3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

all max electrician masters help

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2001, 06:44 PM

all max electrician masters help

my 91 se is having some problems. here are the symptoms maybe you have some ideas:
1)when my after market radio/ amp is on it distorts with all 4 window buttons held to roll down the windows and headlights are on.
2)brakelights went out, taillights work just not the brake lights. bulbs are not blown and im looking at it tommoro. Im thinkin the brake light switch blew.
3)when bass is up in my car and my headllights are on the turn signal also distorts it.

i dunno what it could be. help if you can
Old 10-05-2001, 08:50 PM
Say Candyman 5 times

I'm not a gambling man, but

I'll bet it's your alternator. When all 4 windows are being rolled down at the same time you're putting alot of amp load on your alternator especially when your after-market radio and amp are on, and if your alternator starting to head south maybe it cant hold up to it's demand. If you decide to bring your car to someone to check your charging system ask them a few questions

1)What's the charging rate of the alternator at idle and 2000 rpm
2)What's the maximum amp rating of the alternator under a load
3)How does the diode pattern look

If they can answer all three question then you got a detail check of your charging system. Good luck
Old 10-05-2001, 09:17 PM
STFU n00b!

do your headlights dim when you crank it up?

if so, then your alternator problem is likely, or you need to add a cap because you're running too much power for the system to put out without more power in reserve..

antoher problem could be the head unit is getting low voltage on it's inputs... pull the deck out of the dash and check the power voltage on it with a multimeter, then check it again with any oof your turn signals or brake lights on or something like that..

I would venture to say you've either got a bad ground, or some other under-dash wiring problem.

your non-working brake lights tell me someone has been under the dash yanking on wires when they didn't know what they were doing... if you can't figure it out, I recommend taking it to a car stereo shop that does alarms and remote start systems, and tell them what it's doing.. those guys usually have more of an idea where to look than your average mechanic would.
Old 10-06-2001, 01:11 AM

about alternator

i have a question

my car is lowered with sprint springs. just yesterday i installed them
today it rained like crazy flooding the area.

i live in houston tx, so flooding is kinda common... i didnt know how deep of water i drove my car into but im sure it was a lil below half way to my tires... and i was wondering , (considering the alternator is on the very bottom) if the alternator is gonna be damanaged or hurt in anyway by this water, assuming a lot got splashed on it and other things.

any opinions would be greatly appreciated