3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Suspension Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2001, 02:32 PM

Suspension Help

Hey all,

Got my '94 SE from a used car dealer with some mods (Stainless Exhaust, CAI, etc.) already on it. Problem is, I don't know all the mods that were done and neither did the dealer. I know, I know, that's not a wise move since somebody could have beat the crap out of it but I wanted an SE and the car ran strong so I bought it anyways.

The car was definitely lowered and rides like a champ on smooth asphalt. However, I was toolin' down some country roads the other day and bottomed out like 3 times. Not good. Now here's where my problem starts. First, I don't know what kind of suspension I am running at the moment since everything is pretty much covered in dirt and grime up there in the wheel well. Second, my local auto repair chain wouldn't touch it for an estimate because they don't want to get pinned to a price.

So, I guess my question is this. Is this bottoming out normal for a lowered suspension or is this the result of the shocks "softening up" over time as I've seen referenced to in a couple of other posts? I like this car lowered, like I said it rides awesome on smooth road, but if bottoming out is a side effect, then I'm going back to stock. Any insight into this would be "much 'pershiated" as would any possible fixes.
Old 10-02-2001, 02:42 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

hmmm...i have yet to bottom out with my eibach/tok combo. i can't speak for other spring combos but sounds like that the struts are possible the culprit. do you have any pics of the car yet? we could probably make an educated guess as to what springs are on the car if it really is lowered...