3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

How long till it will die?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 02:01 PM
The Computer Guy

How long till it will die?

So I bought a 94 5 speed tranny with 90k on it back in march installed it and now it sounds very loud when coasting or coming to a stop. The sound is like a high pitch waning, squeaking. I only hear it after driving the car for more then 15 mins and it can only be heard when the car is moving. This doesn’t apply to giving it gas the sound only happens when it is in gear and wheels are moving. I believe this is the ISB am I correct? How long till it gives out just kind of curious?
Old 08-17-2007, 02:10 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

That really doesn't sound like an isb issue,sounds like something is binding up in the driveline..

Do you have any broken motor mounts?
Old 08-17-2007, 02:17 PM
I'm needing a caw

I know this guy..........
Old 08-17-2007, 02:18 PM
The Computer Guy

I really don’t know this sound started about 3 days ago which is about the same time the drivers side axle popped out. It kind of sounds like dieing alternator but I just replaced it last fall. I do have lifetime warranty on it though.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:26 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

well then can't it be a problem with something in the area of the axle? possibly damaged at the time that the axle popped out?
Old 08-17-2007, 02:36 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
I know this guy..........

Did you help him with a tranny swap?
Old 08-17-2007, 05:12 PM
Would be lost w/out the org

throw out bearing? I know that it starts to whine when it is failing.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:22 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Key words here folks..

Originally Posted by nForce
and it can only be heard when the car is moving.
A bad throw out bearing will make noise even when the car is not moving,and only when the clutch pedal is pushed in.

If the sound is only when moving,then the problem should to be somewhere between the axles and the wheels.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:01 PM
Alex_V

I wonder if its a bad diff bearing? I know the 4th gens have lots of problems with them..

~Alex

Old 08-17-2007, 10:07 PM
The Computer Guy

I drove next to brick building and was able to hear that sound better. The noise starts as a slow waning then picks up to a higher squeal at 15mph then at 25 its cuts off no more sounds. When you come to a stop you can hear the sound waning down and it finally cuts out about 8 secs after the car has come to a complete stop. I am thinking its definitely transmission related but I have no idea what it could be and if it is sometime critical or not.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:43 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

dude I think you're cursed...just like I am with electrical issues
Old 08-17-2007, 10:58 PM
Banned

input shaft bearing i have the same problem but mine hasnt gotten to bad yet and plan on doing a full rebuild when i get into manual transmissions in spring quarter at college. i recently replaced my reverse/nuetral switch and in turn also replaced the trans gear for redline 75/90w gear oil.lessened the sound of the Input Shaft Bearing for the moment unfortunately its not a permanent fix but temporary.
Old 08-18-2007, 07:25 AM
kthxbye2u

does it stop when you push in the clutch?...

I also started to get a whining sound from my car but when I push in the clutch it stops.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:52 AM
The Computer Guy

Originally Posted by xx-Marshall-xx
does it stop when you push in the clutch?...

I also started to get a whining sound from my car but when I push in the clutch it stops.
No pushing in the clutch does nothing to the sound. If you have ever heard a rabbit screaming or a mouse being attacked that’s what my car sounds like but little louder
Old 08-18-2007, 05:34 PM
Banned

if the sound only happens while the transmission is engaged as in clutch is out and the car is moving either forward or backwards. or when its in neutral and the clutch is not being pushed in then it is the Input shaft Bearing. But if he has the sound when the clutch is in its park position as in not engaged then it could be TOB or even the pressure plate or clutch plate within the the pressure plate or a combination of different problems arising all at once,
Old 08-18-2007, 06:34 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

No pushing in the clutch does nothing to the sound. If you have ever heard a rabbit screaming or a mouse being attacked that’s what my car sounds like but little louder
how about if you're at speed and clutch it and toss it into N? then what? still noise?
Old 08-18-2007, 11:34 PM
The Computer Guy

Clutch and N have nothing to do with the sound. The sound is there as long as the wheels are moving I have tried n and clutching it and still have same sound. The sound is slowly getting louder today it sounded little bit louder then yesterday. Is my tranny gonna blow up
Old 08-18-2007, 11:50 PM

I know nothing but this is definately something between the wheels and the axles as previously mentioned. I'd jack the car up on stands, start it up and put it on drive while someone is there to help in case of anything... See where the noise is coming from. Report to us and be
Old 08-19-2007, 06:42 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
I know nothing but this is definately something between the wheels and the axles as previously mentioned. I'd jack the car up on stands, start it up and put it on drive while someone is there to help in case of anything... See where the noise is coming from. Report to us and be
and i suppose it will be easier to hear if you put it in 5th, so it will be spinning fast relative to your engine at idle when you jack it up. I know that would be the case for me, since i have an exhaust leak i would just have to sort of.. work the car up through the gears (which is really weird to do on an automatic when jacked up) and by the time it's in 4th gear, the differential was whining b/c i had one wheel still on the ground.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:06 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Sorry to say this, but Alex is on to something.....
Old 08-19-2007, 08:13 AM
The Computer Guy

well the sound goes away at speeds over 25mph its like a bearing or something has went dry and its squeaking.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:13 AM
The Computer Guy

Im gonna try to make a video of it today and show you guys...
Old 08-19-2007, 10:30 AM
I can has?

