3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Comments on Warpspeed Y pipe

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2001, 01:49 PM

I received my stainless steel Y pipe and hi flow cat from Warpspeed and just had them installed.

See pictures further down.

First, the fabrication is first rate. My friends at a Nissan dealership installed it and everyone oohed and aahed as it came out of the box. The SS flex webbing is very beefy. 2.5" pipe is big and this pipe looks serious. I have a Remus muffler. At idle and starting up the sound is deeper but lightens and smoothes out at speed. I didn't go with the 2.5" midpipe but now I think I will. I bought a new standard size auto parts store midpipe (w/ resonator) that measured 2 1/8" and is rediculously skinny and a very poor fit. duh. A bigger mid pipe is going to be louder (for wives and girlfriends) but I've heard Warpspeed has a muffler in design. Also HKS has a good SS muffler.

Dallas is a great person to talk to and answers every question. http://www.warpspeedperformance.com/nissan.htm
Old 08-31-2001, 03:31 PM

Y-pipes seem like a random chance these days. People praise and shame each maker, but I think praise has been the more prevalent.

Glad to hear you like it.

Old 09-01-2001, 07:46 AM

Originally posted by old man
I received my stainless steel Y pipe and hi flow cat from Warpspeed and just had them installed.

First, the fabrication is first rate. My friends at a Nissan dealership installed it and everyone oohed and aahed as it came out of the box. The SS flex webbing is very beefy. 2.5" pipe is big and this pipe looks serious. I have a Remus muffler. At idle and starting up the sound is deeper but lightens and smoothes out at speed. I didn't go with the 2.5" midpipe but now I think I will. I bought a new standard size auto parts store midpipe (w/ resonator) that measured 2 1/8" and is rediculously skinny and a very poor fit. duh. A bigger mid pipe is going to be louder (for wives and girlfriends) but I've heard Warpspeed has a muffler in design. Also HKS has a good SS muffler.

Dallas is a great person to talk to and answers every question. http://www.warpspeedperformance.com/nissan.htm
i was just planning to buy one myself. im glad to hear that the quality is so good. im gonna wait for them to come out with their new DTM style muffler so i can buy the whole exhaust at one time.
Old 09-01-2001, 10:04 AM
2 VE's are better than one!

Originally posted by old man

No comment on performance?
Old 09-02-2001, 05:39 AM

James

I am remiss.

I'm still getting it all working properly. After the Y and cat went on I put on a new stock midpipe. This didn't fit the Remus too well and the other end looked rediculous having a 2.5" suddenly go to a 2 1/8". So I went to a local independent muffler shop and learned they could bend a new 2.5 aluminized on the spot!($150) After I put it on yesterday morning my family and I left in our van for the day. This is a long way of saying I haven't had a chance to really jump on it other than the 2 mile drive back from the muffler shop.

However... the sound is soooo sweet. Deep burble at idle and not intrusive at speed at all. Seat of the pants tells me this isn't the same car anymore. The Remus is a good match for a 2.5" pipe. What sounded a little plugged when it was on the stock pipes (it's a pretty heavy can) now sounds still nicely muffled, but clean and open. (I can now hear the Remiss over the Stillen intake). I would imagine a Greddy would be hard to live with day in and day out. A friend has an HKS he loves but their applications seem to be for '95 and up. I'm going to start a new thread to ask what other's wheel horsepower is on their stock VE.

P.S. I'm not the "old man" below!