3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Is this how it ends?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 09:24 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Is this how it ends?

I just got a call from home that my car is deep in water from the rain we are having here today. Although I dont hold highly the opinion of the person who called me, she says the car may be carried away by the water.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:03 AM

and ur just sitting in front of the computer typing?
Old 08-16-2007, 10:13 AM

Yeah dude, what's the problem. Swim out there and hold onto your car so it doesn't get washed away.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:14 AM

Correct, sitting at work and typing. Not much I can do at the moment. Whatever can happen has already happened. If there is enough water to carry it away then I have no hope of getting to it, much less driving to higher ground.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:20 AM

That's like letting go of my child and saying oh well. F'that! I'd be swimming to that somebich, throwing it in neutral and pushing my love to safety! I couldn't let her die alone like that, never!
Old 08-16-2007, 10:21 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by mikekantor
Correct, sitting at work and typing. Not much I can do at the moment. Whatever can happen has already happened. If there is enough water to carry it away then I have no hope of getting to it, much less driving to higher ground.

+1 stay where you are,the car is not worth your safety. Not to mention you could be in the way of rescue efforts in the area.

Sorry to hear though..
Old 08-16-2007, 10:23 AM
I can has?

Here in downtown St. Augustine it floods like 2-3.5 feet downtown in some area's. My mom used to take the VG to work almost every day and it would sometimes flood like that. It really didn't ever have a problem although she usually parked it in her little VIP spot. But it has seen 3 feet of water and I've never had a problem with it...
Old 08-16-2007, 10:25 AM

The weather has calmed down, and from what I hear the car is still in the same place I left it, I'll check it out once I get home.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:26 AM
Sexier Than Simpson

Make sure you get her to take pics and post them.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:27 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Don't forget pics of the carnage.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:41 AM

If there is water inside, I'll try to get video of it pouring out as I open the door.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:41 AM
STFU n00b!

Certain places in Houston will get 15-20 ft under water during heavy rains. the companies that are supposed to be maintaining the pumps and such to keep the low lying areas pumped clear aren't doing their stuff and the city isn't doing anything about it. always been that way, always will.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
Certain places in Houston will get 15-20 ft under water during heavy rains. the companies that are supposed to be maintaining the pumps and such to keep the low lying areas pumped clear aren't doing their stuff and the city isn't doing anything about it. always been that way, always will.
Yet another reason why I will never live in Texas...
Old 08-16-2007, 12:33 PM

Make sure you dont crank the engine until you emtpy the water out of the airbox if it got that high.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Maximahappy22
Make sure you dont crank the engine until you emtpy the water out of the airbox if it got that high.
No airbox... I got a CAI but havent finished the installation so at the moment it is a HAI.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:54 PM
mod or sell?

pull the plugs before cranking over the engine!
then crank it to get out any water that may have gotten in.
an immediate oil change is also a must.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:35 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by internetautomar
pull the plugs before cranking over the engine!
then crank it to get out any water that may have gotten in.
an immediate oil change is also a must.
also if you have an a/t some water could have gotten up into that air hose at the top of your transmission.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:23 PM

The interior was completely dry, good job building the car Nissan!

Dirt all over the wheel, leaf in caliper, rusty disc, water for sure made it over the wheel:

Stuffed with tree crap:

Everything inside was completely filled with this stuff, every crevice, in the belts, on top of the y-pipe, inside the engine mounts:

Looks like the water cleared the AC compressor, and occasionally splashed the front of the valve cover. Starter and alternator were submerged for sure, but relays, the battery, coils, injectors, etc did not get wet. I dont think any water got into the intake, maybe a bit splashed the cone filter, but there wouldnt be enough to make it all the way up to the throttle or blow-by hoses.

I cleaned as much as I could reach, but did not try to start it. I think there may be twigs inside the alternator, and more stuff on the y-pipe and cat. I dont want sparks or fire, so for now it will sit and dry. Tomorrow I'll get under it to clean more of this stuff out, and I'll try to spin the alternator and see if it can spin freely, or if I need to take it off and clean it thoroughly.

RE: Oil, I have front and rear main seal leaks, but its not like they are gushing oil, its a few drops here and there. Water could've gotten in there, not sure, so I'll change oil.

RE: A/T, I do have an Auto. I dont think the water could get in through the breather, but it is possible that some got in through the A/T dip stick.

My mom's 325i got caught in water while she was driving today, and it was towed back to her house. I installed a new air filter, and new spark plugs. After what seemed like eternity of spinning the starter, it stubbornly awoke and water came gushing out the tail pipes. I did a test drive after revving it a bit and doing a few restarts, that car is back to normal now, but I didnt expect it to survive the ordeal, very impressive. It will be getting new oil ASAP.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:24 PM

Old 08-16-2007, 07:59 PM
The Computer Guy

Take a nice pressure wash to that
Old 08-16-2007, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by nForce
Take a nice pressure wash to that
But... I already cleaned it.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:11 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

so are you just going to remove the belts, grille, engine bay guards, and whatever else you can uninstall without opening any fluid circuits, and just yank that crap out?

gosh your radiator fins... are probably crudded up. and your condenser too.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:16 PM

All that stuff is already cleaned out, there is some left around the y-pipe, which I will clean tomorrow when I'm under the car. I used a hose with a light flow of water, and my hands, to sweep everything out.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:51 PM
Fox Body FTW

Hate to see that happen to any car.. good thing it didn't do too much damage and didn't float away
Old 08-17-2007, 04:58 AM
Sexier Than Simpson

Wow, I thought you might have been exaggerating, but that is crazy. I will take the snow over the flooding, tornadoes, wild fires, hurricanes.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Bufflomike
Wow, I thought you might have been exaggerating, but that is crazy. I will take the snow over the flooding, tornadoes, wild fires, hurricanes.
Thankfully this state is large enough to have the wild fires on one end, tornadoes on the other, and flooding/hurricanes only hitting a few specific places. I lived in Austin during Katrina and the weather was fine there. Had I been in Houston, I could've at least prepared and parked my car in a tall garage. Over 6 years of living in the state this is the first time this has happened to me, although the last time Houston was flooded like this was 6 years ago, just before I moved down.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:46 AM
Way out West

Oregon has some fires and floods, but they usually only impact a very small percent of the population. It is crazy how big this country is and how different the weather can be from place to place.

