3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Strange manual trans shifting problem...

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2001, 08:54 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Strange manual trans shifting problem...

Okay, first post about a possible problem with my new Max, and it's a weird one.
Usually I've driven with the habit of pushing the clutch pedal all the way to the floor when shifting (probably lots of people do too, right?) The problem is, I've found I have trouble sometimes shifting into 1st and reverse. It usually will seem a little reluctant to get into gear, an once in a while won't move even if I force it. No grinding gears though.

The weirdness: I have found that if I let off on the clutch pedal ever so slightly (so that it's maybe 1/4" off the floorboard) the transmission shifts much easier and smoother in 1st and reverse, and better overall in all gears. The clutch is still disengaged. I discovered this in desperation one day as I was moving my car in my driveway and could NOT get into reverse no matter what until I let off the clutch slightly and then it slipped in like a hot knife through butter!

More info: The car has 215,000 km (133K mi.) and there's a slight high-pitched whine in the transmission which a mechanic told me is due to the milage. Also, the clutch engagement point is pretty close to the floor, but the previous owner has said people have been saying the clutch is about to go for the past 3-4 years.

I can't for the life of me figure out what's causing this and would appreciate any help on this! I'm seriously thinking of putting a chunk of wood or something under the pedal to stop it early. Is this some major problem or what is it? Help guys...
Old 10-18-2001, 09:17 AM

clutch

You can adjust your clutch pedal to where it engages at mid point. That will give much more travel to free the clutch disc from the flywheel. It sounds to me that your clutch is not fully releasing. To prove the point, when you can't engage reverse, switch off your engine. I'll bet it will slip right into gear. Adjustment will fix that. Before you adjust, when your clutch sticks, pump the clutch rapidly two or three times. If the clutch now frees, you may have air in your clutch line as well. Bleed it (and renew the fluid while you are at it) first. Then, if you still have low engagement, adjust so your clutch engages about midpoint. Don't make it too tight, leave the required free play on top of the travel as to not put your throw out bearing under continuous load.

Good luck,

John
Old 10-18-2001, 10:52 AM

umm, thanks for your help but I'm not seeing this How is it that the clutch is not releasing enough by mashing it to the floor, yet releases fine if I let off the pedal 1/4" from the floor? I'm not experiencing any other problems that would indicate incomplete clutch release. (Was planning to bleed out system someday though)

Could it maybe be it's pushing the release fork (and T.O. bearing) too far if I push the pedal all the way down and it's causing some kind of weird binding/rubbing problem??
Old 10-18-2001, 12:45 PM

you could also try double clutching, i have that too, its actually a safety mechanism. the synchros won't let you go into reverse when your drivin down the road, only when you are at a full stop or close to it. so when your stopped put the stick in neutral, let out the pedal and push it in again then try putting in rev
Old 10-18-2001, 01:48 PM

Originally posted by spyhunter
you could also try double clutching, i have that too, its actually a safety mechanism. the synchros won't let you go into reverse when your drivin down the road, only when you are at a full stop or close to it. so when your stopped put the stick in neutral, let out the pedal and push it in again then try putting in rev
Noooo, that's not it either, and doesn't describe my problem. Again, my problem is: easier shifting (all gears, but especially 1st and reverse) when the clutch pedal is raised to about 1/4" off the floor, but harder to shift when pushed all the way down. I know about the "stop to reverse" thing and my problem is weird. Thanks, but no cigar
Old 10-18-2001, 07:02 PM

wrong diganosis

All of you are way off, and since i've owned my car since it was new i'd check your trusty chilton manual or other service manual it could be a numer of things such as engine and trans mounts gone bad; when your mounts go bad your engine rises when engaged causing strain on the trans and rods causing that slippage or disengaging affect! It could be a input gear bearing retainer or a worn shift fork a faulty shifter **** or improperly adjusted linkage and lets hope for the best not a loose trans axle connection at the spider gear! I hope this helps as i'm not a certified mechanic but i just opened my own speed shop here in SC but i do hope you have a suffienct mechanic look at some of the items I have mentioned!