3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

My maxima's update.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 11:47 AM
"and falling like a rock"

My maxima's update.

Hello fellow 3rd gen'ers

Not sure if many of you remember me, but I got fired a while back and lost touch with the group. Well I got a new job! So I have had the urge to reconnect.

Thought I'd let you all know what's up with my Maxima's

The Turbo gold maxima (see right sig) is still broken even after a week in a repair shop. So I hired a friend of mine to work on it now. So if anyone see's a gold maxima getting towed today, no, its still not running.

The Black maxima (Left Sig) is no longer mine. I gave her straight up to my best friend so he could have a second car with a manual and so he could fix her up again instead of junking a decent car with some problems.
So far he has repaired all motor and tranny mounts, shifter bracket, front cross member, and replaced the exhaust system from the headers back.
Let me tell you, she is like a new car now. I'm almost sad, but I know he loves that car so it makes it okay.

I will try to get him to join the forum some time soon.

Thanks all, I hope to have an update on the turbo maxima soon...
Old 04-12-2007, 12:29 PM
Alex_V

Wow that was nice of you, and I'm glad hes fixing it.

What exactly is broken on the VE?

Oh and I might be in Lexington the 24th or so for the drift event. Think the VE will be fixed by then?

~Alex

Old 04-12-2007, 12:37 PM

Well, the repair shop thinks the engine is fine, which would only leave the turbo as a possible issue.

About 1/2 year ago the engine made a terrible back fire and since then white smoke has been exiting the tail pipe.

I'm gonna remove the turbo and turbo parts, reconnect the stock ECU and rework the intake and fire it up to see if the repair shop is right or if the head/intake gaskets are blown.

Either way, I may just leave it NA until I fix the turbo or engine.

Also the clutch needs to be replaced or fixed.

I'm hoping that maybe a this weekend I'll have everything apart, and do some testing, without the turbo installed.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:32 PM

Maybe this is silly, but before you do all that work, wouldn't it be easier to do a compression test, and / or a leakdown test to see if you perhaps have a bad head gasket. You might also want to note whether the coolant level is going down (should be) and check the condition of the motor oil, see if there is any milky residue at the oil filler cap, or elsewhere indicating coolant is getting into the crankcase. I would think that testing these things will likely be a lot easier, and tell you more, than tearing the turbo out will.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:14 PM
kthxbye2u

wow... your right... i havent seen you in a while

that sucks that your VE-T isnt working properly
im doing a clutch swap soon good luck with yours
and its good you got your 89 to a driver that could fix it up (not saying you COULDNT)

glad to see that your back on... i didnt miss you when you were gone but now that i know you were gone... i did kinda miss you ahahahahah

just kidding.............but seriously
Old 04-14-2007, 04:05 PM

Update:

We tested the compression and only the front left cylinder was low (150psi) and it was still within Nissan spec

And we cleaned the spark plugs, the engine has been running rich so all the plugs were black and nasty.

Also the battery connection was very weak in the trunk, which made things worst

But, she won’t rev past 2500RPM, which from what I've read means the MAF is bad.

I swapped over a MAF from my old 89 maxim and it didn’t help, so I got to looking at the wires and notice that the MAF plug on my 92's MAF only has 4 metal female connectors inside the plug, and my 89 has 5 going into its MAF.

Is this normal for the VE, or did a connector fall out?
Old 04-14-2007, 04:37 PM
kthxbye2u

yeah there are 4 connectors 2 copper and 2 silver if this helps
Old 04-17-2007, 05:39 AM

It was a broken wire on the ECU wiring harness where the MAF wires come into the computer. Ah how nice is that field service manual.

The car is now running and we finished off what was left of the clutch...

Assuming nothing is wrong with the tranny, the car should be running by this weekend.

I'll post up with some pics/videos

Thanks everyone!
Old 04-17-2007, 03:18 PM
kthxbye2u

oh kool glad it was....fairly easy

please... thats all i want from you now

pics and vids!!!!
Old 04-19-2007, 03:09 PM