Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) (https://maxima.org/forums/3rd-generation-maxima-1989-1994-8/)
-   -   turbo 3rd gens (https://maxima.org/forums/3rd-generation-maxima-1989-1994/394531-turbo-3rd-gens.html)

dead2fall 05-11-2007 12:37 PM

turbo 3rd gens

just wondering if i could take a look at everyone that is turbo'd :) thanks

Pervis Anathema 05-11-2007 12:58 PM

Not much to see. Everyone here either bought the kit from Stillen or swapped in a 2JZ.

mikekantor 05-11-2007 01:38 PM

what stillen kit? I thought most turbo 3rds just collected various nissan Z parts, put them together, and had a shop make some custom piping.

Greeny 05-11-2007 02:38 PM

:rotz::rotz:

xx-Marshall-xx 05-11-2007 02:48 PM

$20 can go a long way you know...

Greeny 05-11-2007 05:47 PM

This is my personal favorite...:)

http://uploader.ws/upload/200705/turbo_1_Medium.jpg

mAd skIlLs yO!!

MrGone 05-11-2007 06:10 PM

Someone is mighty brave to let Bijan touch their car :noes:

Chris Gregg 05-11-2007 08:06 PM

Here's where my $20 went.
http://a670.ac-images.myspacecdn.com...de414ec5d5.jpg

http://a224.ac-images.myspacecdn.com...89498f8747.jpg

N34JZ 05-11-2007 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by MrGone
Someone is mighty brave to let Bijan touch their car :noes:

:werd:

Jon94SE 05-12-2007 01:17 AM

I also haven't heard of any stillen kit. I feel like a big dumb now..:(

maxmaxima91 05-12-2007 01:17 PM

To bad there aren't more people big into experimenting in the maxima community. if there were there would be more turbo maximas.

xx-Marshall-xx 05-12-2007 06:46 PM

if i was rich i would :)

mikekantor 05-12-2007 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by maxmaxima91
To bad there aren't more people big into experimenting in the maxima community. if there were there would be more turbo maximas.

I plan to try it in the future, not really because I need a turbo (and I dont think it belongs on a FWD car, especially an automatic)... but just to add an experience like that to my car knowledge and skill repertoire.

My biggest confusion is about running the oil lines, but once I start the reading and research I'm sure I'll get up to speed on everything.

Cliff Clavin 05-12-2007 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by maxmaxima91

It's a lot of work and fabrication to get a 15 year old car going. It seems like there isn't much support (aftermarket) for any of it, either. Bolt-ons are one thing, but going turbo requires a lot of work in a variety of areas.

A lot of people don't have 1) the time 2) the money 3) the know-how to take on a project like that. Most guys on here have their 3rd gen as their only means of transportation, so they can't afford days or weeks of downtime to get a turbo operation running.

Also, most that get the money would rather just spend a few thousand on a down payment toward something newer, reliable and RWD. Thus, the large movement toward the G35 among former Maxima owners.

maxmaxima91 05-13-2007 09:27 AM

all very good points...... still kinda sad tho, i wish these cars were as cheap to turbo as hondas, theres so many of them.

Alex_V 05-13-2007 10:31 AM

And they hold up much better to turboing then honda's as well.

~Alex

mrkanda 05-13-2007 10:58 AM

It seems that the few who have turboed have done it in different ways (routing the piping, etc.). It would be interested to have an idea of what the different options are for those of us who will tackle such a project in the future. All I'm waiting on is the $. That should be sometime this year.

4signs 05-13-2007 11:25 AM

and heres my $20.00
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/451812
The engine management alone is worth more than the car:hide:

dead2fall 05-13-2007 01:41 PM

what kind of management?

4signs 05-13-2007 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by dead2fall
what kind of management?

aem ems:rollsmile

The Max 05-14-2007 07:32 PM

MoTeC M800 here.

Chris Gregg 05-16-2007 06:20 PM

Romulator piggyback (via LiveEdit). Boost control via Apexi AVC-r.

Soaknfused 05-16-2007 07:10 PM

So, really... doing all the fab work oneself, what is a realistic amount to expect to dump into a good, reliable turbo set up on a VG? My wheels are turning... and fast now.

maxmaxima91 05-17-2007 06:19 AM

3-4000 in my opinion to do a mediocre job... and afterwards you always keep spending it on more parts.

