3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Bodywork/repair questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 08:26 AM

Bodywork/repair questions

Hello all. I have been gone from the .org for awhile because my max has been out of commission since february, and i simultaneously got laid off from work.
Well, I'm now ready to start the process of repairing my car, and I have some questions. First, my car was hit on the right side, just in front of the right front tire. The fender has been pushed in a bit, and the corner light was smashed (I'll post pics later). The bumper corner below my cornering light was pushed in a bit, as well. First, do you guys think that I will have to replace the entire bumper cover in order to repair this damage? I am for sure going to replace the fender. I am not experienced with body work, and so I will likely be taking it to a body shop since I am not claiming this on my insurance since I only have liability (by the way I have a '94 black emerald SE auto). Does anyone have a ballpark figure on how much this will cost? Also, the car was drivable after this accident, but a few weeks later, the car had problems. I was on a 45mph road when I lost power, and the engine sounded really deep, like something just happened with my exhaust. It was hard for the car to shift, and it barely could get past 50mph. Acceleration was ridiculously slow. I asked a friend of mine who is a mechanic, and he said it could be a plugged cat. Does anyone know anything about this or have any experience with this? Sorry for the long thread, but I'm really anxious to get my max back on the road and in good condition. Life has been rough without it!
thanks!
Old 04-18-2007, 08:40 AM

Fenders aren't too expensive. What's expensive is the paint. Expect to pay around $400 if not more to have just the fender professionally painted. If you want to opt for the cheap way out, I know Rustoleum makes a metallic green that looks to me that it would be a decent match.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:55 PM

no estimates without pics.......................
the driveability issue probably isnt from the accident, rather a wear and tear issue. have your friend diagnose the problem better as a car is expensive
Old 04-19-2007, 08:33 PM

yeah, that does sound pretty expensive. Do you think I will have to replace the bumper too? I will post pics tomorrow of the damage.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:20 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

I'm gonna throw in my .02 cents even though you're asking for help without pics. I'd say you'll have to replace the fender and the bumper simply because I've noticed that the part of the bumper where the bolts go to hold it with the fender usually breaks. Mine is currently broken and I need a bumper cover so thats how I came up with your answer.

BTW I may have an emerald green fender in good condition so let me know if you're interested
Old 04-20-2007, 06:59 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
BTW I may have an emerald green fender in good condition so let me know if you're interested
Old 04-20-2007, 08:01 AM

sorry I've been slow with the pics, I have to upload them off my digital camera. But I will have them posted this afternoon. As for the fender, if you have the right front one in good shape, I'm definitely interested!
Old 04-20-2007, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by mcle0144
sorry I've been slow with the pics, I have to upload them off my digital camera. But I will have them posted this afternoon. As for the fender, if you have the right front one in good shape, I'm definitely interested!

I think I can get the left side but the right side may be damaged...I'll take a closer look today
Old 04-20-2007, 04:05 PM

Pics of the damage:

Hopefully now you guys can more accurately assess the damage to my car.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:10 PM

bumper looks fixable, fender needs to be changed. the apron behind it may be damaged, nothing too crazy though
Old 04-20-2007, 06:51 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by shavedmax
bumper looks fixable, fender needs to be changed. the apron behind it may be damaged, nothing too crazy though
figure you would know...i bet you can probably guess price.
Old 04-21-2007, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by DanNY
figure you would know...i bet you can probably guess price.

it depends on geographic location.....................
but to entertain you a marker lamp is probabaly 25 bucks used, upgrade to some clear corners from ebay instead. a fender will go for 75 bucks used, it'll probably be toughto find one without rust at the bottom by the door though. it takes a couple of hours to swap out the fender, you have to partially remove the bumper to change it though.

if you're planning on having a shop do all of it, probably about a grand, incl parts. but it depends on the areas and whether theyre going to take off the moldings, etc when they paint the door.

if you want to do it yourself i would suggest paiting the edges of the fender before you put it on the car(looks like your car is black or green, simple enough with a rattle can), the shop isnt going to be able to do it later without taking it off again.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:17 AM

Well said shavedmax.
Old 04-21-2007, 03:06 PM

thanks shavedmax, your input is very helpful. My car is indeed dark-green (black emerald). I think that I might have a shop do it, because I don't have any experience with bodywork, and I definitely want it done right. Also, I might have attempted it if it was just the fender, but the front bumper was pushed in a little as well (you can see in the pics), and that definitely complicates things because the apron behind the fender was bent as well.