3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

are these the funky vg injectors?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 02:52 PM

are these the funky vg injectors?

so after letting my 114k mile vg sit for all but about 1 hour since early august i drove it maybe 15 miles and there goes an injector. Had a good trade settled with Greenmax until i remembered while packaging up his MAF, the difference between the 89-92 and 93-94 wasn't just the dot color anyway i got on ebay and found these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LIKE-...spagenameZWDVW. I remember awhile back someone saying they bought some aftermarket brand which these definitely are, and when installing they were too tall.. I sat here and compared a bosch injector i pulled from my black vg a year ago and the advertised ones do look taller. but only above the top o-ring. I figure that since they come with replacement bushing deals, they compensate for the height difference. hopefully Brian or someone who has experience with the advertised injectors can chime in on this. I went ahead and bought them, i figured WTH, $100 beats $600 for new bosch's, $300 for remanufactured, or going used and worrying about when the next injector will fail. These may in fact fail, there's been a few aftermarket/reman horror stories, but considering the condition they are in, if they work, i'll have more peace of mind than i would throwing a used one in there with the other originals. but yeah if anyone has any info on these please share.

Thanks
Old 01-10-2007, 02:57 PM

Don't post ebay link.

It's a rule.

If I was bidding on it, I would be pissed you exposed it to others.

When are those r33's going on?
Old 01-10-2007, 03:19 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

I think you just purchased villager injectors..
Old 01-10-2007, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by therealgoon9
Don't post ebay link.

It's a rule.

If I was bidding on it, I would be pissed you exposed it to others.

When are those r33's going on?
the auction is over man, because i bought them. The r33 tails are on my headboard, i don't know when i'm going to install them. i'd like to paint the whole car that color as well, but i'll probably just respray. it's ironic how you lecture me about potentially exposing things to others and then go and expose my plan to install r33 tails. it's all good though

Originally Posted by MyGreenMax94
I think you just purchased villager injectors..
Luckilly I haven't paid yet if that's the case. Is it the cap that makes you say that? I figured that was just a protective cap that comes off before installation but if it doesn't then they definitely aren't for the maxima vg..
Old 01-10-2007, 03:44 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by Hectic
the auction is over man, because i bought them.

Luckilly I haven't paid yet if that's the case. Is it the cap that makes you say that? I figured that was just a protective cap that comes off before installation but if it doesn't then they definitely aren't for the maxima vg..
Naw,they look fine to me,just tryin to rattle your cage..
Old 01-10-2007, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by MyGreenMax94
Naw,they look fine to me,just tryin to rattle your cage..
heh, i thought maybe you were but you got me thinking. it still has me thinking because i seem to remember seeing differences between the maxima and quest/villager injectors, but of course now i can't find a pic of one anywhere.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:11 PM

Thats a good deal on the injectors for sure.
I don't like seeing ebay link because if I'm watching something (everyday) I wouldn't want someone to ****** it up. lol.

Btw. Some poor loser that I out bidded for my wheels is still harrassing me about it.

I only mention the tails to great a lil pressure to PUT THEM ON! heh.. No hard feelings.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:22 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

heh, i thought maybe you were but you got me thinking. it still has me thinking because i seem to remember seeing differences between the maxima and quest/villager injectors, but of course now i can't find a pic of one anywhere.

http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...2&postcount=70
Old 01-10-2007, 07:08 PM

that's the pic i remember seeing, thanks.. no real similarity there, hopefully these suckers work alright.

goon: i'll get those tails on eventually. I hope. problem is i don't have much metal cutting/welding experience and i'd like to practice first on a junk max.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:52 PM
mod or sell?

