3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Auto Climate Control

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 04:50 PM

Auto Climate Control

I seen a thread about this a while ago, but can't seem to find it anymore, so I gotta ask. How do you fix the automatic climate control's screen so it doesn't fade out after a while. The only way it works now is if I hit it repeatedly about 3 times, and even then it still fades out after a while. So any ideas? Another unrelated question is which wires should I cut to make the stock stereo screen always stay bright?
Old 09-26-2007, 05:44 PM

For the display, take it apart and resolder dried up cracked joints. I was unsuccsessful at repairing one with a completely dead display though, so it's not a guaranteed fix, components can fail.

The illumination wire should always be red with a yellow stripe.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Hectic
For the display, take it apart and resolder dried up cracked joints. I was unsuccsessful at repairing one with a completely dead display though, so it's not a guaranteed fix, components can fail.

The illumination wire should always be red with a yellow stripe.
Yeah, I did that resoldering part, but it didn't seem to do much good. I don't suppose replacing some of those black with white stripe capacitors would help, would it? It's really not such a big deal, since the climate control does everything it was designed to do, its just that it's kinda hard to set the temperature without the screen. Besides, it's just so much cooler when everything works.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Deridex
Besides, it's just so much cooler when everything works.
You got that right, to be perfectly honest, the digital display is the ONLY reason I converted to auto climate control. The manual unit just didn't cut it after the digital dash conversion.

Scrounge Ebay for a good deal on one. Or you could pay $500 at the dealership That is seriously what they cost
Old 09-27-2007, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Hectic
You got that right, to be perfectly honest, the digital display is the ONLY reason I converted to auto climate control. The manual unit just didn't cut it after the digital dash conversion.

Scrounge Ebay for a good deal on one. Or you could pay $500 at the dealership That is seriously what they cost
$500 You gotta be kidding me. And I thought $50 on eBay was a bit pricy for a climate control for an aging car. Guess, I'm gonna go look again.
Old 09-29-2007, 02:03 AM

Hmm I have the same problem, the display is rarely visible as it's so dim. I opened the unit up and cant find any broken connections, although there is some dried brown gunk around the base of the ribbon cable, but it dosent look like its interfering with anything. Im gonna take it to a electronics shop and see if anyone there may know what should be looked at / replaced.