3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Please Help - Major Idling Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2001, 08:58 AM
helraizr13

Hello All,

I am desperate, so if anyone can provide any insight, I would be extremely grateful.

Last week, I noticed that my 1994 GXE (127,000 miles) was running a little rough, stumbling on acceleration, but nothing major. I bought STP Fuel Injector Cleaner and added it to a full tank of gas either Thurs or Fri. The car ran fine (aside from above-mentioned) all day Friday. Then, late Friday evening, we got in to go somewhere and it was idling very poorly.

My husband replaced the plugs, plug wires, fuel filter and distributor. There is probably more, but there was no improvement. He then replaced the entire ignition system. No help. Check Engine light was on, and he got a code indicating fuel injection system error. He determined that 1, 3 and 5 needed to be replaced. He purchased the injectors (yellow dot) and replaced them. The problem got worse. Now, common sense tells us that replacing everything he has replaced at this point (the entire electrical system, even the PVC valve) should not have caused further performance degradation. Now, the car is stalls when idling, idles rough and stumbles terribly on revving or accelerating. It is also producing white-blue smoke, which is a new symptom. It smells very strongly of gasoline. Yesterday, he replaced the Upper Intake Manifold Plenum gaskets and still no improvement. In fact, the white smoke is worse now.

What the hell? We are completely at a loss. The check engine light turned off after the 1, 3, and 5 injectors were replaced, and the car is not giving us any new error codes.

ANY help would be appreciated. We are prepared to take the vehicle to a dealer for diagnosis. My husband is very handy with cars, but the solution to this problem is eluding him. We are both very frustrated. Does anyone know what else we can check? Oh yes, and he disconnected the catalytic converter; it does not appear that the problem is in the exhaust. We have not had problems with the vehicle prior to this and the initial problems had just started becoming evident in the last 2-3 weeks. (The very slight stumbling on acceleration. There were NO problems with the idle prior to the sudden loss of power last Friday).

HELP!

Thanks,

Angela