Those actually look brand new unused. my concern is that they are the Venom/Python brand ones, which leaked like a SOB on one guys car that I sold them too.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
Those actually look brand new unused. my concern is that they are the Venom/Python brand ones, which leaked like a SOB on one guys car that I sold them too.
Thanks man. That's the experience I remember reading about. IIRC he said they wouldn't sit properly in the rail and were leaking out the top or something. I remember you said you stopped carrying them because of the problems they caused. if it was just one customer, i'm not too worried, maybe he tried to install them in 93-94 rails or didn't seat them properly. We'll see I guess. They do look brand spanking new, seems a little sketchy..
Old 01-11-2007, 11:22 AM
mod or sell?

it was one customer with 12 defects , and we went to bosch. Bosch worked no problem.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:50 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

They seem too clean to be used OEM Nissan injectors..Ask the seller if they are OEM Nissan or are they aftermarket. Also ask if they are blue or black dot.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:58 PM

it was one customer with 12 defects , and we went to bosch. Bosch worked no problem.
wow, 12 defects with a single customer? sounds a little like mechanic's error to me.

Originally Posted by aminus21
They seem too clean to be used OEM Nissan injectors..Ask the seller if they are OEM Nissan or are they aftermarket. Also ask if they are blue or black dot.
they definitely aren't oem. bosch aren't pink around the mesh and there are no holes in the pink cap. dots don't really matter all that much even if you mix and match, the difference is just the spray pattern and they will still work, but even that isn't an issue because i'm replacing them all.

I e-mailed the guy, he said the o rings were pinched on a few of them. I wouldn't doubt it if they were ve injectors, but vg injectors are a lot easier to install properly than ve. i'll buy new o rings and give them a shot, sounds like someone forgot the lube when they installed them the first time..
Old 01-12-2007, 05:46 AM

I wouldn't doubt it if they were ve injectors,
the harness connector does not look like a VE injector, VE harness is a little more oval shaped and the algnment slots are on the sides, not the bottom of the harness
Old 01-12-2007, 09:18 AM

no, no, i was saying i wouldn't doubt the story of them being installed improperly and leaking into the cylinders if they were ve injectors. because the vg injectors are a lot less difficult to install without causing leaks.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:10 PM

oh ok, sorry, hah
Old 01-12-2007, 05:23 PM
Alex_V

what about swapping a quest fuel rail in and injectors. Do the quest injectors fail as often? I don't think so.

Maxmaxima91 used a quest lower intake manufold so maybe we can just bolt them in.

~Alex

Old 01-12-2007, 05:28 PM

sall good the current injector is working intermittently so i've been driving it around quite a bit today. i changed the 7 month old oil out today with some penzoil platinum full synthetic and a bosch filter so it was ready to be laid into. i'm hoping the injector is just clogged a little from sitting for so long and will clear up 100%. it's seems to run on all 6 a lot more often than it was a couple days ago. i feel lucky that it runs normal at all right now. I at least get a chance to enjoy it a little bit after dumping the nine deuce. It was a bit faster yeah, but this is easially the better car. it does just about everything better than the ve. most issues had nothing to do with the actual motor though so i'm not dissing the ve or anything
Old 01-13-2007, 06:46 PM
mod or sell?

wow, 12 defects with a single customer? sounds a little like mechanic's error to me.
nah, spoke to some of the places that were selling them, and they had similar experiences
Old 01-14-2007, 11:48 AM

well luckilly the injector seems to have unclogged itself after a decent amount of driving, so i'm not going to have to worry about installing these injectors quite yet. i'll hang on to them though and deal with it when the time comes. thanks for all the feedback.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:08 PM
94c Big Max

LOL... these look like they were rebuilt with a sonic pulse cleaner. just like mines. I paid $60 back then.... but they're around $90 right now. so, for $100 is a good deal imo.

