3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Depo e36 euro + tsx projector retro!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 06:53 AM
heresmymind

Depo e36 euro + tsx projector retro!

Alright so I bought a pair of these:

and retro'd in a pair of tsx projectors. They are the easiest light EVER to retro. the lens pops off with 4 clips on each side. which is btw a very heavy-doody glass lens. just undo the adjustment screws and the internals come right out. the old projectors has 4 screws that come out. then you shave the 4 screw inserts down 4-5mm and place the tsx right in. you dont even have to rotationally insert it. the little ridges in the stock shroud line up with the lil nubs on the top of the tsx and the lens holder on the bottom almost clips in. 2 pieces of 2x.5" sheet metal for each side connecting the tsx projector and your done. it took me an entire 1 hours to have them completely done. mind you thats with 1 bathroom break 1 beer break. and screaming brothers playing video games in the background.

Now since i put them in a 94 Nissan maxima. which I had to cut away at TONS of radiator support. and make custom clips for my grill (zip tied to radiator support) which i had to shave like 1/2" off of each side. so that took me a few hours to get them to fit right being as flush as possible. they are slightly bigger than uspec headlights so they fill up the little bit of room on the between the bumper and the hood nicely.

aiming was mint. I was able to use the e36 ***** to adjust them since they were already horizontally level.

(best part is the depo projectors have 2.5" crystal clear lenses the same measurements as the tsx :-p so that will save me 50$ after i sell them

All together I PAID: 80$ for tsxs, 100$ for depos off bimmer forums. and 175$ for oem hid kit. when in all reality it should of been 125+200+225, not bad huh?

I will put up night pics tonight with a nice digital camera. but here they are.

I know my corners are messed up. they broke seals and chipped so I have a new pair coming in which i plan on smoking. there is about a 1/4" gap between the corner light and the healdight. and the headlights stick out maybe 1/4-1/2" past the cornors but you can barely tell. they sit flush with the grill.
-B

Old 08-28-2007, 07:56 AM
kthxbye2u

wow thats sweet yeah that price tag sounds WAY!!!! better than the quote you gave me for this set up

thanks for sharing
Old 08-28-2007, 08:21 AM

... when are you coming down to hook me up with this setup? comeon pick a day, ill buy beer
Old 08-28-2007, 08:23 AM
heresmymind

haha affter the amount of cutting i had to do ROFL. yuo wont be able to fit in any other lights not even stock again. u pay ill come:-p

Old 08-28-2007, 10:37 AM
heresmymind

Old 08-28-2007, 10:57 AM
Taking my Maxima to the Max!

The lenses still seems a little misaligned. Are they the Bimmer lenses? If so, do plan to switch them with Wade covers or Euro-clear lenses?
Old 08-28-2007, 09:43 PM
heresmymind

friends 97 maxima 4300 pnp kid stock housing

Old 08-29-2007, 05:01 AM

you could buy my euro corners and not smoke yours.......
Old 08-29-2007, 07:09 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by tripleGmax
you could buy my euro corners and not smoke yours.......
Or you can sell ME your euro corners and call it a day!
Old 08-29-2007, 03:38 PM

I have a set of 25000K HIDs I'm gonna put into my MAX...after all the paint and trim get done...thinkin of getting the Stillin kit with shaved moldings...and tinted taillights..
Old 08-29-2007, 04:03 PM
heresmymind

25000k? please research color temp

-B

Old 08-29-2007, 04:23 PM

Yup 25000K...they're purple as hell...they're 50-state illeagal...haha
Old 08-29-2007, 07:51 PM
Alex_V

You in CA? Are you sure you don't have a ticket for thinking of installing something like that? Plus the fact I'm not even sure they make a light at that K.

Your better off with a one or two leds as headlights then that "25000K bulb"

~Alex

Old 08-29-2007, 07:52 PM
heresmymind

no they are not legal. any retro in general is illegal. but 4300k is only LEGAL color 3000k in some states. any PNP is illegal

-B

Old 08-29-2007, 07:54 PM

I'll try to get pics of then ASAP, I have 6000K on another car of mine.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:44 PM
Max In Process

where can i buy a pair of these please let me know
Old 08-30-2007, 01:06 PM

i've already cut about everything out, my stock headlights dont fit right now anyway, thats why i need something else ... how much you want? or can i say i already bought the beer and pizza ... ill let you drive my turbo max :P
Old 08-30-2007, 03:54 PM
heresmymind

haha dead2fall u call my cell ill pm and well set a date.

