3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Big(ger) Brake Swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 03:25 PM
I can has?

Big(ger) Brake Swap

Hey. As many of you know I got a parts car and had a few questions concerning brake swaps to my car.

First off, would it be possible for me to swap the front discs (Rotors) of the parts car to the rear discs of my car? Are there any drawbacks in doing this? I know it is possible to upgrade to BBK all around so would this be beneficial?

Also, the rear rotors on the parts car right now are stock sized brembo blanks with Hawk Pads. Should I just swap those over? Or would the stock front rotors from my current car now in the back with Hawk Pads be better?

I'm putting new wheels and tires on my car this week so I'd like to get it all done in one hit.

Input is appreciated in advance.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:28 PM

Front rotors in the rear? HAHAHAH GL with that.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:46 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

I dont think it can be done without lots of modding. Rear discs arent vented like the front ones so the caliper wont fit.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:48 PM
I can has?

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
I dont think it can be done without lots of modding. Rear discs arent vented like the front ones so the caliper wont fit.
Haha, okay thanks. Apparently I'm running with the Brembo's all around *darn* Hah...

But out of curiosity, what hurdles would I have to jump to get it to work, keep in mind I have two of everything...
Old 10-01-2007, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by 94maxshima
Haha, okay thanks. Apparently I'm running with the Brembo's all around *darn* Hah...

But out of curiosity, what hurdles would I have to jump to get it to work, keep in mind I have two of everything...

I'm asuming that if you can somehow fit the front calipers on the rear...you might be able to but then again I bet the mounting is different AND you need that bracket for the e-brake which the front calipers dont have.

I'm thinking a different cars rear disc and calipers but I dont know.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

On Top Gear they welded the front ends of two cars back to back, so both ends had front brakes. Go 4 it.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:41 PM
I can has?

Originally Posted by mikekantor
On Top Gear they welded the front ends of two cars back to back, so both ends had front brakes. Go 4 it.
hah, thanks
Old 10-01-2007, 04:43 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

I'm not touching this one.

Ibmatt.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:16 PM
I can has?

Okay. So I went out to take off all the calipers, pads, and rotors and it's apparent that the rear rotors are not only different in size, but width, design and the calipers are different along with e-brake cable mounting points. Guess I should have inspected them a bit more before asking and making myself look like a total newb

Either way, the Brembo setup with hawk pads should be sufficient for now. Thanks for the... erm...

criticism
Old 10-01-2007, 05:25 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Okay. So I went out to take off all the calipers, pads, and rotors and it's apparent that the rear rotors are not only different in size, but width, design and the calipers are different along with e-brake cable mounting points. Guess I should have inspected them a bit more before asking and making myself look like a total newb

Either way, the Brembo setup with hawk pads should be sufficient for now. Thanks for the... erm...

criticism
Av fixed to reflect user..
Old 10-01-2007, 05:25 PM

criticism
Cant say I didnt mention all that you just did

BTW props to Wayne on excellent observations and Av modifications, all fit very well

Last edited by ColombianMax; 10-01-2007 at 05:28 PM.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:42 PM
I can has?

haha, you guys crack me up...

Sorry I've never examined the anatomy of the rear brakes before, I haven't had to change pads on the back of my maxima yet. (Just the shoes on my GXE) I mean I know the e-brake stuff is there before, but I didn't know if the caliper brackets were universal or if they were swappable to larger calipers/ brackets. Just trying to utilize my parts here the best I can if they're going to be laying around. I figure it'd be worth asking anyway...

Yeah, I give credit for Colombianmax for letting me know beforehand and being the only one who even tried to give insight.....but I figured I'd go mess around with them to make sure, and educate myself.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:48 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
BTW props to Wayne on excellent observations and Av modifications, all fit very well
Yes.....yes they do..
Old 10-01-2007, 05:58 PM
I can has?

Old 10-01-2007, 06:02 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

You no like
Old 10-01-2007, 07:16 PM
STFU n00b!

fawking noobs.
before you ask questions like this, GO OUT AND LOOK AT IT, fcuktard!

sorry. couldn't help it. No, it won't work for the exact reasons you're already learned on your own. My input isn't needed here.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:18 PM

I guess he figured you were ridiculously not good looking
Old 10-02-2007, 02:56 AM

I've seen a full front/rear C6 Z06 vette brake set on ebay for 2-3K, calipers and rotors. Matt, you ever think of that?
Old 10-02-2007, 06:25 PM
STFU n00b!

