3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

3rd gen automatic Maxima does 12s in the 1/4 mile!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007 | 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
Maxus IS in chicago again in 08. however we are working on a road course not a drag strip this year
Good i enjoy road courses more than drag strips.
Old 11-25-2007 | 12:02 PM
Fox Body FTW

I hope they let 17 year olds behind the wheel Damn late birthdays!!!!

but i'll try my best to come to maxus...event if i can't participate in the events
Old 11-25-2007 | 12:09 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Maxus IS in chicago again in 08. however we are working on a road course not a drag strip this year
Perfect, I shall have front and rear upgraded swaybars with poly all around. I might even go Koni with Eibach by then
Old 11-25-2007 | 05:07 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

awwcrap. I gotta get a move on with this dang car. I'm not willing to gut the interior for weight savings so i'm going to need to stock up on parts pretty soon.

By the time maxus is here, HOPEFULLY i will have a VE suspension with KYB struts in place of OEM, fixed the steering and all poly bushings, 5spd swap (dunno which engine's tranny i'm going to use) and some new rubber, and a ypipe. Not going UDP route either, tho I may bring a plug-in charger and just race off the battery if it will go that long with no alternator.

My goal is to break 14s by the time maxus is here. I doubt a ypipe alone will do that, so I may still be in the mid 15s tho. Not too hard to do from where my car is now, at 16.3
Old 11-26-2007 | 07:17 AM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by maxmaxima91
Some day i would love to line up next to you. lots of fun.

Crazy launch VS.. Crazy top end.

whos gunna win.

Nice work by the way. a 12.9 at only 105 is pretty darn respectable in a fwd car.
Yeah, that would be awesome.

Originally Posted by capecadaver
My goal is to break 14s by the time maxus is here. I doubt a ypipe alone will do that, so I may still be in the mid 15s tho. Not too hard to do from where my car is now, at 16.3
A Ypipe alone will shave about 3 tenths in the 1/4 mile for you. So you'll need a little more to get in the high 15s.
Old 11-27-2007 | 03:10 PM

still not fast enough.

hehehhe

congrats man. took you how long?!?

i take paypal
Old 11-27-2007 | 03:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Good job Aaron!

I want your track tires....

Originally Posted by Bryan H
i take paypal
LMAO!!
Old 11-27-2007 | 07:50 PM
NWP Engineering.com

still not fast enough.

hehehhe

congrats man. took you how long?!?

i take paypal
Once I got nitrous, it only took me a couple months to start doing 12s. But since the beginning of my stock VE Auto, in order to go from 16.7 to a 12.8 with a crap load of mods... it took exactly 6 years. lol

Originally Posted by 505max94se
Good job Aaron!

I want your track tires....
My MT slicks? I may get rid of them one day if I ever decide to go with a larger slick size. But any slick with a properly setup suspension can yield some great 60 foots.
Old 11-27-2007 | 08:19 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Aaron92SE
A Ypipe alone will shave about 3 tenths in the 1/4 mile for you. So you'll need a little more to get in the high 15s.
well i have an unjustifiable apprehension about Nitrous, so I'll be sticking to 'dry mods'. I could always use 93 and kick up the timing a few degrees (i'm at 18, as you yourself checked). that's good for what, 5hp? I could use lighter wheels and slicks/skinnies. I do still plan to switch to a manual tho, which will undoubtedly hurt my 60' times, but at the same time, should help alot with weight reduction. I will NOT gut this car until i have another car as a DD. I don't really plan to drop much weight at all. I may do something concerning accessories (perhaps driving NOTHING but the water pump... i can steer with no PS if i work out a little bit.... or is this dangerous in the event of an emergency maneuver mid-run... hmm maybe PS should stay then) but definitely ac and alternator belts can come off for track days. I'd like to have a way to plug into 120v ac to keep the battery charged after each run. i could also run minimum fuel load. and keep a tank trackside of fuel. Hmm.. disabling EGR funciton does that add power?

