3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

WarpSpeedPerformance "Y" pipe update

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2000, 10:45 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Just a note to let you know we have our prototype "Y" pipe on Dans car (93se 5spd). We also have our complete high flow cat back kit with 2.5" high flow cat on it as well. Looks good, Dan says "it redlines much quicker and the difference between ours and the stock y is very dramatic, it feels like it has more snap than our competitor's "Y" pipe".

Me....I like it. Dan says it has a little drone. We will post dyno results tomorrow after comparing "Y" pipes, catalytic converters and a couple of mufflers.

We have addressed the gound clearance problem, it is not a problem with our pipe.

Old 10-25-2000, 10:52 AM
Tomo

how much are you thinking they will run$$$

Old 10-25-2000, 12:23 PM

Group deals?

hook it up!thanks
Old 10-25-2000, 04:36 PM

are you guys doin a y pipe group deal

I have a leak in my flex-joint of my y pipe is anyone doing a group deal ona straight pipe that also gets rid of the resilator?
Old 10-26-2000, 08:06 AM

Re: are you guys doin a y pipe group deal

Originally posted by vmarques82
I have a leak in my flex-joint of my y pipe is anyone doing a group deal ona straight pipe that also gets rid of the resilator?
Personally, I think it's best to keep a flex pipe in the system to take away any undue stress on the headers. The last thing you want to do is f__k up anything up there...

Old 10-26-2000, 04:24 PM

ypipe

i wanna get rid of my rilator so i van get a lil roar ro my exhaust
Old 10-26-2000, 08:19 PM

so how much are these y-pipies gonna go for? And when are they gonna be available?
Old 10-26-2000, 09:48 PM
STFU n00b!

Uhhh, so I take it you don't need my car for a guines pig anymore?

Glad you found someone to do it for ya.. life's just really busy around here, but if you still need someone to work with, I'll be glad to.. I still have next weekend open if you need my car.
Old 10-26-2000, 11:12 PM

buy Cattmans y-pipe
Old 10-26-2000, 11:40 PM
STFU n00b!

FUNK no!
too much $$ for not enough performance. I'm a cheapskate..

if I pay $400 for something, it's gotta give me at least 20 HP.
Old 10-27-2000, 02:36 AM

Cattman charges way too much for his pipes, and no, mild steel is strong if fabricated correctly.

For the price of Catt's pipe, I got my Y-pipe custom made (since the stock one cracked) and an entire exhaust system to go with it (the previous cat-back system I had installed turned out to be 2" instead of 2.25" spec with a 60% flow sports muffler ... the bastard).

If you want more grunt, just get a custom y-pipe (cheaper) and keep the flex. If you want a deeper roar than that, get a sports muffler.

Old 10-27-2000, 07:52 PM

This has been 2 hectic days, we had Dan's car Dynoed in Reed Springs, Missouri which is just north of Branson. These guys have a class act, the shop is less than a year old and the computerized dyno sysyem equipment top notch. We started late in the afternoon on Thursday and finished late this afternoon today. Ran into a few things which took extra time, finding an o2 sensor in Springfield (nothing short of a miracle)when one wouldn't budge, had to reweld a joint on our cat because we went with fixed flanges for the test. It really helps when the bolt holes line up on everything.
We tested our set-up first, our "Y" pipe, Carsound cat and our 2.5" cat back kit with turbo muffler.

We tested the Cattman "Y" pipe (after we knocked the dent out of it)with the same Carsound cat and our 2.5" cat back kit with turbo muffler.

We ran each system three times and our "Y" pipe tested 6.6-6.7 hp more than the Cattman pipe each time. It also has more torque. We have the computer chart graphs from the runs which we will post which have the name of the shop and their phone number.

Of course we were crossing our fingers but when you see the photo's of our pipe you will see why we got more flow. I took pictures at the shop with the car on the dyno and have pictures of the pipe and the rest of our components.

We have clearance, our lowest pipe is at least 3/4" higher than the skid. Our prototype pipe had only one weld seam where it may have come in contact with the exhaust gases. Our production pipe will have none.
We have relocated slightly the o2 sensor for clearance as well.

One last thing for tonight: our prototype pipe was made of aluminized 16ga steel, Dan has one of the jetcoated Cattman pipes which we ran our tests with as well.

We are working on our cat design and feel we can get a bit more torque out of it as well. We may have our price tomorrow, I have to check on the latest stainless price.

Now it's time for a bit of sleep. I think Dan will get home about 3-4am.

I also still need to get a price on jetcoat.
Old 10-27-2000, 08:11 PM

I might buy one if it was in the $250 range uncoated. I can add that if I want to seperately..
Old 10-27-2000, 08:58 PM

6-7hp over Cattman

Is your design that different to make that amount of additional Hp when companred to the Cattman model?
Old 10-28-2000, 07:12 PM

You bet our pipe is different.

Yes!

Our pipe is quite different than the "other Y pipe". We have taken the 2" pipes from the exhaust manifold and joined them together into a plenum like chamber. We designed our transition for minimal resistance and we have a 2.5" flow all the way to the muffler, even through the flex joint. We have no welds in contact with the exhaust gases in the "Y" pipe at all.

I have pictures updated on our site which shows our "Y" pipe beside "the other Y pipe", our cat-back system, muffler and Dan's car in the dyno shop. We will be posting the dyno results shortly in their computer generated graph form. It clearly shows the hp increase of 6.6 to 6.7hp as well as an increase in torque.

http://www.warpspeedperformance.com/nissan.html
Old 10-28-2000, 07:31 PM

Re: You bet our pipe is different.

I was wondering if when the Y-pipe goes into production there will be a "group deal" offer. As soon as they are available you know that we are all going to want one so I was just curious if you would have some sort of special offer for a certain number of people or even just Maxima.org members (hint, hint)
Old 10-29-2000, 12:59 PM

what you mean there is another maxima site?

We'll see what we can do on a group buy.

We are working on some shipping rates with UPS and should have the last of our pricing tomorrow.

We do appreciate all the photo's we have received of cars and other info. We should have our 800# up pretty quick and more info on the site.
We know the site leaves a bit to be desired but we have put our maximum emphasis on the pipes and testing and less on fluff. No hp or torque in fluff.

Thanks
Dallas & Dan
Old 10-29-2000, 08:26 PM

I need prices

Old 10-30-2000, 08:57 PM

Pricing in on

We have posted photo's and pricing on our gen 3 Y pipes in the parts for sale section and on or site
http://www.warpspeedperformance.com/nissan.html

Dallas
Old 10-30-2000, 09:13 PM
MSK

Is your site's email address under construction?

Hi bmfjeep: I tried to send you a couple of emails earlier but came back as address not found, although I have seen you have updated your prices from yesterday. Will there be a discount on a complete purchase of your system from Y-pipes to muffler? Also please provide correct email address.
Thanx
MSK

Old 11-14-2000, 07:52 PM

What is the sound comparison like, I want to upgrade my stock exhaust system but I don't want the loud sound, I want the closest to the quietness of my existing system but with better performance, I heard the Greedy system is the loudest.....
Old 11-15-2000, 07:48 AM

Warpseed resonator installed Monday

Originally posted by KnowledgeBorn
What is the sound comparison like, I want to upgrade my stock exhaust system but I don't want the loud sound, I want the closest to the quietness of my existing system but with better performance, I heard the Greedy system is the loudest.....
We just installed a custom low restriction resonator on Dan's max Monday. We are going to have a dba sound level reading in the next day or so. I know his better half is no longer complaining after the install....well about the muffler anyway.

Dallas Warpspeedperformance