the openning so that when I re-connect, the connector will lock it down? Is there a tool for this kinda job? Someone mentioned something "flare wrench", I have never used it. Is that what I need? Can I rent that from somewhere? thanks
Old 12-28-2006, 08:42 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by bvtran
to make a long story short, while I was swapping the long metal brake lines from front to rear wheel. I accidentally cut my front brake line, right at the master cylinder. It was right at the master cylinder. Is there a way to repair this metal brake line? I have the connector but how do I widen up the openning so that when I re-connect, the connector will lock it down? Is there a tool for this kinda job? Someone mentioned something "flare wrench", I have never used it. Is that what I need? Can I rent that from somewhere? thanks

double flare tool. You do not want to single flair a brake line or it will split. I got this one from HF that worked great for me.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:50 PM
94c Big Max

thanks.

do you know if autozone has this kinda tool in their tool rental cuz I kinda need it quick. I noticed their website sells them. I don't wanna order from HF cuz the last package I ordered took them 2 weeks to ship.
Old 12-29-2006, 06:13 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by bvtran
thanks.

do you know if autozone has this kinda tool in their tool rental cuz I kinda need it quick. I noticed their website sells them. I don't wanna order from HF cuz the last package I ordered took them 2 weeks to ship.

I didnt order mine from their website. They have them at the local stores and although I dont have one in my city I was in a city that did so I picked one up. If you have a local one pick it up from there but take the printout of the page in case its more expensive at the store...they have always priced matched for me.

AZ didnt have any when I was looking for mine. CarQuest did but it was $50 or so.

Remember you need a DOUBLE flare tool. A lot of places sell the single flare tool but you do not want that for brake lines.
Old 12-29-2006, 06:30 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

BUY A NEW LINE!!!
you messed it up...pony up for a new line.
i hate to say it but if you're not familar with cutting and flaring the metal tubing then you're better off buying a new line from the dealer or something. also the metal has been on the car quite some time so it might be a little too brittle to run a double flare on it and have it seal correctly. you don't want this to break or leak afterwards....trust me.
Old 12-31-2006, 04:04 AM
94c Big Max

Originally Posted by Michael
double flare tool. You do not want to single flair a brake line or it will split. I got this one from HF that worked great for me.

Thanks, I got it fixed. Autozone did have it in their tool rental. They had both SAE and Metric double flaring kits just like the one you shown. Just ask for part no. 27012, this box is metric.