OK can you tell me how much that all will help? You're the master, after all.

also, what we've heard about increasing the exhaust diameter for the whole exhaust line causing a shift in the power band toward higher RPM... possibly good for a 5spd VG drag car? softer launch, harder pull to redline? just a thought.
Old 11-27-2007 | 08:35 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by capedcadaver
well i have an unjustifiable apprehension about Nitrous, so I'll be sticking to 'dry mods'. I could always use 93 and kick up the timing a few degrees (i'm at 18, as you yourself checked). that's good for what, 5hp? I could use lighter wheels and slicks/skinnies. I do still plan to switch to a manual tho, which will undoubtedly hurt my 60' times, but at the same time, should help alot with weight reduction. I will NOT gut this car until i have another car as a DD. I don't really plan to drop much weight at all. I may do something concerning accessories (perhaps driving NOTHING but the water pump... i can steer with no PS if i work out a little bit.... or is this dangerous in the event of an emergency maneuver mid-run... hmm maybe PS should stay then) but definitely ac and alternator belts can come off for track days. I'd like to have a way to plug into 120v ac to keep the battery charged after each run. i could also run minimum fuel load. and keep a tank trackside of fuel. Hmm.. disabling EGR funciton does that add power?

OK can you tell me how much that all will help? You're the master, after all.

also, what we've heard about increasing the exhaust diameter for the whole exhaust line causing a shift in the power band toward higher RPM... possibly good for a 5spd VG drag car? softer launch, harder pull to redline? just a thought.
I wasn't implying "nitrous". I just said you may need a little more to get in the 15s.

Disabling the EGR won't really improve performance. So I wouldn't worry about that. It does prevent hot and dirty exhaust from being recirculating in your intake. At WOT, the EGR doesn't open, so blocking the EGR shouldn't yield a noticable HP increase at WOT.

Go ahead and put in a cutout or just unbolt your cat at the track. That'll be a great way to shave a couple tenths.

Also, removing the alternator belt can shave a tenth or two also. The alternator sucks a LOT of power. Try it one day on the street. You'll feel a big difference. Just make sure the water pump isn't effected. I don't know off hand what other accessories the water pump belt drives.

You don't have to gut your car. But you can start trying to shave weight behind the scenes. There are a lot of areas you can shave weight without sacrificing safety or comfort. Lighter race wheels is a good start. Mazda Millenia wheels are 12lbs! I wouldn't bother with rear skinnies unless you have plans to really get serious with your car at the drag strip.

You can advance timing to around 20-22 degrees safely. That might yield another couple HP on top of what you currently have.

And a little port work will definitely help. I have a set of VG intake manifolds and I see a LOT of restrictions that can be eliminated pretty easily with my porting services.

And doing a 5spd conversion will be your BIGGEST mod! A stock VG 5spd runs about a 16 flat. A stock VG Auto should run very high 16s. So you'll be running mid 15s just by doing a 5spd conversion. And your 60 foot won't suffer once you know how to drive it. In fact, your 60 foot will improve.

The only way that a 5spd can hurt you is consistancy. It's tough to drive. But you can still get killer 60 foots. Look at Nealoc187 and DandyMax! Lots of 1.7 and 1.8 60 foots there in their 5spds.

You'll learn how to launch a 5spd. You should be seeing 2.2s easily after the conversion.

You'll have a 14 second NA Maxima very quickly since it sounds like you aren't scared to tinker.
Old 11-27-2007 | 08:53 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

I wasn't implying "nitrous". I just said you may need a little more to get in the 15s.

Disabling the EGR won't really improve performance. So I wouldn't worry about that. It does prevent hot and dirty exhaust from being recirculating in your intake. At WOT, the EGR doesn't open, so blocking the EGR shouldn't yield a noticable HP increase at WOT.

Go ahead and put in a cutout or just unbolt your cat at the track. That'll be a great way to shave a couple tenths.

Also, removing the alternator belt can shave a tenth or two also. The alternator sucks a LOT of power. Try it one day on the street. You'll feel a big difference. Just make sure the water pump isn't effected. I don't know off hand what other accessories the water pump belt drives.

You don't have to gut your car. But you can start trying to shave weight behind the scenes. There are a lot of areas you can shave weight without sacrificing safety or comfort. Lighter race wheels is a good start. Mazda Millenia wheels are 12lbs! I wouldn't bother with rear skinnies unless you have plans to really get serious with your car at the drag strip.

You can advance timing to around 20-22 degrees safely. That might yield another couple HP on top of what you currently have.

And a little port work will definitely help. I have a set of VG intake manifolds and I see a LOT of restrictions that can be eliminated pretty easily with my porting services.

And doing a 5spd conversion will be your BIGGEST mod! A stock VG 5spd runs about a 16 flat. A stock VG Auto should run very high 16s. So you'll be running mid 15s just by doing a 5spd conversion. And your 60 foot won't suffer once you know how to drive it. In fact, your 60 foot will improve.