Old 09-03-2007, 12:46 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by heresmymind
no they are not legal. any retro in general is illegal. but 4300k is only LEGAL color 3000k in some states. any PNP is illegal

-B
do you mean that what you do is illegal too? even if you use 4300K?

Originally Posted by Ajlal24
Yup 25000K...they're purple as hell...they're 50-state illeagal...haha
when i see people using those 25000K and such lights, the first thing that comes to my mind is to drive with a double barrel 12 gauge out my window, and to shoot that driver in the head. they deserve it. they're morons. worthless. morons. there is a REASON they are illegal (because nobody else can ****ing see where the **** they are going with your stupid *** lights blinding them), and anyone with such disrespect for the law deserves to be shot. end of story. Ajlal24, that means you.

And mods, don't do anything to this post, please. Some people deserve tough love.
Old 09-03-2007, 02:07 PM
heresmymind

any type of retro is considered illegal. many states are trying to crack down on the ebay headlights too. unless it is OEM it is illegal. granted 99.9999% of cops dont care. let alone notice that they arent oem. unless you put in 8000k or above bulbs making them hella blue then cops get the idea and get ants in their pants to ticket people specially young stupid kids. so ANY retro no matter what color IS considered illegal. there are 1000's of people that still do it. the only way you'll get in trouble is if your inspections are very strict.

-B

Old 09-03-2007, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by capedcadaver
do you mean that what you do is illegal too? even if you use 4300K?

when i see people using those 25000K and such lights, the first thing that comes to my mind is to drive with a double barrel 12 gauge out my window, and to shoot that driver in the head. they deserve it. they're morons. worthless. morons. there is a REASON they are illegal (because nobody else can ****ing see where the **** they are going with your stupid *** lights blinding them), and anyone with such disrespect for the law deserves to be shot. end of story. Ajlal24, that means you.

And mods, don't do anything to this post, please. Some people deserve tough love.
Thats why I'm not putting them on, I'm going to use them in car shows they have out here at night. You neeed to calm down, this is a forum, not court.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:09 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

any type of retro is considered illegal. many states are trying to crack down on the ebay headlights too. unless it is OEM it is illegal. granted 99.9999% of cops dont care. let alone notice that they arent oem. unless you put in 8000k or above bulbs making them hella blue then cops get the idea and get ants in their pants to ticket people specially young stupid kids. so ANY retro no matter what color IS considered illegal. there are 1000's of people that still do it. the only way you'll get in trouble is if your inspections are very strict.

-B
in which case it would be best to get something easily switchable for OEM stock parts, if the inspections are that strict. That is one time where the law is a little bit out of line, but if they did it on a case-by-case basis it would be better since some retros are less distracting than others.

Thats why I'm not putting them on, I'm going to use them in car shows they have out here at night. You neeed to calm down, this is a forum, not court.
my apologies then. I thought you planned to use them on the road.
I just get reeeeally uptight about when people deliberately do things that will almost certainly harm someone else, directly or indirectly, and take it personally. Car shows like that aren't my thing anyhow, because it's what you can't see on a car that really counts. But if you like to do that then that's fine, as long as you're respectful of other drivers on the road. That's why I'm such a turn signal *****, because I want to be sure that people behind me know that I'm changing lanes or why i'm about to slow down, so they don't get all road-ragey on me (and even so, some will still get all pissed with i blink for 5 sec before making a very gradual and ovbious lane change.. they won't slow down and act like it's my fault i needed to be in the left lane). but if they don't want to slow down when i give them fair notice, then it's their fault if they have to slam on their brakes and burn their lap with their Venti Extra-Hot Latte from starbuck's that they were sipping on while chatting on their phone and smacking their noisy kids in the backseat.
Old 09-03-2007, 05:02 PM

It's ok capedcadaver ...i get mad at retarded drivers too...especially on the free way when traffic goes at 65mph and some idiot causes traffic for a mile just b/c they're going 55mph...
Old 09-03-2007, 05:44 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

It's ok capedcadaver ...i get mad at retarded drivers too...especially on the free way when traffic goes at 65mph and some idiot causes traffic for a mile just b/c they're going 55mph...
well one time i was being lazy and not in a hurry and i drove ~60mph in a 70 zone, but it was way out in the country with maybe 10 cars tops in view (in front, behind, beside, and oncoming) at any given time, and i changed lanes around traffic to let people pass, so i wouldn't hold them up. And if there was no hole for them to get around me, i sped back up to 75mph until the congestion was relieved, then slowed down again. But then again, it was driving through a county that had like 3ppl/mi^2..

