3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

other engines in 3rd gen

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 05:15 PM

other engines in 3rd gen

what engines and tranny will fit in the 3rd gen. i know fabrication is needed for all other engines but i want to know what will fit. 3.5? possibly? im looking at a complete rebuild right now anyway. y not just upgrade with the same lovely body. or honda? hahahaha
Old 08-14-2007, 05:52 PM
bald aggression est 78

Originally Posted by mooze
what engines and tranny will fit in the 3rd gen. i know fabrication is needed for all other engines but i want to know what will fit. 3.5? possibly? im looking at a complete rebuild right now anyway. y not just upgrade with the same lovely body. or honda? hahahaha
or honda!!!!!!! not funny just messin .there has been talk about different engines.buts its hard to find heck fab up a supercharger that'll be different
Old 08-14-2007, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Kountz430
or honda!!!!!!! not funny just messin .there has been talk about different engines.buts its hard to find heck fab up a supercharger that'll be different
would be if i was able to use it with my ve. but my engines done. so i need 2 replace it
Old 08-14-2007, 06:10 PM
dot dot dot ...

So, does anyone remember that said to have a VQ30DEK swap?

Little bit of info I found from the man himself.
http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...62&postcount=4
Old 08-14-2007, 07:00 PM
mod or sell?

you can swap in whatever you want, as long you have the proper equipment.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

oh, and don't ferget da nawledge (knowledge in english) to do the task as well. Theres a lot more to swapping engines than just physically making it fit between the wheels and under the hood.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:38 PM
dot dot dot ...

All the knowledge/equipment in the world is nothing without the $$$.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:17 PM

If you don't have money to buy a new car, you definitely don't have the money (and time) to swap in a different motor/ tranny...Rewiring a wiring harness FTL...
Old 08-14-2007, 08:22 PM
Alex_V

not to be condescending or anything but your car needs lots of work before you do an engine swap. You should take care of all the little problems, upgrade suspension etc etc before you spend the big bucks on an engine swap.

A swap like that will nickel and dime you to death if you aren't prepared for it, plus lots of down time.

Your best bet is to go stand alone and turbo. You can get a megasquirt setup for $300 ish, then add a few hundered for some gauges and stuff, then add 2K+ for turbo parts and add 2K for random other stuff.

You'll make plenty of power, and it'll be reliable as long as your meticulous.

~Alex

Old 08-15-2007, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by maxitech
If you don't have money to buy a new car, you definitely don't have the money (and time) to swap in a different motor/ tranny...Rewiring a wiring harness FTL...
not the issue. honestly i would rather go that route but im not the funding source. my father is since im still in school. for some odd reason he doesnt want me to use the ve anymore and would rather put completely different engine in. he tried to talk me into a vg and i say and will continue to say that he can buy the car from me if he puts in the vg. nothing really against it. i just dont want to go back to a vg. looks as though i will be without a max for a while but the ole 93 will be revived one day
Old 08-15-2007, 01:38 AM

for those who dont know im not doing this just for an engine upgrade. the engine in my car is dead. not trying to fix it this time
Old 08-15-2007, 02:42 AM
Would be lost w/out the org

Why not a VG? Besides the sohc and timing belt instead of chain...the engine is a GREAT starting point for almost any modification you'd want. If the block can hold over 1000 hp, and cost isn't an issue, why don't you condsider building up another VG? or turning it into a 3.4, or something where you can use an engine that actually fits in the car?? The VE is a very good engine, but the VG is tried and true an excellent reliable performer with any modification you throw at it....just a thought. I never understand the people that don't like the VG engine!
Old 08-15-2007, 03:39 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Swapping in a vg engine on a ve auto platform would be a massive undertaking. Not only do you have to swap out the ENTIRE engine wiring harness,you will need to swap out the ecu as well. Then comes the biggest issue,the ve automatic tranmission will not work on a vg engine do to the flexplates being different(search for more details),so you would also be looking at a manual trans swap on top of an engine swap.

If you cant fix whatever the problem is with your ve engine,then this project would surely be much more than you could handle mechanically. Not to mention all the time and money you would be spending on swapping when complete vg autos/5 speeds are a dime a dozen these days.

Either pay someone to fix your ve correctly or buy another maxima/other car.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by MyGreenMax94
Swapping in a vg engine on a ve auto platform would be a massive undertaking. Not only do you have to swap out the ENTIRE engine wiring harness,you will need to swap out the ecu as well. Then comes the biggest issue,the ve automatic tranmission will not work on a vg engine do to the flexplates being different(search for more details),so you would also be looking at a manual trans swap on top of an engine swap.

If you cant fix whatever the problem is with your ve engine,then this project would surely be much more than you could handle mechanically. Not to mention all the time and money you would be spending on swapping when complete vg autos/5 speeds are a dime a dozen these days.

Either pay someone to fix your ve correctly or buy another maxima/other car.
NOT GOING TO THE VG. LOOKING TO THROWN IN A VQ. WE KNOW THAT EVERYTHING HAS TO BE SWAPPED. BUT WHICH ONES WILL CLEAR THE HOOD.
HERES THE DEAL. MY VE NEEDS A "COMPLETE REBUILD" AND I HAVE ACCESS TO ALL VQ ENGINES AT GIVE AWAY PRICES. IM TALKIN VQDEK 200 WITH TRANNY. THAT 7000 LESS THAN THE VE REBUILD. AND LETS NOT FORGET THE BIGGEST PART. IM NOT FUNDING AND THE GUY THAT IS WILL IS TRYING TO AVOID THE VE. Y? IM NOT SURE BUT THATS HOW IT IS
Old 08-15-2007, 06:53 AM

not the issue. honestly i would rather go that route but im not the funding source. my father is since im still in school. for some odd reason he doesnt want me to use the ve anymore and would rather put completely different engine in. he tried to talk me into a vg and i say and will continue to say that he can buy the car from me if he puts in the vg. nothing really against it. i just dont want to go back to a vg. looks as though i will be without a max for a while but the ole 93 will be revived one day
Talk your dad into buying a JDM VE, it will probably be the cheapest way for you to keep the car and have it running without the massive undertaking of putting in an engine that wasnt designed for it.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:39 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

NOT GOING TO THE VG. LOOKING TO THROWN IN A VQ. WE KNOW THAT EVERYTHING HAS TO BE SWAPPED. BUT WHICH ONES WILL CLEAR THE HOOD.
HERES THE DEAL. MY VE NEEDS A "COMPLETE REBUILD" AND I HAVE ACCESS TO ALL VQ ENGINES AT GIVE AWAY PRICES. IM TALKIN VQDEK 200 WITH TRANNY. THAT 7000 LESS THAN THE VE REBUILD. AND LETS NOT FORGET THE BIGGEST PART. IM NOT FUNDING AND THE GUY THAT IS WILL IS TRYING TO AVOID THE VE. Y? IM NOT SURE BUT THATS HOW IT IS
My first statement was directed at traxtar,not you..

Good luck with the vq swap,but don't bother posting a "how do i swap a vq in my 3rd gen thread?" as none of us have done this swap.