The only way that a 5spd can hurt you is consistancy. It's tough to drive. But you can still get killer 60 foots. Look at Nealoc187 and DandyMax! Lots of 1.7 and 1.8 60 foots there in their 5spds.

You'll learn how to launch a 5spd. You should be seeing 2.2s easily after the conversion.

You'll have a 14 second NA Maxima very quickly since it sounds like you aren't scared to tinker.
from crank... it's PS/wpump, then alty, then ac.

unbolting that cat........ ohhboy. http://s164.photobucket.com/albums/u...t=IMG_0079.jpg
i ought to replace all that crap, really. Just hook the ypipe to a good exhaust line and hang it as a set. Should i continue to use standard fastners for that junction or something that is more designed for lots of removal/replacement of the cat flange?

i can remove that STUPID weight behind the rear seat. i keep meaning to do that. I'll look more intensely into wheel/tire packages because if I run street tires at the track then i want 215 50 17s. But i may use different rims. It's all a matter of cost.

and there is a ghost of a chance i'll boost it. later rather than sooner tho.

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 11-27-2007 at 08:56 PM.
Old 11-27-2007 | 09:18 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by capedcadaver
from crank... it's PS/wpump, then alty, then ac.

unbolting that cat........ ohhboy. http://s164.photobucket.com/albums/u...t=IMG_0079.jpg
i ought to replace all that crap, really. Just hook the ypipe to a good exhaust line and hang it as a set. Should i continue to use standard fastners for that junction or something that is more designed for lots of removal/replacement of the cat flange?

i can remove that STUPID weight behind the rear seat. i keep meaning to do that. I'll look more intensely into wheel/tire packages because if I run street tires at the track then i want 215 50 17s. But i may use different rims. It's all a matter of cost.

and there is a ghost of a chance i'll boost it. later rather than sooner tho.
That's the way the VE is setup as far as belts. You can definitely go ahead and remove the AC belt even though the compressor is clutch driven. Then while you're at the track, you can remove the alternator belt real quick. Just have a jump starter box with you just in case. I always hook up a multimeter to battery voltage so I can keep an eye on things while racing. In fact, I ALWAYS have a multimeter connected. I keep it below my ebrake. I use that thing all the time. I'll be using it more when I put in a 6lb battery instead of a 40lb one.

If you are looking for a light wheel/tire setup, then you need to stick with 15". But if you are going to get 17s, Rotas are usually around 16lbs each. I put 225/45R17s on my 17x7.5 Subzeros. The entire setup is 38lbs, which is exactly the same as my 15" SE wheels with my el cheapo 205/60R15 setup.

The stock cat flange is just fine for repeated R&R. You can reuse the cat gasket many times without problems. But all that rust isn't good.
Old 12-06-2007 | 12:58 PM

you're goin to need more mph.

40 punch?

Old 12-06-2007 | 01:03 PM

12.9, damn thats good for an auto...nice job
Old 12-06-2007 | 01:05 PM
NWP Engineering.com

you're goin to need more mph.

40 punch?

I need more mph in order to do what?

And what is 40 punch?
Old 12-06-2007 | 01:20 PM
mod or sell?

I need more mph in order to do what?

And what is 40 punch?
An AMP?
Old 12-10-2007 | 09:06 AM
NWP Engineering.com

An AMP?
I still don't know either.
Old 12-10-2007 | 09:07 AM

runnin from a roll

nevermind.
Old 12-10-2007 | 09:10 AM
NWP Engineering.com

runnin from a roll

nevermind.
I'm confused. I'm interested if you have any suggestions or comments.
Old 12-10-2007 | 09:30 AM
mod or sell?

runnin from a roll

nevermind.
at least it makes some sense now
Old 12-10-2007 | 11:31 AM

I'm confused. I'm interested if you have any suggestions or comments.
you went faster than i ever did with my ve. i already know what you have done. so it's all on your shoulders now kiddo. i gave you ever little bit of info that i remembered from "back then", and well. you ran with it. now look at ya!
Old 12-10-2007 | 11:53 AM
NWP Engineering.com

you went faster than i ever did with my ve. i already know what you have done. so it's all on your shoulders now kiddo. i gave you ever little bit of info that i remembered from "back then", and well. you ran with it. now look at ya!
Haha exactly! Thank you. The only thing I didn't do was tinker around with the voltage of my fuel pump or cut my door beams to shave weight.