TimberJon 05-17-2007 09:29 AM

I will probably budget in about 30K initially. But I have to plan the CAD for the front end change, have a custom FRP bumper made, and slip in things like BMW headies, and Toyota projector fogs. I'll be upgrading everything in tandem, like suspension, sensors, exhaust, wheels, axles, driveshafts, CVDs, Maybe one big turbo, maybe 2 medium sized ones. Will try to swap over to more modern parts to make replacement easier in the future. Some chassis stiffening where I can, and alot of welding as I want to turn the beast RWD or AWD, whichever I can get good parts for. All in the planning, As for tuning, Not sure What im going to be getting yet. The level of ECU that I will need depends on whether or not I'll have RWD only or AWD, and the parts and tech that I put into her.

Hopefully It will chug, and not be too loud. Setting a goal of 600whp. Still picking out engine and researching.

Remember, my mechanic is freeee! So I save money on Fab, CAD and install. I need to pay for parts, dyno and tuner. Gotta find a good tuner..

mikekantor 05-17-2007 10:51 AM

I wish you the best luck, and that car would be very impressive... but this is more of a "I'll believe it when I see it" moment.

maxmaxima91 05-17-2007 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by TimberJon
I will probably budget in about 30K initially. But I have to plan the CAD for the front end change, have a custom FRP bumper made, and slip in things like BMW headies, and Toyota projector fogs. I'll be upgrading everything in tandem, like suspension, sensors, exhaust, wheels, axles, driveshafts, CVDs, Maybe one big turbo, maybe 2 medium sized ones. Will try to swap over to more modern parts to make replacement easier in the future. Some chassis stiffening where I can, and alot of welding as I want to turn the beast RWD or AWD, whichever I can get good parts for. All in the planning, As for tuning, Not sure What im going to be getting yet. The level of ECU that I will need depends on whether or not I'll have RWD only or AWD, and the parts and tech that I put into her.

Hopefully It will chug, and not be too loud. Setting a goal of 600whp. Still picking out engine and researching.

Remember, my mechanic is freeee! So I save money on Fab, CAD and install. I need to pay for parts, dyno and tuner. Gotta find a good tuner..

....defiantly an "ill believe it when i see it" moment.. and... some of this stuff doesn't even make sense....

CapedCadaver 05-17-2007 12:55 PM

I will probably budget in about 30K initially. But I have to plan the CAD ... ... RWD only or AWD, and the parts and tech that I put into her.

are you changing to a manual or leaving it automatic? a 600WHP TT RWD/AWD-convert monster Maxima a/t would be a pity, for sure.

The Max 05-17-2007 06:59 PM

Not necessarily. Good for holding boost since the foot never has to come off the accelerator. ;)

mikekantor 05-17-2007 07:04 PM

as long as we are day-dreaming, might as well mount an Audi or Nissan CVT tranny.

Chris Gregg 05-17-2007 07:23 PM

I prefer the saying: "I'll see it when I believe it." Why does this crap get responded to instead of ignored?

dead2fall 05-17-2007 08:59 PM

uhh,
i ment more along the lines of POST PICS so i can see them, not random stuff , like OH IF I HAD A MILLION DOLLARS i would ... ect ect.
hahaha :)

CapedCadaver 05-17-2007 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by The Max
Not necessarily. Good for holding boost since the foot never has to come off the accelerator. ;)

true, never thought about the whole boost-dropping issue.

The Max 05-18-2007 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by capedcadaver
true, never thought about the whole boost-dropping issue.

It'll still fluctuate since it has to rev a lower when it shifts a gear but you've got some boost to get you going. To give you an example, I see about 10PSI before my auto shifts and when it does, I see about 6PSI at the onset of that shift. I was quite sceptical about that in the development stages but when I was told about that being a benefit of having the auto by a MoTeC authorised tuner (who has been in the business for decades), I took consolation and when the car came back out on the road, he was right - naturally.

Pervis Anathema 05-18-2007 03:08 AM

This will never happen.