3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

NEED HELP with my MCC (manual climate control) PLZ HELP

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 10:12 PM

NEED HELP with my MCC (manual climate control) PLZ HELP

Hello Guys.
I have a 93 nissan maxima VG and my climate control was acting funny lately. First of the my back light for the buttons that show what position is which would complety turn of but the light that comes on when u hit a position which is located on the very top of the buttons would work. I would bang it and it would only have backlight or just top light. Now i only have backlight and dont have the light for the buttons which is on top of every button. When i press a button to blow hot air into the feet it blows for feet and for body. Tried it for a windshield and it does the same. In another words it doesn't change position. My AC is on all the time cant turn it off. Meaning the ac button is in the off position but its still working. Now i am assuming it an old MCC so maybe i need a replacement or it could be like the unlock and the lock button thing that is under my steering wheel which i have soldered and it works fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks in advance....
Old 10-25-2007, 11:56 PM

First, you should try and replace the main unit, if it still acts up, there is probably something wrong with your mode door motor, either mechanical or electrical. Might have to replace the motor or just adjust the linkage. If the A/C is still always on, try swapping the relay. Actually, you could probably try the relay first since it's easy. Lighting is just loose bulbs.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:01 AM

If you live close to me, I could give you a working unit from my parts car. I got auto on my Max, so it's of no use to me.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:55 AM

where is the relay located???
Old 10-26-2007, 10:47 PM

?
Old 10-27-2007, 01:43 AM

Black box in the engine bay by the battery.
Old 10-27-2007, 03:56 PM

Ok well if the relay is fried then my lights wouldnt go on but when i bang against my MCC the lights for the button (which is on the very top) light up for a sec. I think i need to resolder it like i did to the lock and unlock main unit. Guys would appreciate all the advices i can get.. Thanks
Old 10-28-2007, 08:07 PM

FIlled my half a tank and waisted like a quater driving like 25 miles. Can't turn off my ac cause when i press the button the light doesn't come on. What can it be can some one help me with it. Everytime i use heat i turns the ac on with it. Took out the ac fuse. Can't adjust to to blow for defoger or feet only. Do i need a new MCC or it can be a fuse. BTW didn't find a fuse for it. Thanks in advance
Old 10-29-2007, 10:45 AM
Would be lost w/out the org

the illumination lights are not controlled by the AC relay...they only work with a separate wire thats powered when your headlights are on. The little green indicator lights are controlled by a basic switch mechanism. When one is depressed, the others are not. I'd say something went wrong with the main unit. It's a real pain to remove though. You have to take out the panel by your knees, the glove box, the center console, the radio panel, and the panel surrounding the radio to get it out, since it sits behind everything. If anyone knows another way then let me know, but I've taken mine out 3-4 times to do LED wiring work on it. Once it's out, you can get a new one for like $10 anywhere on the classifieds section. Install in reverse order....Either way, I'd say you need a new AC unit or take your current one out, look at the solder points, and fix it.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:31 PM

So its definatly my MCC right. I guees i am gonna have to buy me a new one. Well listen thanks a lot for a nice detailed answer.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:49 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by traxtar944
the illumination lights are not controlled by the AC relay...they only work with a separate wire thats powered when your headlights are on. The little green indicator lights are controlled by a basic switch mechanism. When one is depressed, the others are not. I'd say something went wrong with the main unit. It's a real pain to remove though. You have to take out the panel by your knees, the glove box, the center console, the radio panel, and the panel surrounding the radio to get it out, since it sits behind everything. If anyone knows another way then let me know, but I've taken mine out 3-4 times to do LED wiring work on it. Once it's out, you can get a new one for like $10 anywhere on the classifieds section. Install in reverse order....Either way, I'd say you need a new AC unit or take your current one out, look at the solder points, and fix it.
i did the standard radio tear down and then unbolted the control head and twisted it out.
the big pain to me was the control cables
Old 10-29-2007, 11:15 PM

How and where do you take off the control cables. I was at a junkyard and i tried to take it out but i couldn't figure out a way so i cut them both. LOL But this is my car and i can't be cutting i wan't it done the right way. Update: Tried to bang the MCC see if the lights would come on but it didn't instead my clock stopped working. It was messing with me i would give it a bang and it would stop. But it doesn't work. Also noticed that when i press the windshield wiper control arm thing to spray water on the windshield the wiper doesn't work. Last time i used it was like a week ago and it worked fine also the slowest speed on it doesnt work. So now i am assuming i got a burned wire somewhere. I had a fuse blow on me like 3 to 4 days ago for the corner lights and the taillights i replaced it with a 15 but it was a 10. Drove for a day and got me a 10 and switched it. I am all confused and need some help. Is there a fuse for a MCC light bulbs,wiper speed 1,and a clock.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:58 AM

the control cables are held in by small clips. The blue one is easy to get off, the black one is MUCH more difficult while the unit is in the car. You'll have to look at the bottom where it connects to the slider thing and pull out the retaining clip. After that just angle it so that it slips out. The blue cable needs to be angled as well to slip out. I tried to twist it out like Brian did, but I got scared I'd break something or scratch it...you can do it however you like, depending on how risky you feel like being. I think installation would be much easier if you just took everything out. Oh, plan on having little cuts on your hands after doing this job...it happens every time.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:01 PM
mod or sell?

I took one out at the head and the other at the other end
Old 10-31-2007, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
I took one out at the head and the other at the other end
Your ***???
Old 10-31-2007, 08:09 PM
mod or sell?

control head
Old 10-31-2007, 11:32 PM

OK so what can i do about the clock and the wiper thing... i am so confused and mad. Thanks for all the help as of now but i do need more.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:59 AM

BTW some pictures of the clips and how to take them of would be great. Thanks
Old 11-01-2007, 12:01 PM

Off-hand, I think the clock has a fuse...but the lights in the MCC and wiper speed 1 definetally don't have their own fuse. The lights more than likely just burned out. As far as the wipers go, (if I understand correctly) they work fine, but when you want to spray washer fluid the wiper's don't turn on. Correct? Also, your lowest setting doesn't work. I'm thinking it could be the actual switch itself. You might have to go to a junkyard and get a new wiper selector arm and try to swap it out.

Also, you might have burned out the clock internals. Banging on the MCC wouldn't blow the clock fuse. Anyone chime in with thoughts or comments
Old 11-02-2007, 12:43 AM

yea u got everything correct. Tell you the truth i think i have the same problem as an org member named BlooToof with the burned wires. I mean all of the sudden my light for mcc stop working clock dies on me 3 days later and my wiper speed 1 died and also doesnt work when i use it to spray on the windshield. Sounds a lot of problems to me and a lot of thigns going wrong at the same time. I hope it is as you say it say. BTW if the switch works for washer fluid then i dont see y the speed 1 wouldnt work while speed 2 and 3 does. Confused here. Need some more help. Thanks by the way
Old 11-02-2007, 08:50 AM
mod or sell?

use a test light and make sure voltage makes it out of the switch in all the appropriate positions