If you have any other crazy ideas, feel free let me know b/c I'll definitely consider them!

I am in uncharted territory with this VE. Not many people have made the VE go this fast before.
Old 12-10-2007 | 12:07 PM

Haha exactly! Thank you. The only thing I didn't do was tinker around with the voltage of my fuel pump or cut my door beams to shave weight.

If you have any other crazy ideas, feel free let me know b/c I'll definitely consider them!

I am in uncharted territory with this VE. Not many people have made the VE go this fast before.
fuel pump. regulator. up the shot.

fun things start to happen at 150.
Old 12-10-2007 | 12:09 PM
Taking my Maxima to the Max!

What do you think the top speed is with your VE? Is that increased also by the mods you've done in addition to the acceleration?
Old 12-10-2007 | 12:10 PM
NWP Engineering.com

fuel pump. regulator. up the shot.

fun things start to happen at 150.
Yeap! I definitely plan to give the 150 progressive single stage shot a try to see if 11s will be possible. It's likely I'll go even higher one day, but I want to have a spare VE all built up and ready to drop in before I blow this one.
Old 12-10-2007 | 12:13 PM

Yeap! I definitely plan to give the 150 progressive single stage shot a try to see if 11s will be possible. It's likely I'll go even higher one day, but I want to have a spare VE all built up and ready to drop in before I blow this one.
well. get to it!
Old 12-10-2007 | 12:15 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by mrkanda
What do you think the top speed is with your VE? Is that increased also by the mods you've done in addition to the acceleration?
The VE has a speed limiter of 149mph. That is at least what the ECU has stored in it. I never knew this until recently.

I have personally seen my speedometer say 155mph! That was YEARS ago back when I was running low 15s in the 1/4 mile. Now that 155mph is not GPS confirmed or anything. But I was probably going about 140mph realistically. Stock speedometers are WAY off to begin with.

I wouldn't want to spray nitrous in OD trying to go 140+mph. The load you'd be putting on your motor is off the scales and it would be very easy to experience heavy detonation.
Old 12-10-2007 | 12:19 PM

The VE has a speed limiter of 149mph. That is at least what the ECU has stored in it. I never knew this until recently.

I have personally seen my speedometer say 155mph! That was YEARS ago back when I was running low 15s in the 1/4 mile. Now that 155mph is not GPS confirmed or anything. But I was probably going about 140mph realistically. Stock speedometers are WAY off to begin with.

I wouldn't want to spray nitrous in OD trying to go 140+mph. The load you'd be putting on your motor is off the scales and it would be very easy to experience heavy detonation.
must be an auto thing
Old 12-10-2007 | 12:27 PM
NWP Engineering.com

must be an auto thing
Engine load pertains to any type of tranny in an overdriven gear. Same reason you wouldn't want to spray a large shot of nitrous in the bottom of 5th gen on a manual.

Or were you referring to the speed limiter. That I don't know. But I do know that the ECU shows a 149mph speed limiter within the coding in my VE Auto ECU.

But what I don't understand is that my speedometer was buried and was showing atleast 10mph beyond the 145mph and the car was still pulling when I let off. I was just running out of easily visible straight highway. So if the speedometer was showing 155mph or so, shouldn't I have been hitting the speed limiter?

Let me just say that going this speed in a Maxima is stupid. It's something I will never do again!

Some years ago when I was tinkering around with emulating a 300zx ECU in my 92 Maxima, I set the speed limiter to 35mph and I stepped on the gas from a stop. It quickly accelerated to about 40mph and then it brought me back to exactly 35mph. Pretty cool stuff!
Old 12-10-2007 | 12:36 PM

Engine load pertains to any type of tranny in an overdriven gear. Same reason you wouldn't want to spray a large shot of nitrous in the bottom of 5th gen on a manual.

Or were you referring to the speed limiter. That I don't know. But I do know that the ECU shows a 149mph speed limiter within the coding in my VE Auto ECU.

But what I don't understand is that my speedometer was buried and was showing atleast 10mph beyond the 145mph and the car was still pulling when I let off. I was just running out of easily visible straight highway. So if the speedometer was showing 155mph or so, shouldn't I have been hitting the speed limiter?

Let me just say that going this speed in a Maxima is stupid. It's something I will never do again!