why bother? my Wilwood stuff will outbrake a C6 on the track. (given the drivers I've run at the track with...........)
Old 10-03-2007, 03:37 PM
- Product of Maxima.org -

sorry to hijack, but i didn't want to start a new thread, being related and all........

i bought rotors a while back....the front fit, but the rears were too big....if i get the caliper brackets that have the longer 'nibs' or whatever, will i be able to mount the brackings back on, with added clearance for the bigger rotors?

did the 92 VE for some reason have smaller setups in the rear?

i would look for myself but the rears on both my cars are the same, so no comparison.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:05 PM
STFU n00b!

you might have gotten rear rotors for a Z31. measure them and see what they are and get back to us.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:52 PM
mod or sell?

there is 2 different rotors for the back of the 3rd gen depending on year.
you may have the wrong bits on your back struts.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:16 PM
Taking my Maxima to the Max!

Hey Y'all. Thought I'd bring this back since I'm finally looking at doing a BBK f&b on my Max. Matt, you are running the Wilwood 4-pistons or 6? With which rotors (size-diameter, width? 1-piece, 2-piece? From Fastbrakes or other?)? What bracket do I need to run the Wilwoods? From you or Jeff? What advantages do the Wilwoods have over the Z32TTs? or Q45s?

And, for the rears, is the Z31 rotor upgrade w/ stock calipers still the best possible way to go or is there something better (like Fastbrakes custom setup)?

Thanks.
-Mrkanda
Old 06-16-2008, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by mrkanda
Hey Y'all. Thought I'd bring this back since I'm finally looking at doing a BBK f&b on my Max. Matt, you are running the Wilwood 4-pistons or 6? With which rotors (size-diameter, width? 1-piece, 2-piece? From Fastbrakes or other?)? What bracket do I need to run the Wilwoods? From you or Jeff? What advantages do the Wilwoods have over the Z32TTs? or Q45s?

And, for the rears, is the Z31 rotor upgrade w/ stock calipers still the best possible way to go or is there something better (like Fastbrakes custom setup)?

Thanks.
-Mrkanda
The Z31 is good for rears, if you overpower the brakes back there they can easily lock up. If you're not on street tires then this wont be the case, but the weight distribution doesnt bode well for overdoing the rear brakes.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:16 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

The Z31 is good for rears, if you overpower the brakes back there they can easily lock up. If you're not on street tires then this wont be the case, but the weight distribution doesnt bode well for overdoing the rear brakes.
installing and tuning some LSVs will help prevent rear lockup if tuned properly and tested enough to verify results.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:06 AM

I'm a z31 guy and I don't know if you guys have ever considered it (or if I am missing a better option) but the 87-89 turbo z31's had dual piston calipers up front. My guess is it wouldn't be all that difficult to swap everything over for a nice dual-piston caliper setup. Us 84-86 z31 guys steal parts off of them all the time
Old 06-17-2008, 07:30 AM
mod or sell?

typically the J30/Q45 calipers are used for a dual piston setup.
HOWEVER, a quick look at rotor sizing shows me that the Z31 calipers may be able to bolt directly on to the stock rotor without shaving.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by capedcadaver
installing and tuning some LSVs will help prevent rear lockup if tuned properly and tested enough to verify results.
What are LSVs?
Old 06-17-2008, 01:12 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

What are LSVs?
load sensing valves. they are moved by the struts... control the amount of pressure reaching the rear. rear end sitting lower = more pressure. rear end sticking up in the air (as in under heavy braking) it reduces pressure to help avoid lockup while providing best-possible balance. it was only on ABS cars. maybe so that the pulsing of the abs solenoids would be less violent on the rear... dunno. anyhow they can be implemented onto standard brake systems as well, just have to pull the hardlines off a LSV-ABS car. to go with them, and maybe something on the parallel link or something where it hooks up.
Old 06-17-2008, 02:34 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

load sensing valves. they are moved by the struts... control the amount of pressure reaching the rear. rear end sitting lower = more pressure. rear end sticking up in the air (as in under heavy braking) it reduces pressure to help avoid lockup while providing best-possible balance. it was only on ABS cars. maybe so that the pulsing of the abs solenoids would be less violent on the rear... dunno. anyhow they can be implemented onto standard brake systems as well, just have to pull the hardlines off a LSV-ABS car. to go with them, and maybe something on the parallel link or something where it hooks up.
just pull 'em off with whatever car you get the lsv from. I doubt you will get em new, since they are about 300 from a dealer. and the cross member, since it all bolts together, and i think the non abs cars have a slightly different one (no mounting points)
Old 06-17-2008, 03:07 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by benstoked
just pull 'em off with whatever car you get the lsv from. I doubt you will get em new, since they are about 300 from a dealer. and the cross member, since it all bolts together, and i think the non abs cars have a slightly different one (no mounting points)
crap. whatever i still plan to do it.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:18 PM

