3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Heat and thermostat question

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 12:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Heat and thermostat question

I ended up buying the consult board from ebay for $50, and it works really well, much better than I expected!

Since I have bought the car, I don't think the heat is as hot it should get... so with the new diagnostic tool, I have watched the coolant temp sensor through warming up the car (the CTS is only 6 mos old, replaced this past summer, so I know it works, and all climate control sensors are new as well). It climbs to about 72 deg Celsius over a period of about 15min, and seems to stay around there, even after a short drive to get coffee.

I have checked the FSM, and it says the thermostat should open at 82 deg. The heater does work, it just doesn't seem to get as hot as other people's cars. I didn't want to do this job (pretty messy) if I didn't need to. I'm wondering if this lower temp might also cause my bad MPG.

So a couple of questions:
Does this indicate that I should replace the thermostat?
How long does it normally take to get to operating temp. which I'm assuming is around 80 deg?
Could it be some other issue?
Old 01-22-2007, 12:51 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Your temp needle should go about half way up when the car is fully warmed up..

If it is not getting up there,then i would replace the t-stat..
Old 01-22-2007, 06:02 PM

So after driving around today and monitoring the CTS via consult/laptop, it never went above 74C (165F), and the temp needle was a bit below half. I took it to my uncle's shop, he's a mechanic, and we replaced the thermostat (which looked to be the original) with a new OEM from Nissan rated at 82C. The car now reaches operating temp. at around 88C (190F), and the heater blows HOT air again!

I'm looking forward to seeing how much better MPG I'll get and I'm sure the new cat will also do a lot better.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:05 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

You should see a significant increase in gas mileage...
Old 01-22-2007, 07:14 PM

that thing is compatible with teh ve? it's not on the list. I thought only the vq's were compatible with those monitoring boards.. what all does the software display?
Old 01-22-2007, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Hectic
that thing is compatible with teh ve? it's not on the list. I thought only the vq's were compatible with those monitoring boards.. what all does the software display?
Yep, works perfectly! There's a screenshot below.

It also provides a bunch of other features where you can turn on/off some sensors/relays/pumps etc. as well as nice full screen displays of most sensors for while you're driving.

It also lets you datastream and record to a log, as well as a "scope" mode that you can plot whatever sensors you want vs time. Best $50 I've spent on the car!

consult1.jpg
Old 01-23-2007, 12:02 AM
Please. Call me John. I insist

my temp is always half way and heater usually blows pretty warm and tstat was replaced September 2005 when I got the car, but I dont know if it was replaced with the right temperature. How can I tell if its the right temp and which SHOULD be the right temp?

btw thats a cool program, does it like connect to the obd connector by fuse panel?
Old 01-23-2007, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
my temp is always half way and heater usually blows pretty warm and tstat was replaced September 2005 when I got the car, but I dont know if it was replaced with the right temperature. How can I tell if its the right temp and which SHOULD be the right temp?

btw thats a cool program, does it like connect to the obd connector by fuse panel?
The OEM Nissan tstat is rated to open at 82C (180F). If you got it from Nissan, you should be fine. I have heard that aftermarket ones can open at varying temps, so it's probably best to go with OEM for this part, and it's only $20 for the peace of mind.

And yep, the cable connects right to the OBD port via pins.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:33 AM
Please. Call me John. I insist

nice, thanks a lot
Old 01-23-2007, 03:28 AM

Will that consult software dump the ROM from the ecu??

Ive been using "calumsult" and "datascan" with a home built consult board and both of those can dump the ROM as well as the diagnostic stuff you mentioned..

Btw.. Calumsult is free but datascan was like $20, you should check those out too..
Old 01-23-2007, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by lanedrifters
Will that consult software dump the ROM from the ecu??

Ive been using "calumsult" and "datascan" with a home built consult board and both of those can dump the ROM as well as the diagnostic stuff you mentioned..

Btw.. Calumsult is free but datascan was like $20, you should check those out too..
Yes it can. Thanks for the tip, I'll have to check the other software out.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:15 PM
White_Shadow

Nice Software! I would like to buy it, but I have a VG, you think it will work?
Old 01-23-2007, 10:59 PM

Yes, it will work on any nissan that is consult enabled for ecu diagnostics. Check your FSM first. But you need the cable/board as well.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:37 PM
Banned

nice program a vary valuebale knida program for me since it has alot of what info i need showing on that kinda display for my auto tech class since im in driveablity which basicly is ignition ful and emissions systems. i bet my teacher would like to see such a program
Old 01-24-2007, 07:03 AM
The Computer Guy

After seeing your screen shoots, I bought one myself. I found the download link for DataScan here... http://www.blazt.biz/products/datascan.php
Cant wait till it gets here.. Ill post results...

Originally Posted by mszilves
I ended up buying the consult board from ebay for $50, and it works really well, much better than I expected!

Since I have bought the car, I don't think the heat is as hot it should get... so with the new diagnostic tool, I have watched the coolant temp sensor through warming up the car (the CTS is only 6 mos old, replaced this past summer, so I know it works, and all climate control sensors are new as well). It climbs to about 72 deg Celsius over a period of about 15min, and seems to stay around there, even after a short drive to get coffee.

