3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Finally tested out my rear discs.. :)

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2000, 07:42 PM
STFU n00b!

Before today, I had so much crap in the back seat, every time I hit the brakes, something would land in the front seat..

Well, I finally got the car all cleaned up this weekend.. took that puppy up to about 120mph and STOMPED the brakes.. DAMN! I thought my
eyes were gonna pop out of my head!! The needle dropped so fast on the speedo that it took it a second or two to actually hit bottom when I
stopped!
I wound it back up to 100mph and tried it again... GASP! no fade! WOOHOO!!
the brembo/bendix combo on the front stops even better once you get it warmed up! the second time the car stopped even faster from 100-40..
40-0 wasn't quite as good, but I'd hit some rough pavement and the tires were locking up.. I had to modulate the pedal to keep the car going the
direction I wanted it to..

But those rear drums SUCK compared to a good disc setup.
Next on the list of things to do is try to find some larger rear discs that will fit with my modified brackets.. this setup can handle up to a 12.2"
disc with the way I installed everything.
Keep in mind I'm not running stock brakes on front either. I've got Brembo crossdrilled rotors and bendix pads.. I'll soo be getting porterfield or Axxis
all the way around, but I don't have that kinda cash right now.

[Edited by Matt93GXE on 10-24-2000 at 02:04 PM]
Old 10-23-2000, 08:26 PM

Wow.... Sounds great!

I am in need of new pads/rotors in the front. I plan on getting the Powerslot Rotors with some sort of performace pads, havent decided yet. Of course I was also considering the "top of the line" Nissan pads, but they probably cant compare to the other options out there. I will probably do the same for the rears later when I have more money (after new clutch). Do you have any experience with the premium Nissan pads?

Hopefully this will be a job I can do myself so I can save on the labor!!!
Old 10-23-2000, 08:29 PM
STFU n00b!

Kaleb is currently using the 4th gen pads in his car and says they're better than the 3rd gen pads..
price is the same..

part#s on calipers are the same for both cars, so you can easily install 4th gen pads just like they were 3rd gen pads..

BUT.. they're only about $10 less than Axxis pads- and that's courtesy's price, not local dealer price.. local dealer price will probably be more than Axxis pads.
Old 10-23-2000, 08:32 PM

So are you going to slap Brembo discs on your rear's too Matt?
or will they fit?
Old 10-24-2000, 09:59 AM

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

Don't bump your head!!!

Old 10-24-2000, 10:20 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Matt,
I know I probably asked you this before, but since you got your new set up are you going to consider steel braided lines? If so what about Russel brand? Are they any good? Do you know cost yet? Do you think it would improve performance even if you had your old setup?
Old 10-24-2000, 11:34 AM

Originally posted by Matt93GXE
Before today, I had so much crap in the back seat, every time I hit the brakes, something would land in the front seat..

Well, I finally got the car all cleaned up this weekend.. took that puppy up to about 120mph and STOMPED the brakes.. DAMN! I thought my
eyes were gonna pop out of my head!! The needle dropped so fast on the speedo that it took it a second or two to actually hit bottom when I
stopped!
I wound it back up to 100mph and tried it again... GASP! no fade! WOOHOO!!
the brembo/bendix combo on the front stops even better once you get it warmed up! the second time the car stopped even faster from 100-40..
40-0 wasn't quite as good, but I'd hit some rough pavement and the tires were locking up.. I had to modulate the pedal to keep the car going the
direction I wanted it to..

But those rear drums SUCK compared to a good disc setup.
Next on the list of things to do is try to find some larger rear discs that will fit with my modified brackets.. this setup can handle up to a 12.2"
disc with the way I installed everything.
Keep in mind I'm not running stock brakes on front either. I've got Brembo slotted rotors and bendix pads.. I'll soo be getting porterfield or Axxis
all the way around, but I don't have that kinda cash right now.
Hey Matt,

How much, and where can i get brembo rotors?

Thanks
Old 10-24-2000, 12:04 PM
STFU n00b!

the rears ARE brembo discs..
(they're oem replacement type, but they're still brembo..)
I jsut got lucky on that one I guess... the rotors I pulled form the junkyard were covered in rust.. I pulled out the naval jelly (rust remover) and went to work.. once I got them all cleaned up, I could see the brembo stamp on the edge of it..kickass!

Yes, I've thought about steel braided lines. they're about $100. I'll worry about those and pads later. right now I'm working on getting ready for IASCA finals, then it's back to school.. the car's gonna stay in one piece for a while after this weekend.

I bought my front crossdrilled brembo rotors from Stillen for about $160 for the set. I don't know how much they regularly are, but I was told I got a good deal on them.
you can also get powerstop (drilled) or powerslot (slotted) rotors from lotsa places online.

Porterfield ( http://www.porterfieldbrakes.com ) also sells their brand of rotors for our cars. their "regular" rotors are abou the same price as the brembo drilled ones, but then again, porterfield is good stuff.. (most racers use porterfield brake products of some kind)
Old 10-24-2000, 04:19 PM

sweet
i'm gunna have to do that soon
Old 10-25-2000, 10:44 AM

I ordered them today!!!
Old 10-26-2000, 11:44 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Matt! You should read my posts every once in a while! ->

Porterfield rotors are nothing more then BREMBO blank rotors. The only thing that Porterfield can do is cross-drill and/or cryo-treat as explained in this post:

<A HREF="https://maxima.org/forums/showthread.phtml?threadid=3552">My post on Porterfields</A>

I think Matt's going to take a road trip or vice versa at some point in the future for a rear disc conversion......

Hmmm....I wonder how much brass monkey that's going to require.....
Old 10-26-2000, 07:46 PM
STFU n00b!

Re: Matt! You should read my posts every once in a while! ->

Originally posted by bill99gxe

Porterfield rotors are nothing more then BREMBO blank rotors. The only thing that Porterfield can do is cross-drill and/or cryo-treat as explained in this post:

<A HREF="https://maxima.org/forums/showthread.phtml?threadid=3552">My post on Porterfields</A>

I think Matt's going to take a road trip or vice versa at some point in the future for a rear disc conversion......

Hmmm....I wonder how much brass monkey that's going to require.....

I thought that's what the porterfields were, but I couldn't remember for certain. I read all your posts, but i've slept amny many times since then.

Hmmm, me? roadtrip?
unless it's within 100miles and more than 8 weeks in the future, it's out of the question..
(unless you're in florida and are willing to fly me down there over christmas break