3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

In Dash GPS where clock went

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 01:45 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

In Dash GPS where clock went

Alright so I got a navigation system for Christmas the day after Thanks Giving but never liked having it with that suction cup so I put some thought into it and yet no luck. Talked Chris (maxpowr) about 3 weeks ago and he's like, why dont you just put it where the clock goes? So I did. Heres what i got so far, keep in mind it still needs more detail work done.

Old 12-25-2007, 01:47 PM

Last edited by ColombianMax; 12-25-2007 at 01:51 PM.
Old 12-25-2007, 01:58 PM
mod or sell?

still need to work on those edges.
Old 12-25-2007, 01:58 PM

Beats the clock!

Merry Christ's mas
Old 12-25-2007, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
still need to work on those edges.
Yea I know, I had em nice and smooth but had to refiberglass it and I got desperate and just put it on lol. I'll dremel it later

Thanks Hectic, wonder what that lil project of yours is...
Old 12-25-2007, 04:26 PM

That looks really good, nice job
Old 12-25-2007, 06:03 PM
Alex_V

Not bad. I'm sure it'll look pretty good all cleaned up too. If you want to make it look stock like, get some wrinkle finish paint from home depo or lowes.

~Alex

Old 12-25-2007, 07:23 PM
bald aggression est 78

thats what im talkin about a classy mod, thats not gawdy.looks almost like it came from the factory like that.keep'em comin
Old 12-25-2007, 09:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

awesome job! you're onto something there.
Old 12-25-2007, 09:55 PM

u were blabbing on the phone about doing this, "like OH MY GOD!, I'm like gonna totatly like put my GPS or some junk in my dash.....as soon as my highlights are done gurrrllll" glad to see u did it and can't wait for the final product.

PS I might be in Chicago in a few weeks, still deciding if I am gonna drive the max or not.
Old 12-26-2007, 01:15 AM

Hey guys thanks for those incredibly kind words. Today when the gfs dad saw it, he liked it and offered to help me perfect it. I took his offer and will be going over sometime this week. He suggested the same Alex said about texture paint to get some texture on there. #1 goal here is stock looking and so far its coming out alright. Here's a quick video my gf shot on the way back from a christmas family gather. Vid was taken with our new Sony digital cam that has a 1080p sticker on it, wonder if its video or picture quality...

Old 12-26-2007, 09:49 AM
Jesus was a Zombie.

so you gonna mass market these?
id like to do it, I considered doing it, but saw the hole was too small and discounted it.
how is it held in place?

as far as texture, i've seen kits to fix vinyl and leather seats, which have a similar texture, but im not sure how well would they work...

it'll be a SIIICCKKKK finished project!!!!
Old 12-26-2007, 11:54 AM
I miss my VE

wow mr. blue toot, looks pretty sweet. hope u can make it look clean
Old 12-26-2007, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by VEvolution
wow mr. blue toot, looks pretty sweet. hope u can make it look clean
Hey have you been gone for a while? I havent seen you in some time now, unless I'm going

Ben- mass production eh? I guess i'd have to have some demand, everyone with same size GPS and be a org supporter so I dont know sounds like a lot of work and Im leLazy
Old 12-26-2007, 01:47 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by BlooToof
Hey have you been gone for a while? I havent seen you in some time now, unless I'm going

Ben- mass production eh? I guess i'd have to have some demand, everyone with same size GPS and be a org supporter so I dont know sounds like a lot of work and Im leLazy
have you checked to see if the navi part even works where you mounted it?
Old 12-26-2007, 03:45 PM

he can always add an ext antenna
Old 12-26-2007, 03:47 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

have you checked to see if the navi part even works where you mounted it?
seeing the video, he has streets, and speed, so i would guess it'll work,

hey, John, what GPS do you have?
I have the nuvi 200, which has a similar interface, you got the 200w?

on a similar, but maybe off topic, idea, I have considered using an LCD to display carpc info. just in the research stage as of yet, but I think it would be handy
Old 12-26-2007, 03:48 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

Originally Posted by gapboi210
he can always add an ext antenna
John, correct me if im wrong, but the model he used [i don't think] has an external antenna option...
... at least without modding the gps
Old 12-26-2007, 03:55 PM