God, that tranny just won't leave you alone will it ?
Old 08-19-2007, 12:08 PM
The Computer Guy

yea tell me about it. If this one does give out it will be the 3rd tranny I have went threw my maxima in less then 6 months Guess my engine likes to eat trannys
Old 08-19-2007, 03:55 PM

yea your engine must be gay if it likes trannies where that video dammit!?
Old 08-19-2007, 05:39 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

well the sound goes away at speeds over 25mph its like a bearing or something has went dry and its squeaking.
have you tested it to 25+ in each individual gear? like, to see if it is different in 1-2 than in 3-5, because if i'm reading the FSM correctly, the synchros for 1 and 2 are on the mainshaft whereas all the other gears sync and engage from the input shaft. Just something to ponder, as if you don't have enough to ponder already.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:09 PM
The Computer Guy

Here are the videos..
First is the sound and second is the first start up and you can really hear the ISB...

Old 08-19-2007, 07:50 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

That doesn't sound like a bad isb at all,sounds more like a bad accessory belt tensioner pulley.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:59 PM
The Computer Guy

Should I spray some belt dressing around the belts and pulley area?
Old 08-19-2007, 08:11 PM

I'm gonna have to agree with greeny on this one. I doubt belt dressing would help. your bearing is probably bad
Old 08-19-2007, 08:14 PM
LvR

Originally Posted by MyGreenMax94
That doesn't sound like a bad isb at all,sounds more like a bad accessory belt tensioner pulley.
+1

Cambelt tensioner?

Alt itself?
Old 08-19-2007, 08:21 PM
The Computer Guy

Wouldnt I hear this if I gave it gas and not when the tires were moving? I only hear that sound when its been driven for about 10+ mins and only when its under 25mph with tires moving. Notice how the bottem video doesnt have that sound but the top does? The top was taken after I drove the car for about 20 mins. I had it up on jackstands and was shifting through the gears.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:44 PM
LvR

Wouldnt I hear this if I gave it gas and not when the tires were moving? I only hear that sound when its been driven for about 10+ mins and only when its under 25mph with tires moving. Notice how the bottem video doesnt have that sound but the top does? The top was taken after I drove the car for about 20 mins. I had it up on jackstands and was shifting through the gears.
In theory I agree, but with the quality of the audio on those videos, I am sticking to what my ears are telling me.

Guess it would be much easier to actually hear the right thing if one is actually there?

Given the amount of background info/experience with the problem you already have, I am amazed that you have not already located the source of that noise - I would repeat the exercises you took the video with (also having made sure the car is safe to be revved in gear with you under it) and with a shortened broomstick held to your ear, go around pressing the other end of the stick allover the bottom of the box/hub/axle/engine - many a funky squeak/rattle/ping have been successfully located this way

Another thought .................. since you mention speed being involved - what about the power steering pump? - why not simply remove all ancillary belts altogether and confirm that wacky idea to be exactly that? - if the belts are not there any rotating thing that may be able to cause the racket is not in a state of agitation
Old 08-20-2007, 07:24 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Well,now that i know the car was up on jackstands

My best guess on the noise would be the carrier/support bearing on the passenger side axle has crapped out,but still check the accessory belt tensioners for the source of the noise before you replace the support bearing..
Old 08-20-2007, 01:06 PM
The Computer Guy

The sound had magically disappeared! It down pored rain and I am thinking maybe some how the rain lubricated a bearing or something causing it not to make noise. What do you all think?
Old 08-20-2007, 01:47 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

The sound had magically disappeared! It down pored rain and I am thinking maybe some how the rain lubricated a bearing or something causing it not to make noise. What do you all think?

I think it will be back soon..
Old 08-20-2007, 03:50 PM
The Computer Guy

Originally Posted by MyGreenMax94
I think it will be back soon..
Why must you always be negative you should be for negativity
ha well I am just playing we will see how long it lasts..
Old 08-20-2007, 06:54 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Here are the videos..
First is the sound and second is the first start up and you can really hear the ISB...

wow your VG sounds very very different from mine. what muffler? it just sounds so much.. beefier

back on topic, i've noticed that sometimes my brakes operate more smoothly when it's raining. Almost as if they stop faster when it's raining. But that may just be a misperception, because my pedal is soft for the first 60% of the travel. As for the sound your car has, Todd... I still think it is because of your axle mishap.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:19 PM
The Computer Guy

Well it sounds beefy because it has WSP Y-Pipe / eBay Muffler / Magna Flow Cat / eBay Intake Filter and that was not even opened up past 3100 rpms think of it at 5000 or 6000 the muffler pops when I shift at those rpms
Old 08-20-2007, 07:22 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Well it sounds beefy because it has WSP Y-Pipe / eBay Muffler / Magna Flow Cat / eBay Intake Filter and that was not even opened up past 3100 rpms think of it at 5 or 6
i have ebay intake filter, cracked stock ypipe, rusty w/ rattling heatshield stock cat, stock muffler. no wonder, right?

i'm done being off topic i swear. we can use PM if we want to continue..

on the video did you use all gears or just 1-3-5?

Quick Reply: How long till it will die?