3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 08:14 AM
Noob wanting more

Suspension

I think th front suspension on my car is going out. Whenever i go over a speed bump, it feels like the front passenger side supsension is about to blow out. Does it sound like i need a whole new suspension system for the front of the car or do you guys think it could be something else.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:54 AM
mod or sell?

sounds like you need to look at it closely or take it in for a free inspection somewhere and have them SHOW you what is bad.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:12 PM
Donating member? what the?!

Help the experts (not me) understand what "blow out" mean...

Some things to consider:
Is it bottoming out?
When you go over speed bumps at 5mph, does your oil pan kiss the pavement?
You are required at all costs to go 1mph when going up your driveway/a driveway?
What driving limitations would you have to invoke inorder to not damage the car any further (since it sounds like it can drive)?
etc.

Like you might hear from others, just as you're gonna hear now, What seems like a "blow out" to you may be considered differently to someone else.

Of course, I'm not necessarily the one to give you the repair advice or diagnosis, but just here to help you get the help you're lookin' for. But, from how I understand the suspension, springs primary job is to lift your car up and to remove the road's imperfections from transferring up your wheels into the entire car (much like a bike w/ no shocks/springs). The shocks/struts keep the car from bouncing all over the place and bring the springs back under control (hence, shock absorbers).

So, when at park, and you push down on the wheelside you're speaking of, and it just slams up and down like a bobble head, you may need new struts. If your car is slouching on the wheelside you're speaking of, I'd point at the springs... struts too, as you could have worn them out.

IMO, if your suspension is blowing out... then you should take it into the shop to fix it, unless you're mechanically abled, then you can DIY.

Last edited by super32; 11-02-2007 at 01:16 PM. Reason: add some more thoughts