Good luck with the car, Mike. Hopefully everything makes it out OK. It sounds like you have a good plan for keeping it alive.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:51 AM
Sexier Than Simpson

Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin
Oregon has some fires and floods, but they usually only impact a very small percent of the population. It is crazy how big this country is and how different the weather can be from place to place.

Good luck with the car, Mike. Hopefully everything makes it out OK. It sounds like you have a good plan for keeping it alive.

I lived in Portland for 8 years. We had a stretch of 42 days with no sun.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:40 AM
mod or sell?

all we get in Chicago are temperature extremes.
no hurricanes, no massive snow storms, no wild fires, no tornadoes (in the city).
we do get rain, and our roads flood in certain area.
we get snow but usually only a foot or so at a time.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:47 AM
I can has?

wow...

I guess I don't know the real meaning of the word flood...

Ours wasn't near as bad as that, I guess because it was JUST water, no debris. Ouch, looks like you'll be having fun with that the next few days...
Old 08-17-2007, 08:31 AM
mod or sell?

power washer....
Old 08-17-2007, 11:20 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by internetautomar
all we get in Chicago are temperature extremes.
no hurricanes, no massive snow storms, no wild fires, no tornadoes (in the city).
we do get rain, and our roads flood in certain area.
we get snow but usually only a foot or so at a time.

in raleigh, an inch of snow closes the schools. but that's because nobody in the south understands the concepts of torque vs traction, and thusly, can't drive in snow.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:21 PM
Way out West

I lived in Portland for 8 years. We had a stretch of 42 days with no sun.
I live in The Dalles. I don't think we have had measurable rain here since late May or early June. Allegedly, we have over 300 days of sunshine. I think it's more like 300+ days without rain, but sometimes we will get a winter inversion for a few weeks at a time that is depressing. We also have a fair amount of wind.

I am from the Portland area, though, and I got very sick of rain. I would think the massive snow in Buffalo would be worse than rain. I have seen pictures in my union magazine of letter carriers there trying to deliver mail in snow that was over their heads. People had to carve out tunnels to their front porches...
Old 08-17-2007, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin
... I have seen pictures in my union magazine of letter carriers there trying to deliver mail in snow that was over their heads. People had to carve out tunnels to their front porches...
"Neither Rain, Nor Sleet, Nor gloom of night"

When I lived in Wisconsin, 8" of snow wouldnt even close the schools.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:07 PM

all is not how it seems

Came inside to get the multimeter, and leave a quick update:

Interior WAS in water, and it stinks now. I was wondering why there was so much condensation inside the windows as I came near it. I think the OmniFi is dead, it was near the front passenger feet area. Not sure about ECU yet.

I got my 3-ton jack out to lift up the front end, that let the water drain from the exhaust.

Car wont start, I think the battery is dead, so I'm going out to check it. While I wait for another car to jump from, I'll be checking other electrical stuff, and the intake as well.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:36 PM

Interior WAS in water, and it stinks now. I was wondering why there was so much condensation inside the windows as I came near it. I think the OmniFi is dead, it was near the front passenger feet area. Not sure about ECU yet.

I got my 3-ton jack out to lift up the front end, that let the water drain from the exhaust.

Car wont start, I think the battery is dead, so I'm going out to check it. While I wait for another car to jump from, I'll be checking other electrical stuff, and the intake as well.

Makes me think of the time I drove in a couple feet of water. Only I didn't have any problem because it was running. Glad to see your trying to save it
Old 08-17-2007, 07:50 PM
Way out West

those aren't good signs...
Old 08-17-2007, 09:21 PM

You cant get rid of me that easy...

The jump worked quite fine, engine ran great, kept spewing steam and water out the tail pipe for a while. Some of the leaves I didnt see or couldnt reach sent up some smoke and gave a pleasant "campfire" aroma, but beyond that they were no trouble.

After a short test drive around the block, I pulled into the garage, and started tearing it apart.

Got the seats out. Got the carpet out, but had to cut it a bit by the ECU, not a clever design IMO. Cleaned up all the standing water didnt saturate the carpet, the drain plugs helped big time. Then cleaned more with some household cleaners. Also found a penny, some gum, and a pen!

After these photos, I installed the driver's seat, and some of the buttons.

I think the carpet may be salvageable after a good wash with some soap, it will however require new foam to go underneath but I think I have a source for that. The seats all absorbed water, even though it wasnt that deep inside, they just took it up anyway because they are essentially big spunges. The driver's seat took on the least water, but I'm sure they will all stink soon enough. Someone also told me that I might see problems with the wheel bearings because they were submerged in water, anyone want to comment on that?

So now I'm searching for locally-available 3'rd gen seats, might stop by some of the salvage places tomorrow, although they all leave seats inside the car when its put out to pasture so I doubt I'll find anything good unless I'm patient.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:58 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

I got 2 front plush seats I can sell dirt cheap and can ship really fast with my Fedex 75% discount I need em outta the garage
Old 08-17-2007, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
I got 2 front plush seats I can sell dirt cheap and can ship really fast with my Fedex 75% discount I need em outta the garage
I'm going to look at some tomorrow morning, so I'll let you know right after that. Got photos?

Quick Reply: Is this how it ends?