Some years ago when I was tinkering around with emulating a 300zx ECU in my 92 Maxima, I set the speed limiter to 35mph and I stepped on the gas from a stop. It quickly accelerated to about 40mph and then it brought me back to exactly 35mph. Pretty cool stuff!

bhaaaaaaaaa
i sprayed at 140 mph in mine. then again, i was young and stupid. i never encountered a speed limiter in teh ve i had. then again, i was a 5 spd.
Old 12-10-2007 | 12:45 PM
NWP Engineering.com

bhaaaaaaaaa
i sprayed at 140 mph in mine. then again, i was young and stupid. i never encountered a speed limiter in teh ve i had. then again, i was a 5 spd.
Yeah, I don't think anybody has ever actually hit the speed limiter in any VE. I certainly haven't noticed it.
Old 12-10-2007 | 12:49 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

noob q:
does my vg have a speed limiter?
my brother said he hit it in my car at 'bout 120, but he's stupid and never been on a track...
Old 12-10-2007 | 12:53 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by benstoked
noob q:
does my vg have a speed limiter?
my brother said he hit it in my car at 'bout 120, but he's stupid and never been on a track...
yes it has a speed limiter
Old 12-10-2007 | 12:58 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

yes it has a speed limiter
did he hit it, or is it higher? i mean that doesn't sound very high, but then
again, the speedo goes to 125...

the reason i ask is bc there is other stuff being sorted out on my car(alignment issues primarily) and that may have caused it
he said it "just started shaking[the car]" and didn't stop til bout 95
does that sound right?
also whats the rev limit set at?
Old 12-10-2007 | 01:11 PM
mod or sell?

I don't recall either.
the VE A/T limiter is in the 6500-6700 rpm range, I've hit it a couple of times.
Old 12-10-2007 | 01:30 PM
STFU n00b!

the VG auto will shift into 4th gear at around 120mph. at that speed, it takes about 130 of the 160hp just to keep the car at constant speed. that's probably what he felt since the tranny wasn't putting any power down during the shift and it slowed down from wind resistance. I remember the first time my VG did that, I thought I hit a speed limiter too.

Aaron, if the speed limiter is set in the ECU, it is only in the auto. Bryan and I have both experienced speeds higher than that in our cars. I've had my GPS show 138mph when the speedo was showing ~150, but I've also had the speedo buried to well past the 165 range on the gauge before the GPS was connected. Since I got the GPS, I've only had enough open road to hit the 138 before I had to slow down.. still pulling hard tho.
Old 12-10-2007 | 03:14 PM
NWP Engineering.com

I don't recall either.
the VE A/T limiter is in the 6500-6700 rpm range, I've hit it a couple of times.
Yeah, my tach shows about 6650 for my rev limiter.

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
the VG auto will shift into 4th gear at around 120mph. at that speed, it takes about 130 of the 160hp just to keep the car at constant speed. that's probably what he felt since the tranny wasn't putting any power down during the shift and it slowed down from wind resistance. I remember the first time my VG did that, I thought I hit a speed limiter too.

Aaron, if the speed limiter is set in the ECU, it is only in the auto. Bryan and I have both experienced speeds higher than that in our cars. I've had my GPS show 138mph when the speedo was showing ~150, but I've also had the speedo buried to well past the 165 range on the gauge before the GPS was connected. Since I got the GPS, I've only had enough open road to hit the 138 before I had to slow down.. still pulling hard tho.
149mph is what was stored in my ECU. But if my speedo said 155mph, then that's what the ECU thought I was moving and therefore would have limited me. So it's very likely that 149mph was specified, but not set. I am not totally sure if that is possible or not.

No doubt, the VE pulls hard on top end, especially for a brick on wheels. It sure does sound like the VE doesn't have a speed limiter set b/c I sure haven't noticed it.
Old 12-10-2007 | 07:38 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Matt93SE

i took my vg auto to 120 (in 4th from 45mph.. slow acceleration) and it had some left in it. I didn't floor it tho, just a trickle up to that speed. felt fine tho. wasn't pulling HARD but it wasn't done speeding up either.
Old 12-10-2007 | 10:09 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Pfff, my GPS says my max speed is 143mph... I've got pics too. Wonder if GPS is lying to me
Old 12-11-2007 | 05:12 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

that would suck if you guys with GPS started getting speeding tickets from BigBrother by tracking your signals.

its a conspiracy, maaaan!!!

Quick Reply: 3rd gen automatic Maxima does 12s in the 1/4 mile!