3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

I crashed my car; sell or part out?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 05:50 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

you said you were gonna try the jbweld patch.
didit work?
Old 01-03-2008, 09:23 PM

Fix it-- Don't junk it!

Originally Posted by Quickywd01
I crashed my car last week. I was going to keep driving it but the transmission leaked out overnight. Should I try to sell it or part it out?

I have some pretty bad luck. There was a rock that hit the transmission.
Quickywd01:
IMHO, I would buy a used hood from Pick'N'Pull (or another DIY wrecking yard), along with a new bumper cover, and the bumper crossmember too.
The grill you don't need except for appearances, and the only problem
with a dead-center impact like this is, it pulls the frame rails in toward
the center. Easy to fix at a frameshop. In lieu of payment, you might offer to sweep their shop on weekends or pass out promotional flyers
on your own time in trade. You never know 'til ya ask! You can get an estimate to fix the bent rails for free, and do the repairs incrementally. I drove around with a cracked automatic trani for two years refilling the darn thing about once every week or so. If you try JB Weld, make sure the crack is thoroughly clean of any grease, oil or contaminants before applying.
Sounds like the leak is a "dripper", so drain the trani first, then clean the crack and apply the JBW. I just pulled what looks like a good used AT from a '91 Maxima here in Redding, CA two days ago out of a car that has all the parts you need, except the grill. Radiator, condensor, fan shroud & fans, bumper components etc. If you like, maybe we can work something out as far as my pulling this stuff and shipping it to you. Where are you located? How much can you afford? I'll check prices for the
parts tomorrow, if you are interested. I would hate to see you junk a good car.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:18 PM
Taking my Maxima to the Max!

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=549493

Here's a link to a free hood if you are local to DC.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:05 PM

I don't have the time to fix it. I have a warpspeed y-pipe that is about 4 months old on it. The front set of tires is a different brand than the rear but are almost the same all-season tires with like new tread. Also I just bought 4 new kyb struts for the car before this happened and I was about to buy full brakes. I'm thinking about selling the struts and y-pipe here on the forum and selling the car for a low price.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:11 PM

Say, Quickywd01-- I sent you a PM on the purchase of parts and/or the whole car. Please check it out and get back to me.
Mack 531
Old 03-19-2008, 03:06 PM

For Sale $750

My town law(s) don't allow property owners to park their own cars on their own property so I'm forced to sell my maxima. $750 I think is a great deal but let me know if you think otherwise. The tires and wheels alone can be sold for half that. The engine was awesome when I drove it. It's a gxe, leather, sunroof, tan/gold, etc. I have new kyb gr-2 shocks in a box if anyone wants those. http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=556934
Old 03-19-2008, 03:18 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Sorry to loose you as a member of this forum.

good luck with the sale.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:17 PM
mod or sell?

My town law(s) don't allow property owners to park their own cars on their own property so I'm forced to sell my maxima. $750 I think is a great deal but let me know if you think otherwise. The tires and wheels alone can be sold for half that. The engine was awesome when I drove it. It's a gxe, leather, sunroof, tan/gold, etc. I have new kyb gr-2 shocks in a box if anyone wants those. http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=556934
if you are up to a fight you can challenge the legality of that law provided that the vehicle is still in one piece and still plated. if either one of those conditions aren't met then you need to have it stored out of public sight to fight the law.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:41 AM

Yea I hate to loose the car but there's nothing that I can do. I need a car so the plates are on a car I bought after this happened. I'm going to sell the struts and power antenna on the forum because I'm sure someone could use them since they are new in a box.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:07 PM

The only thing that sucks is your tranny but you could grab a jy one and swap it in.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:18 PM

Is the antenna OEM or aftermarket? If OEM, how much?
Old 03-22-2008, 11:16 PM
I miss my VE

Looks like some FWD drifting experiments gone wrong.

If you like the car, I wouldn't do neither. I would keep it. You really don't need that much there. I consider that lucky. My first car(GXE) had the same damage. Came out to a little under $2k with no paint job. I bet if I knew more about cars then, it woulda been alot cheaper.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:08 PM

Yea but with school from 8am-9pm mon-thursday plus work I didn't/don't have the time for the tranny otherwise I would have done that. Thanks for the support though I appreciate it. Even though a lot was wrong with the car I still loved it and I will miss it.
Originally Posted by Tampamaximus

The only thing that sucks is your tranny but you could grab a jy one and swap it in.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:53 PM

I only do stuff like that when it snows and I go play in open parking lots. Drifting a fwd, automatic, 18 year old car on dry pavement would make me cringe and I would never attempt it on a road where the car can barely fit dirving normally. Financially I can't afford to beat on my car like that, yet. I did like the car but it had more things needing repair than I could keep up with. Headliner needed to be replaced, the sunroof wouldnt close, the struts were shot, the brakes needed work, the injectors were going, exhaust manifold leak, etc. I drove it like that and didn't care because I liked the car. I thought about the costs of fixing everything including the damage from the crash and you can see it would be a lot. The car and the forum was great. I have an old awd subaru coupe and I'll drive it till I'm done with school and can afford a nice car which will be a couple of years. I miss the maxima's space and top end on the highway but this thing makes up with handling and awd in snow. Getting my speakers to fit will be a challenge. The k&n fit from the maxima which helps it move along more smoothly, great for gas mileage.

Originally Posted by VEvolution
Looks like some FWD drifting experiments gone wrong.

If you like the car, I wouldn't do neither. I would keep it. You really don't need that much there. I consider that lucky. My first car(GXE) had the same damage. Came out to a little under $2k with no paint job. I bet if I knew more about cars then, it woulda been alot cheaper.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:05 PM
I miss my VE

Sorry to hear it go. You'll be back

I only do stuff like that when it snows and I go play in open parking lots. Drifting a fwd, automatic, 18 year old car on dry pavement would make me cringe and I would never attempt it on a road where the car can barely fit dirving normally. Financially I can't afford to beat on my car like that, yet. I did like the car but it had more things needing repair than I could keep up with. Headliner needed to be replaced, the sunroof wouldnt close, the struts were shot, the brakes needed work, the injectors were going, exhaust manifold leak, etc. I drove it like that and didn't care because I liked the car. I thought about the costs of fixing everything including the damage from the crash and you can see it would be a lot. The car and the forum was great. I have an old awd subaru coupe and I'll drive it till I'm done with school and can afford a nice car which will be a couple of years. I miss the maxima's space and top end on the highway but this thing makes up with handling and awd in snow. Getting my speakers to fit will be a challenge. The k&n fit from the maxima which helps it move along more smoothly, great for gas mileage.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:56 PM

Man that sucks. I know what you mean with repair work. My Maxima Needed a cv shaft, Sway bar, Bushings, Front axles, TRANSMISSION, It just never ends. But I do the work because i LOVE my Car.