So, have you all decided that the Z31 rear larger rotor upgrade is still the best option for rear BBK? (besides the LVR otion)

And, what about the front? Z32-13", Wilwood-13", something else?
Old 06-17-2008, 09:43 PM

So, have you all decided that the Z31 rear larger rotor upgrade is still the best option for rear BBK? (besides the LVR otion)

define "best"

There is best braking for any money, or there is the best value
Old 06-17-2008, 10:45 PM

define "best"

There is best braking for any money, or there is the best value
You are correct. Most of us, including me, must take into account the budget factor, especially the usually less than loaded 3rd gen owners. But, by "best", I mean performance wise. I don't want overkill like a Ksport or Brembo-GranTurismo kit for more than $2k. I also would rather not spend more than $1k for front and rear BBK. So, I wonder what my best options are. I read from this old post that the Wilwood kit from Fastbrakes.com was under $1k, but looking at their site it seems that prices have gone up, in the $1250 dollar range. Of course, I could source my own Z32TT calipers and 13" Cobra rotors, lines, brackets, and pads, but where would that put me money-wise and how is the performance of that package compaired with this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car-...m120272021135&

The gentleman from that company said he could put more such packages together and maybe do a group deal for us. I am not sure if the brackets included will do the job. I emailed him about that and the group deal possibility. So, I guess I'll wait to hear back from him.

I still would like to know about other possible options for the rear.

Thanks.
-Mrkanda
Old 06-18-2008, 06:38 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

by LVR i assume you mean LSV (LvR is a member on this forum who lives in South Africa)

anyhow, the LSV thing is totally separate from all BBK things, because the LSV is just an add on that would theoretically even work with drum brakes. I'm just holding out on all that stuff until I can do it all at once. My plans will be Brembo rotors (stock front, drums converted to z31 rear discs), Hawk HPS pads, and LSVs. Mind you, LSVs have to be user-tuned to ensure they balance out properly with the front brakes and rear load. You can't just toss them in and cross your fingers, else you might find yourself crossed up and in a ditch.

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 06-18-2008 at 06:42 AM.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:55 AM
mod or sell?

The LSVs should also be adjusted when you change the cars ride height.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:35 AM
I'm needing a caw

13" cobra rotors + bracket + j30 calipers up front.

use the older pre 90' year brake brackets and Z31 rotors for the rear.

If you can't afford this very budget minded setup, one shouldn't be trying to flux around with putting front calipers out to the rear. Why? If you do that, you will need to highly upgrade the fronts to make up teh bias difference. End result? Costing way more than just doing my suggestion in the 1st place.

The 3 gen crowd is very lucky. You guys can have a frt/rear bbk for WAAAY cheaper than the 4 gen+ crowd by using the Z31 rear rotor upgrade pioneered by Matt so many years ago.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:41 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
13" cobra rotors + bracket + j30 calipers up front.

use the older pre 90' year brake brackets and Z31 rotors for the rear.

If you can't afford this very budget minded setup, one shouldn't be trying to flux around with putting front calipers out to the rear. Why? If you do that, you will need to highly upgrade the fronts to make up teh bias difference. End result? Costing way more than just doing my suggestion in the 1st place.

The 3 gen crowd is very lucky. You guys can have a frt/rear bbk for WAAAY cheaper than the 4 gen+ crowd by using the Z31 rear rotor upgrade pioneered by Matt so many years ago.
do you still sell those brackets for the front J30 setup?
Old 06-18-2008, 03:06 PM

I hope you guys realize that the LSV talk wont work unless you transfer over the entire ABS system. The metal lines go to different places and have different shapes, so you cant swap them and expect it to end up at the master cylinder.

The cobra + z32 stops quite well, even on what I think might be my poor-quality pads. The rotors are real heavy though, there is a noticeable drop in the "umpf" department.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:27 PM
I'm needing a caw

do you still sell those brackets for the front J30 setup?
The brackets are generic for the 13" cobra rotor. Whether they are used with Z32 4 piston or the J30/Q45 2 piston.

And I have ONE set left from the big batch I had made some time ago.

$60 shipped to paypal "Jeff_Iwata@yahoo.com"

Quick Reply: Big(ger) Brake Swap