That's nice!! What model GPS do you have?
Old 12-26-2007, 06:07 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by benstoked
seeing the video, he has streets, and speed, so i would guess it'll work,

hey, John, what GPS do you have?
I have the nuvi 200, which has a similar interface, you got the 200w?

on a similar, but maybe off topic, idea, I have considered using an LCD to display carpc info. just in the research stage as of yet, but I think it would be handy
he has the 200 IIRC,
Old 12-26-2007, 07:45 PM

http://www.bestbuy.com/olspage.jsp?i...4&type=product

I have the Garmin Nuvi 350...rated#2 by Consumer Reports #1 is the Nuvi 660 hey not bad #2 as you said, it DOES have an extarnal port for antenna as well.

Brian check the video, shows streets and MPH which requires satellite signal. And yes It got FULL bars.

--
So today I took it to the Gfs dads house and sanded a whole lot more excess crap off and its starting to look like what it should, only problem is that had to sacrifice part of the functionality of the passenger side center vent. The GPS has side mounted mini USB port to recharge from, had to slice away a bit of the inner side of the vent. Doing this cause for the vent not to be able to aim UP all the way or DOWN all the way so it lost about 50% up/down travel but can still be adjusted and to the sides works as should.

Also we were gonna cut the GPS car charger and take power from clock harness since its RIGHT there but decided not to since it might be expensive. For now its routed through the back and plugged in cig lighter.

Last edited by ColombianMax; 12-26-2007 at 07:48 PM.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:57 PM
mod or sell?

consumer reports pff
Old 12-26-2007, 07:59 PM

consumer reports pff
Ok fine, how's this.... Its got every feature that the Nuvi 660 has except a 4.3" display, blootooth, and...I think thats all. And by the way, you loved the Nuvi 660 so
Old 12-26-2007, 09:46 PM
Alex_V

Its got every feature that the Nuvi 660 has except , blootooth,
What no Blutoof???

~Alex

Old 12-26-2007, 10:23 PM

Yea I know, I was gonna get teh 360 which is the next model up from mine which has bloo toof(350) but they didnt have it in stock and I really really wanted GPS lol
Old 12-26-2007, 11:15 PM
I miss my VE

Good eye , I've been messin around with this 330xi lately, but going back to the 4dsc very soon

I have the same navi as you btw

Last edited by VEvolution; 12-27-2007 at 01:24 AM.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by VEvolution
Good eye , I've been messin around with this 330xi lately, but going back to the 4dsc very soon

I have the same navi as you btw
Good then you know for sure it fits in your 3rd gen
Old 12-26-2007, 11:26 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

do you figure the larger 4.3" model would still fit in approximately the same location? maybe moved a half-inch or an inch left where the contour makes the whole area a little taller? Or perhaps in the entire place of that one vent (though I'd hate to kill a whole vent...)
Old 12-26-2007, 11:30 PM

Meh, 3.5 is the way to go for this location IMO. Its actually a perfect size. Not OEM big but big enough to see unlike having a damn GPS on your cellphone.

I'm looking forward to having a nice bright rainy day to take some black and white photos of my interior and capture some raindrops on my windows...kinda like that one I30commercial back 2000-2001 IIRC. Maybe the GPS will make the 3rd gen look fancyshmancy or shall I saY "LeFancy" B&W shots with black leather/white exterior FTW
Old 12-26-2007, 11:46 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Meh, 3.5 is the way to go for this location IMO. Its actually a perfect size. Not OEM big but big enough to see unlike having a damn GPS on your cellphone.

