3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

DanNY......

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2000, 09:32 AM

you wanna buy a y pipe?

http://www.warpspeedperformance.com/nissan.html

I must give them credit. Their pipe dynoed ~6hp more than cattman with the same carsound cat and cat back system. 6hp is alot.

I'm kinda interested now. He also said it will be cheaper than cattmans and offered in SS.

Mike S.
Old 10-29-2000, 07:14 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

sure i'll buy a y-pipe..but from that link their Y-pipe need a lot of work..

the 1st bend looks like it's crush bent.
where the two pipes connect their weld looks like a really fat bead to compensate for something wrong w/ it.
the pipe going to that Y section looks like there's a difference in size...reason for a fat bead?
i still think the flex portion is too short...may add to the broken stud deal.

it does look like it's a prototype deal but if they will put that pic on the site it better state that's it a prototype or something.
the pipe looks like they gathered a few thing to make it..
1. a pre fab Y- section
2. shorter flex section
3. a few 90 degree bent pipes
4. a few straight pipes
5. a fitting for the O2

all you need is a decent welder and someone w/ a lift.

but if they want my $ for a Y-pipe i'm going want to see the quality of it..and not just becasue there's 6 more ponies. what's 6hps when it falls apart after a few months?
what i'm looking for:
1. fit - very very important. the space is very tight in there so fit is very important. it must be fit lowered cars, cars w/ aftermkt exhaust, cat, sway bar..etc etc
2. bends - the bend must be mandrel bent. crush bent will not cut it.
3. Y section - the y section must be a pre fab piece
4. flex - the flex portion should be about the same as stock..or close to it..(within 2-3 inches)
5. flanges - the flanges must be thick enough not to warp and also laser cut or CNC cut so it doesn't leak. the crush ring must sit correctly.
6. coating - it can be alum coating, high temp paint, jet hot..it doesn't matter as long as it provides a decent service life..(ie 3-4 yrs in the NE area - more in non snow area).

i might be a little too critial but i'm not being the test mule again on the y-pipe deal.
no flame on warp speed performance..just a few concerns.
keep up the good work.
Dan

Originally posted by Mike S.
you wanna buy a y pipe?

http://www.warpspeedperformance.com/nissan.html

I must give them credit. Their pipe dynoed ~6hp more than cattman with the same carsound cat and cat back system. 6hp is alot.

I'm kinda interested now. He also said it will be cheaper than cattmans and offered in SS.

Mike S.