3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Gasket Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 06:11 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Gasket Question

So I found that I have fuel dripping a bit where the rubber fuel line connects to the front fuel rail when it is cold out. I need to fix this...Obviously, I will need to order a new intake manifold gasket set.

But my question is: will the gasket set be reuseable if I take it apart and put it back together a second time in a few weeks to install my phenolic spacer set?
Or are the gaskets a one-time deal and I would need 2 sets if I were to disassemble twice in a short time frame?
Old 03-19-2007, 06:42 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

I'm pretty sure the spacer kit uses rtv in place of a gasket...
Old 03-19-2007, 07:23 AM
Alex_V

Yea I talked to Aaron about a similar thing. Were just going to use rtv with the spacers. But we wont have a uim spacer, so just get 1 new gasket for the UIM to the plate.

While your in there replace all the fuel lines, so you dont have to do it a second time. And position the clamps so you can access the screws with the UIM on. That way next week when the clamps need tightened you can do it with out pulling the UIM.

~Alex

Old 03-19-2007, 08:43 AM

What else will I have to disassemble (and subsequently replace the gaskets) to get the UIM off? I've never worked on this area of the engine before, so bear with me...
Old 03-19-2007, 08:52 AM
Alex_V

The first time I did it i just started unbolting stuff till it came off. LOL.

There are some coolant lines under the corner of the UIM where the bleeder screw is (or top right corner if you dont have the bleeder and your standing in front of the car), thats the only PITA.

Also use some PB blaster and vice grips to loosen the EGR tube. Other then that its all easy just unbolt or unplug what gets in the way. You can call me if you need too.

~Alex

Old 03-19-2007, 11:42 AM

Well, I went ahead and ordered valve cover gaskets/ grommets too. They could use replacing, so while I've got everything apart...

Although that was 100 bucks I didn't think I was going to spend today...
Old 03-19-2007, 08:04 PM
NWP Engineering.com

With my phenolic intake spacers, my instructions recommend the use of a little RTV to help them make a good seal.

You can also sandwich the spacers with OEM gaskets if you'd like. But RTV is the best since my spacers are matched to the stock intake ports and gaskets will only disrupt the transistion between manifolds.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:31 AM

Even if you needed to reuse the 2 plenum gaskets you would be fine reusing a new one. I've done it within a month span with no ill effects. If you're going to go ahead and pull the plenum a week or 2 before installing the spacer, you might even get away with using the one on there now if it's in good enough shape (in one piece with rubber seals in tact). Although if it were me, i'd just wait and do it all at once when you install the spacer, unless the leak is really bad. I'd carry a fire extiguisher in the meantime though
Old 03-20-2007, 06:50 AM

Meh, the gaskets should arrive by the weekend. I'll just do it then...When the spacers do get here it will take me less time to install them.

Fuel leaks make me nervous...

Also, if I was to call anything problematic on my car, I would have to say it is any kind of rubber seal / gasket. I'm always finding a new rubber piece needing replacement. The car spent most of its life in Florida where it is humid, wouldn't that prolong the life of rubber parts?

But I suppose I'm just nit-picking. It's a 14 year old car and rubber doesn't last forever...
Old 03-20-2007, 06:59 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by maxitech
Meh, the gaskets should arrive by the weekend. I'll just do it then...When the spacers do get here it will take me less time to install them.

Fuel leaks make me nervous...

Also, if I was to call anything problematic on my car, I would have to say it is any kind of rubber seal / gasket. I'm always finding a new rubber piece needing replacement. The car spent most of its life in Florida where it is humid, wouldn't that prolong the life of rubber parts?

But I suppose I'm just nit-picking. It's a 14 year old car and rubber doesn't last forever...

Heat from the engine over time is the enemy of rubber parts,not weather conditions..