3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

A few questions from a newbie....please help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2001, 10:26 PM

A few questions from a newbie....please help!

a few questions, is there anything particular method on how i should put on my courtesey FSTB? also occasionaly when i rev up my engine (and only occ.) it will put out some white smoke, is this bad and what do you think could cause it? and last for anyone who has a transmission cooler are they hard to install and how bad will it affect my heat in winter? (i live in central IL) thanks for everything and sorry for the long post.
Old 10-21-2001, 10:47 PM
To them I'm like an idol

Re: A few questions from a newbie....please help!

Originally posted by rambo91145
a few questions, is there anything particular method on how i should put on my courtesey FSTB? also occasionaly when i rev up my engine (and only occ.) it will put out some white smoke, is this bad and what do you think could cause it? and last for anyone who has a transmission cooler are they hard to install and how bad will it affect my heat in winter? (i live in central IL) thanks for everything and sorry for the long post.
I had the high rev/white smoke thing happen to me too. It was a coolant leak under the intake manifold, between the heads. . Luckily for me it was a steel hose fitting that needed tightening. Are you overheating or losing coolant? This might be why.

On the FSTB, be sure to use a good torque wrench, and don't strip the nuts, like I did.
Old 10-22-2001, 04:33 AM
lp
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: A few questions from a newbie....please help!

Originally posted by rambo91145
FSTB: Remove the 3 strut bolts on top of each of the strut towers leaving the large bolt in the middle untouched. Fit the STB plates over the threads and torque down the bolts again to between 29-40 ft/lbs. Anywhere between these torques is fine, I go to 35 ft/lb.

Attach the bar end links to the bar and even them up on either side so that the brace is 'centered' between the mounts, fitting one end link to a mount loosely and then aligning is the easiest way. When your happy its centered tighten the end links. Then tighten the bars locking nuts to the point where they are firm but not 'pushing' or 'pulling' on the bar itself.

This took me longer to write than it does to fit the bar, good luck!
Old 10-23-2001, 10:06 AM

there has been no coolant lost at all it stays filled to the brim, and no overheat either. i will check tho, it may be a coolant leak. whatever it is its sort of embarrasing.....i got my fstb on, and i love it! the max corners SO much better, and stiffens it up a little on the highway. this is the best low cost upgrade i have ever made! thanks for the ideas guys. i let you kow what i find....