3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Max is back on the road..5 spd conversion complete

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 09:03 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Max is back on the road..5 spd conversion complete

Hey fellas good news! my 5 spd conversion is now complete. I finally got the oil leak fixed.

Brudda Bob- It was the oil seal and the Indian gasket sealer works great.

I learned so much from this swap. I learned that the there are two different oil seal for the axle. I went to Nissan told them which seal I need and they kept giving me the wrong one. So I went to a local parts store with the old seal from the auto trans. The sales person came back with not one, but two seals. One seal was the same type from nissan and the other was the same size as the one from the auto.

There are no leaks, but I keep getting a rubbing sound. I'll get that check in a few months. The car shifts great. thanks fellas for all of your help. I'm drafting up a complete write up on it with all details, it should be posted next week.

Thanks again until my next issue. Ha ha
Old 02-28-2007, 09:11 AM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Originally Posted by Nmax92
Hey fellas good news! my 5 spd conversion is now complete. I finally got the oil leak fixed.

I learned so much from this swap. I learned that the there are two different oil seal for the axle. I went to Nissan told them which seal I need and they kept giving me the wrong one. So I went to a local parts store with the old seal from the auto trans. The sales person came back with not one, but two seals. One seal was the same type from nissan and the other was the same size as the one from the auto.

There are no leaks, but I keep getting a rubbing sound. I'll get that check in a few months. The car shifts great. thanks fellas for all of your help. I'm drafting up a complete write up on it with all details, it should be posted next week.

Hey congrats on the swap, hopefully I'll be able to post a "i finished my swap" thread sometime not too far away in the future ")
Old 02-28-2007, 10:06 AM

Nmax92 you know what I need.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:06 PM

Have fun with the 5 speed! Too bad the shifter isnt at the steering wheel, those are more fun shifting!.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:08 PM

Thanks guys. Alot of research went into the swap thanks mostly to the you .org members. for real.
Colombianmax - when you finish your swap make sure you lube the throw out bearing and align the the clutch perfectly, because I don't think I put enough lube on the bearing and alignmed the clutch. that's why I'm getting that rubbing sound.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:41 PM

The clutch will be aligned once you put the tranny on. The alignment tool is simply to ease installation.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by todamax
The clutch will be aligned once you put the tranny on. The alignment tool is simply to ease installation.

10 char
Old 02-28-2007, 09:03 PM
Alex_V

The rubbing sound might be a wheel bearing.

If you push the clutch, and you have a rubbing sound, your TOB is bad/installed wrong. If it has a rubbing noise in neutral with your foot off the clutch pedal thats a input shaft bearing. If it gets louder the faster you drive it probably a wheel bearing.

~Alex

Old 03-01-2007, 12:03 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Thanks guys. Alot of research went into the swap thanks mostly to the you .org members. for real.
Colombianmax - when you finish your swap make sure you lube the throw out bearing and align the the clutch perfectly, because I don't think I put enough lube on the bearing and alignmed the clutch. that's why I'm getting that rubbing sound.
Thanks for the tip dude, I hope Alex knows that as he's the main guy helping
Old 03-01-2007, 07:05 PM

Alex, I think its the TOB. The rubbing only happens when i'm in gear (2nd-3rd) at low speeds. when I'm blazing on the road I think the noise get drowned out.