I'm looking forward to having a nice bright rainy day to take some black and white photos of my interior and capture some raindrops on my windows...kinda like that one I30commercial back 2000-2001 IIRC. Maybe the GPS will make the 3rd gen look fancyshmancy or shall I saY "LeFancy" B&W shots with black leather/white exterior FTW
but we americans like it BIG... hence Super Size Fries and a Super Size... diet coke

well mainly i was only thinking that a larger screen would allow for more detail of sidestreets, because the smaller the screen the more you have to sacrifice. Of course a 9" screen you can have every sidestreet in range visible without being zoomed in super-tight to the point where you can't see much around you. But then again i've never really used a car navi system so i don't know too much about it.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by capedcadaver
but we americans like it BIG... hence Super Size Fries and a Super Size... diet coke

well mainly i was only thinking that a larger screen would allow for more detail of sidestreets, because the smaller the screen the more you have to sacrifice. Of course a 9" screen you can have every sidestreet in range visible without being zoomed in super-tight to the point where you can't see much around you. But then again i've never really used a car navi system so i don't know too much about it.
I'll try to get a video worth a couple of minutes for you to see how it displays everything
Old 12-27-2007, 12:06 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by capedcadaver

I second that man, between my friend's 3.5" navi screen and my 7", I would prefer the 7" since it allows more space to display what is ahead (circle, y junction, crap like that) so I can better predict the traffic pattern and helps a great deal in preventing me from missing the exit (merge 4 lanes from left to right in bumper to bumper traffic within 800ft is not fun, I can tell you that from experience.)
Old 12-27-2007, 12:20 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

i say this respectully, but John you really are the master of making truly cool mods that I like but wouldn't/couldn't use on my own max. (the other being the LED tailpiece). I'd probably mount a large screen model with custom mounts that wedge into that trim panel and hold it that way, so i don't have to drill into the dash top or use adhesives on the dash top. But keep 'em coming b/c i know you'll come up with something i can use sooner or later.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:46 AM
mod or sell?

Ok fine, how's this.... Its got every feature that the Nuvi 660 has except a 4.3" display, blootooth, and...I think thats all. And by the way, you loved the Nuvi 660 so
it lacks an FM transmitter and wider is better, just ask....
I still say it should have been pocket mounted, rather than rear mounted.
one day you are going to come out to a missing bezel and GPS.
does the 350 have the rear charge port like the 660 does? or clip mount?
Old 12-27-2007, 11:07 AM

That will be very nice looking when you are finished.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:15 PM

it lacks an FM transmitter and wider is better, just ask....
I still say it should have been pocket mounted, rather than rear mounted.
one day you are going to come out to a missing bezel and GPS.
does the 350 have the rear charge port like the 660 does? or clip mount?
I'm taking this as a threat and advanced warning that you'll be stealing my GPS and bezel

What do you mean by pocket? The 350 has side chargeport. If by pocket you mean drop in, pull out like a tape deck...its on its way with the OTHER spare bezel. Is that what you meant?
Old 12-27-2007, 07:04 PM
mod or sell?

I'm taking this as a threat and advanced warning that you'll be stealing my GPS and bezel

What do you mean by pocket? The 350 has side chargeport. If by pocket you mean drop in, pull out like a tape deck...its on its way with the OTHER spare bezel. Is that what you meant?
I don't have a max to put it in

I guess you can describe a pocket like that.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:17 PM
bald aggression est 78

ok now see what you can do with an 80gb ipod.something flush but easily acceseable i'd like to see that
Old 12-27-2007, 08:02 PM

it's been a while since i've taken the vents out...are they the same size? perhaps you could swap the two center vents or flip them around and cut new holes, so that you could still open and close them. that way you still have that function...
Old 12-27-2007, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Kountz430
ok now see what you can do with an 80gb ipod.something flush but easily acceseable i'd like to see that
I currently have a Premier (higher end Pioneer) head unit thats ipod ready along with an ipod adaptor that allows me to control ipod through remote/head-unit so I have no need to touch the ipod at all. Considering I dont have an ipod at the moment (POS) I cant do anything but my original plan was to just pass the cable to the glove box or armrest compartment so the ipod is never visible for outside 'eyes' if you know what i mean Did you have anything in mind?

Originally Posted by maximal
it's been a while since i've taken the vents out...are they the same size? perhaps you could swap the two center vents or flip them around and cut new holes, so that you could still open and close them. that way you still have that function...
I'm not sure I get what you're saying, would you mind rephrasing? If you're just asking if center vent left is same to center vent right, then yes they're the same except for the mounting.

Quick Reply: In Dash GPS where clock went