I have checked the FSM, and it says the thermostat should open at 82 deg. The heater does work, it just doesn't seem to get as hot as other people's cars. I didn't want to do this job (pretty messy) if I didn't need to. I'm wondering if this lower temp might also cause my bad MPG.

So a couple of questions:
Does this indicate that I should replace the thermostat?
How long does it normally take to get to operating temp. which I'm assuming is around 80 deg?
Could it be some other issue?
Old 01-24-2007, 07:29 AM
94c Big Max

hey do they have one for VG engine? I need one where can I get one cuz this one is only for VE and VQ engine.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:34 AM

Check your left kickpanel area.. Their should be a grey 14pin connector with only 4-5 wires to it. That would be a consult connector but VG's only use it for airbag diag.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:25 AM
The Computer Guy

It should work since VG30DE is in the list. VG30DE is basically same as VG30E. Ill tell you if mine works hoping it will. I have VG30E

Originally Posted by bvtran
hey do they have one for VG engine? I need one where can I get one cuz this one is only for VE and VQ engine.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:17 PM
The Computer Guy

I ordered the consult cable and found this out...

Im upset now I didnt see a cable in there.. but then agian it was dark out but still I dont think its there.

So any VE guys want a consult cable? Ill sell it cheap
Old 01-25-2007, 06:38 PM

Yep, works perfectly! There's a screenshot below.

It also provides a bunch of other features where you can turn on/off some sensors/relays/pumps etc. as well as nice full screen displays of most sensors for while you're driving.

It also lets you datastream and record to a log, as well as a "scope" mode that you can plot whatever sensors you want vs time. Best $50 I've spent on the car!

consult1.jpg
is this supported?

if so i'm buying one. but again, i thought only the vq's had the proper output for digital tach/speed monitoring.

Originally Posted by nForce
It should work since VG30DE is in the list. VG30DE is basically same as VG30E. Ill tell you if mine works hoping it will. I have VG30E
yes, please do. but the vg30de is quite different. dohc and different ecu..
Old 01-25-2007, 07:39 PM
The Computer Guy

I cant find the Consult Port on my max... anyone have have idea? I didnt see it in the fuse box.

is this supported?

if so i'm buying one. but again, i thought only the vq's had the proper output for digital tach/speed monitoring.

yes, please do. but the vg30de is quite different. dohc and different ecu..
Old 01-25-2007, 08:02 PM

it's probably up there wrapped around something so it doesn't dangle. it should have a brown boot over the harness.

edit: my fault, i guess i skipped over that last post about not seeing the cable. maybe you actually don't have one because it's pretty easy to spot when you get your head down there with a flashlight..
Old 01-25-2007, 08:14 PM
The Computer Guy

Did the VG have consult port or was this only on the VE versions?

Just curious.... I couldnt seem to see any port to hook up at....

it's probably up there wrapped around something so it doesn't dangle. it should have a brown boot over the harness.

edit: my fault, i guess i skipped over that last post about not seeing the cable. maybe you actually don't have one because it's pretty easy to spot when you get your head down there with a flashlight..
Old 01-25-2007, 08:20 PM

my vg has one, i'll go take a pic
Old 01-25-2007, 08:23 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Hurry before i beat you to it..
Old 01-25-2007, 08:25 PM
The Computer Guy

well thanks... Im hoping its there and its just hidden because I couldnt seem to see it. I really wanna use Consult, DataScan and other programs....

Im in process of makin car pc (aka. Max PC) and havin Consult Log the data on it... Gonna do a mini ITX with in-dash touch screen and use CAR PC os stuff there tons of open soure OS out there (mp3car.com) has the list.

Old 01-25-2007, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by MyGreenMax94
Hurry before i beat you to it..
I win

Old 01-25-2007, 08:37 PM

oh wait
Old 01-25-2007, 08:42 PM
The Computer Guy

hey that looks like a nasty used CONDOM lol
Old 01-25-2007, 08:56 PM

if that's what your condoms look like i feel bad for you..

anyway, it's very possible you just overlooked it. it took me a couple minutes and i'm the one who stuffed it up there awhile back.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:00 PM
The Computer Guy

LOL i waz messing.... but yea ill look for it better tomorrow. The consult port cable should be here next week...
Old 01-25-2007, 09:20 PM

jk man well i'm right there with you when it comes to the car pc. the project has been on the backburner for awhile though a lot of the reason is because i don't have an aftermarket alarm and i don't want to get jacked. i've been thinking about getting back into it lately though. i've got other things on my plate though so it might still be awhile. keep me updated on your project man.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:31 PM

Sorry vg guys, just about everything was consult enabled after 90-91 except VG's.

Oh and BTW if anybody dumps their ROM, I would love a copy of the .bin file and can share some ve .bins I have.
Old 01-26-2007, 06:52 AM
The Computer Guy

wow that is such great news.. thanks I was worried about it not working with VG...

Originally Posted by lanedrifters
Dont worry vg guys, just about everything was consult enabled after 90-91.

Oh and BTW if anybody dumps their ROM, I would love a copy of the .bin file and can share some ve .bins I have.