3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 05:21 PM

Help!!!

I replaced the factory H/U on my '90 GXE. The amp fuse is not blown. I'm not getting any sound from the rear speakers. I've posted a similar thread in the Audio / Electronics forum, but no answers. Anyone know how I can bypass the amp and ling directly to the rear speakers?
Old 06-19-2007, 05:27 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

You need to hook up the rear speaker amp to a switched source..IIRC it's the blue amp wire if you used the Scosche adapter harness..
Old 06-19-2007, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by MyGreenMax94
You need to hook up the rear speaker amp to a switched source..IIRC it's the blue amp wire if you used the Scosche adapter harness..
Do you mind breaking that down a little more for me? I'm kinda dumb with elecrtronics as far as hooking wires up, etc. LOL
Old 06-19-2007, 05:40 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Did you use the Scosche harness adapter kit?
Old 06-19-2007, 05:44 PM

Did you use the Scosche harness adapter kit?
yes i did use that adapter harness. sorry
Old 06-19-2007, 05:50 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by bLiNg_ThEoRy
yes i did use that adapter harness. sorry

Ok,their should be a amp hookup wire on the Scosche harness,usually blue with "amp" written on the wire..Hook it up to your rear amp,i don't recall which one on the car is the rear amp wire though,but if nobody else chimes in,i will pull my h/u out of my gxe tomorrow to be sure..
Old 06-19-2007, 05:57 PM

They're almost always blue in my experiance...
Old 06-19-2007, 05:59 PM

Ok,their should be a amp hookup wire on the Scosche harness,usually blue with "amp" written on the wire..Hook it up to your rear amp,i don't recall which one on the car is the rear amp wire though,but if nobody else chimes in,i will pull my h/u out of my gxe tomorrow to be sure..
Wow. I really hate to put you through all that trouble, but thanks a lot! Thanks bro! You rock
Old 06-19-2007, 06:19 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Wow. I really hate to put you through all that trouble, but thanks a lot! Thanks bro! You rock

Meh,it's no trouble..5 minute job..
Old 06-20-2007, 06:27 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Answer might be in here:

http://www.installdr.com/InstallDocs...PDF/647037.pdf
Old 06-20-2007, 07:06 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Old 06-20-2007, 10:55 AM

Thanks again! Works perfectly now.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:26 AM

Thanks again! Works perfectly now.
I guess all i need now is a new amp. LOL. The original factory Clarion amp is almost deceased as it does a lot of popping with non-consistant volume levels. Is there a adapter harness to replace the factory amp with an aftermarket amp? Thanks again.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:46 AM

I bypassed the amp.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=430333

Depends on how much money you have to spend or how serious you are about your car stereo.

The pros say don't even bother with rear speakers because the soundstage of any decent system should be in FRONT of you so spend your time and money putting in brackets for 6.5 speakers in the front. Then get some really nice speakers to put there.

I needed a quick cheap fix when my deck died and wanted to take advantage of the decent speakers I replaced the stock ones with so I got a new budget deck and 1/2 din eq/amp that goes underneath it in the dash. Had to buy an install kit and give up my cup holder but oh well. The eq/amp has a mp3 input so that is what I use to listen to all my music.

If you don't want to upgrade your front I would replace speakers in the rear and just follow the instructions in one of those posts in the thread above to bypass that amp in back. I suppose you could just bypass the amp and use the same speakers but if they're the stock speakers I don't know how well they will work. I think they were made to function in conjunction with those amps (hence the "active speaker" whatever the hell that means).
Old 06-20-2007, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by crabapple
I bypassed the amp.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=430333

Depends on how much money you have to spend or how serious you are about your car stereo.

The pros say don't even bother with rear speakers because the soundstage of any decent system should be in FRONT of you so spend your time and money putting in brackets for 6.5 speakers in the front. Then get some really nice speakers to put there.

I needed a quick cheap fix when my deck died and wanted to take advantage of the decent speakers I replaced the stock ones with so I got a new budget deck and 1/2 din eq/amp that goes underneath it in the dash. Had to buy an install kit and give up my cup holder but oh well. The eq/amp has a mp3 input so that is what I use to listen to all my music.

If you don't want to upgrade your front I would replace speakers in the rear and just follow the instructions in one of those posts in the thread above to bypass that amp in back. I suppose you could just bypass the amp and use the same speakers but if they're the stock speakers I don't know how well they will work. I think they were made to function in conjunction with those amps (hence the "active speaker" whatever the hell that means).
Are the schematics the same for the Active Speaker / Clarion amp / non-Bose system in the GXE models? Man, this crap is both confusing and irritating. LOL. Actually, I sort of wanted to take the cheap way out on getting the stereo system to sound good. I don't want a serious aftermarket sound system at this time, but I would like to get some great sound out of the factory locations w/o having to rewire the car (which costs $$)... just something simple. Even replacing the factory amp if it isn't too expensive.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:57 AM

I believe so.

EDIT: You're asking a lot from 17 year old speakers.

You might check over in the audio/video classifieds or your local craigslist for a pair of nice used speakers (they're 6.5 in the back) then bypass the amps in the back.

Or like I said, get the brackets so you can put 6.5s in the front and forget about the back. You'd probably need an amp in that case though to get a nice full sound. You can get the brackets on ebay for pretty cheap or make them yourself.

http://www.geocities.com/craigbrace/

Or again, just bypass the amp and see what happens. Your new HU probably as a built in amp so it might work ok for your purposes.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by crabapple
I believe so.

EDIT: You're asking a lot from 17 year old speakers.

You might check over in the audio/video classifieds or your local craigslist for a pair of nice used speakers (they're 6.5 in the back) then bypass the amps in the back.

Or like I said, get the brackets so you can put 6.5s in the front and forget about the back. You'd probably need an amp in that case though to get a nice full sound. You can get the brackets on ebay for pretty cheap or make them yourself.

http://www.geocities.com/craigbrace/

Or again, just bypass the amp and see what happens. Your new HU probably as a built in amp so it might work ok for your purposes.
OK... I tried bypassing and it's not working. My speakers are definitely 1ohm which sucks! I am just going to listen to the stereo in it's current condition and have a pro hook my system up right. I guess now I will have be "not-so-cheap." I can't be riding around half-steppin' with da sound, so... yeah. Thanks again for your help MyGreenMax94 and crabapple