3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Car got broken into & Amp stolen

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2001, 02:01 AM

Car got broken into & Amp stolen

Its one of those things that you never can imagine until it hits home.

Around 3:50am my car alarm went off, I double checked and it was my damn car. Rushed downstairs and out the door to find not a trace of anyone or any car speeding away.

Anyhow, my rear quarter window was smashed and my MTX 5400 amp was missing. I immediately called the police and they wrote out the incident report.

Since I have never had to deal with my insurance company for anything, I want to know what to do. I have a $500 deductible (full coverage). If I report this to them, do I have to pay anything to get the window replaced and some money for the amp? Will my rate go up?

Please let me know what is the best way to handle this situation.
Old 10-01-2001, 02:21 AM

Re: Car got broken into & Amp stolen

Originally posted by superdesi
Its one of those things that you never can imagine until it hits home.

Around 3:50am my car alarm went off, I double checked and it was my damn car. Rushed downstairs and out the door to find not a trace of anyone or any car speeding away.

Anyhow, my rear quarter window was smashed and my MTX 5400 amp was missing. I immediately called the police and they wrote out the incident report.

Since I have never had to deal with my insurance company for anything, I want to know what to do. I have a $500 deductible (full coverage). If I report this to them, do I have to pay anything to get the window replaced and some money for the amp? Will my rate go up?

Please let me know what is the best way to handle this situation.
Somebody correct me if I am wrong (I hope I am)...but ifyour deductable is $500, then you must pay $500 in order to claim whatever the damages are...for ex:

your window + amp are $1,000
$1,000 - $500 = $500

so you will only recieve $500

I don't know about the rate increasing...sorry man...that sucks...those guys must have been quick? did you have the amp mounted to your box?
Old 10-01-2001, 07:39 PM

Thanks Jonathan

Jonathan, the amp was mounted to plywood then to the sheetmetal.

My agent told me that this sort of damage is fully covered under my policy and that any damage to my vehicle will be fully repaired. They did hesitate to take my amp under consideration, but like Matt93SE, I told them it was a audio/show car.

So everything is good to go. I just hope the damn thieves don't strike again.
Old 10-02-2001, 11:50 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

Man, if I EVER catch someone messing around near my car, with the intent of doing it some bodily harm....
Old 10-02-2001, 02:01 PM

I don't know if the insurance co. explained everything to you des but if you have a $500 deductible, the insurance company will pay for the repair/replacement of any parts/material above $500. Also, since this is a comp. claim, it should not effect your rate.
Old 10-03-2001, 08:42 AM

Originally posted by John in Philly
I don't know if the insurance co. explained everything to you des but if you have a $500 deductible, the insurance company will pay for the repair/replacement of any parts/material above $500. Also, since this is a comp. claim, it should not effect your rate.

Actually they are talking care of all the costs including giving me $370 for the amplifier. I will not be paying any out of pocket expenses.
Old 10-03-2001, 02:52 PM

Good Deal
Old 10-03-2001, 05:28 PM

Originally posted by nubiannupe
Man, if I EVER catch someone messing around near my car, with the intent of doing it some bodily harm....
my car got broken into and some kids tried to ****** my radio..broke the thing in the process and i managed to use the money from insurance to get a really nice cd player. so i was actually glad the little brats broke into my car!
Old 10-03-2001, 06:34 PM

hmmm

Originally posted by superdesi

Actually they are talking care of all the costs including giving me $370 for the amplifier. I will not be paying any out of pocket expenses.
Just Curious, who is your insurance company, I might be needing to switch. My brothers car was stripped, everything except the engine almost, and he only got about $475 with a 250 Deductible and Comprehensive converage.
Old 10-04-2001, 12:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: hmmm

Yeah, well sometimes its good and sometimes it sucks or both!
When my car was broken into and they took EVERYTHING that was in the car (even my bag of receipts for all of the automotive history of the car) the insurance company fixed everything and replaced the equipment, but they used some half-assed shop that botched up other things, like putting scratches on the car that weren't even there before... I was so frustrated with taking the car back to get fixed right, that I didn't even want them to touch my car again! Anyway... just had to vent, but make sure you check the company designated to fix your car if you don't choose one for yourself.
Old 10-04-2001, 02:22 PM

Re: Re: hmmm

i ffel your pain. Some one broke into my car around thanksgiving last year and I had an absolute fit. it was parked outside of my dorma t school and it happened between the hours of 5 am and 8 am. The broke my drivers side window and ransacked the car but luckinly nothing was stolen and the didn't get to the remote for my six disc changer or the changer itself. I reported it but the police didn't see a positive outcome for me. I didn't bother reprting it because it was only a window and I also have that $500 deductible so it just wasn't worth it but you did a smart thing and I am happy for you. Congrats!!!!!!!!