Specifically, US264E from the split with US64 near Zebulon, NC, to Aaron's house in Walstonburg NC

but i deliberately stayed out of people's way and if it wasn't working, i sped back up.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:20 PM
mod or sell?

I resemble that remark . if the speed limit says 55, I'm doing 55 in the right hand lane. I happen to like getting 30mpg out of my minivan
Old 09-03-2007, 06:28 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by internetautomar
I resemble that remark . if the speed limit says 55, I'm doing 55 in the right hand lane. I happen to like getting 30mpg out of my minivan
what if it says 15? do you really go 15? or just whatever feels comfortable.

crap we're off topic. so how do you like these compared to the $800 headlights you had before?
Old 09-03-2007, 06:47 PM
heresmymind

honostly they are the best ive had. i am thinking about putting TSX's into the high beam slow with 3000k as my fogs. and using FX bixenons in low beam for my low/high with a clear lens swap><

-B

Old 09-04-2007, 11:55 AM

What are depos? :P
Old 09-04-2007, 12:03 PM
heresmymind

the brand of headlight. they make high quality after market headlights.

-B

Old 09-04-2007, 01:10 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

so is it even illegal to put OEM 5.5 gen HID lights on a 5gen DEK?
Old 09-04-2007, 01:40 PM
heresmymind

unless it was OEM on that make and model and vin#
YES

Old 09-04-2007, 05:49 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

So with all the 'customizing' you did I see you left out the part about making the headlights fit even remotely decently. Are you honestly content with how those look? Wow.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:08 PM
heresmymind

making them 100% flush isnt a Huge deal. that tiny part that no one even notices sept maxima fanatics doesnt bother me when I turn on my lights at night and i have the 2nd best low beams made next to ls430's. they look 1000 x better than stock. so go ahead and bust on 1/2" of non-flushness. then at night when it counts (what lights are used for) we'll compare. and yes i am very content.

-B

Old 09-04-2007, 06:27 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

making them 100% flush isnt a Huge deal. that tiny part that no one even notices sept maxima fanatics doesnt bother me when I turn on my lights at night and i have the 2nd best low beams made next to ls430's. they look 1000 x better than stock. so go ahead and bust on 1/2" of non-flushness. then at night when it counts (what lights are used for) we'll compare. and yes i am very content.

-B
functionality over form...
Old 09-04-2007, 06:40 PM
heresmymind

those are my low beams down the rd. with 0 glare. 100% properly aimed. and legal color in my state. put those up against ur flush us spec lights. in any weather condition. not to mention the glass lenses don't fade scratch or break as easy. (i know i hit a deer tonight... destroyed grill and bumper hit headlight and moved it aim wise slightly.)

-B

Old 09-04-2007, 07:14 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

those are my low beams down the rd. with 0 glare. 100% properly aimed. and legal color in my state. put those up against ur flush us spec lights. in any weather condition. not to mention the glass lenses don't fade scratch or break as easy. (i know i hit a deer tonight... destroyed grill and bumper hit headlight and moved it aim wise slightly.)

-B
dude that sucks! the deer hit that is. the lights are great..

and how are you doing 75mph at such a low RPM? in neutral? IIRC you have an automatic right?
Old 09-04-2007, 07:18 PM
heresmymind

broken gauges... its parked.

Old 09-04-2007, 07:29 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

broken gauges... its parked.
when are you getting new ones? i can send you a GXE speedo that works.. a little bit... if you want it. It sometimes dips and dives and sometimes drops to 0, but at least it is semi functional. Though you may have a bad wire if it's stuck solidly at 75mph. Start a new thread maybe? you can have that gauge for free if it interests you. just a couple bucks for shipping. Once i get my Se gauges you can have a 100% functional GXE one.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:29 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by capedcadaver
functionality over form...

Why not both?

Heres, for the amount of money/work/time you put into the lights, making them look factory flush shouldn't be out of the question..0.02.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:09 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Jbr8k
Why not both?

Heres, for the amount of money/work/time you put into the lights, making them look factory flush shouldn't be out of the question..0.02.
well yeah, i just meant that you would work out the functionality first. form cane come at one's leisure. Unless it's a nonaerodynamic spoiler or something, which is purely form. but in the case of a HID retrofit, it's better to have Godly visibility than to have flush lenses. Especially if they're not that far off. Like they would be if you put 4th gen lights in a 3rd gen.. and forced them to fit.

Quick Reply: Depo e36 euro + tsx projector retro!