so after letting my 114k mile vg sit for all but about 1 hour since early august i drove it maybe 15 miles and there goes an injector. Had a good trade settled with Greenmax until i remembered while packaging up his MAF, the difference between the 89-92 and 93-94 wasn't just the dot color anyway i got on ebay and found these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LIKE-...spagenameZWDVW. I remember awhile back someone saying they bought some aftermarket brand which these definitely are, and when installing they were too tall.. I sat here and compared a bosch injector i pulled from my black vg a year ago and the advertised ones do look taller. but only above the top o-ring. I figure that since they come with replacement bushing deals, they compensate for the height difference. hopefully Brian or someone who has experience with the advertised injectors can chime in on this. I went ahead and bought them, i figured WTH, $100 beats $600 for new bosch's, $300 for remanufactured, or going used and worrying about when the next injector will fail. These may in fact fail, there's been a few aftermarket/reman horror stories, but considering the condition they are in, if they work, i'll have more peace of mind than i would throwing a used one in there with the other originals. but yeah if anyone has any info on these please share.

Thanks
Old 01-15-2007, 12:42 AM

well they're not oem injectors, it doesn't seem like there would be many remanufactured/aftermarket injectors out there. they probably are in fact the python injectors, i can't seem to find a pic of them though so i don't know for sure, but the guy said they were leaking and was the reason the car ran like crap. what confuses me though is why there's a lower o ring pictured on a lot of these 89-92 vg injectors on ebay. i've only replaced a single vg injector from another 91 and i never saw a bottom o ring. fsm doesn't show one either. maybe the aftermarkets need one and is the reason they have leakage issues..
Old 01-15-2007, 01:10 AM
94c Big Max

well they're not oem injectors, it doesn't seem like there would be many remanufactured/aftermarket injectors out there. they probably are in fact the python injectors, i can't seem to find a pic of them though so i don't know for sure, but the guy said they were leaking and was the reason the car ran like crap. what confuses me though is why there's a lower o ring pictured on a lot of these 89-92 vg injectors on ebay. i've only replaced a single vg injector from another 91 and i never saw a bottom o ring. fsm doesn't show one either. maybe the aftermarkets need one and is the reason they have leakage issues..
if you look how the fuel rail was constructed, then you understand why it was necessary to have upper and lower o-rings. my 94 FSM said so... even the haynes diagram has them both on there.

now back to the injectors, that ebay guy probably sent it in for pulse cleaning, they ran leak test and his failed. that's why he sold them and it makes sense to me. when I rebuilt mines, it passed leak tests with no problem.
Old 01-15-2007, 04:45 AM

No, I was wondering why there weren't lower o rings for the OEM 89-92 injectors. But I just found this pic which does show the o-rings on OEM injectors. I understand why injectors need the lower seal.

I must have just forgot that i reused the o-ring when i replaced that single injector a year ago.. My real 91 fsm only shows a single o-ring which is what was causing the most confusion. The 94 manual in .pdf format shows the same blowup for the vg as well, even though they use the ve style injectors. I'll bet were looking at the VE blowup which does show both upper and lower rings.. anyway, if/when i ever install these, i'll buy new rings from the dealership and hope that prevents any leaking.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:44 PM

seems like this guy doesn't know new injectors don't come with holes ripped in the mesh or he wouldn't have advertised them as "like new". 5 of the 6 injectors all have at least one rip. it's like he took the only one without a rip and used it for the close up. i'm not even going to bother trying to install these because they'll just clog up if they aren't already. I sent an email asking for a refund.

Old 01-16-2007, 03:54 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Wow,he really farked them up..
Old 01-16-2007, 04:22 PM

yeah I have no clue how you do that kind of job. there's about 10 cuts over 5 injectors. luckilly that '90 max at the junk yard still has the injectors, i guess i'll go pull them in a couple days when the snow is gone. i hate to put used injectors in, but it's only 1 (intermittently) and the car only has 114k miles so the chances are pretty low that another original will go out soon. i'd be more worried about the used one with unknown mileage (cluster gone).
Old 01-18-2007, 02:52 PM

kickass! probably nobody cares but i went and tore down the intake of the junkmax and grabbed the front 3 injectors, one of which was replaced @ some time with a brand new bosch plus the ebay guy is cool and refunding me in full. so this badboy will go in and hopefully i'll be set for awhile..