3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

One of My Max's in Trouble (I think)

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2000, 09:19 PM

Ok here's the deal...in addition to my '90 SE 5spd, I have a 92GXE auto...it has similar modifications(somewhat). The problem is this: When the tranny shifts from 1st to 2nd, it does it very (I mean very) rough. It will continue to do this for about 5-10 min. It is much more pronounced when it is cold outside (below 50degrees). Also when it is cold, it won't shift into 4th for a long time (about 20min) The car has 155K miles on it...Original tranny and engine...What do you think guys? Time for a rebuild?
Old 11-02-2000, 09:25 PM

do you have a tranny cooler?

I know that 89-91 trannies are crap but I havent heard of 92-94's ******** out. Im going to put a tranny cooler on mine to prevent failure on my 185,000 mile tranny. i think coolers are like 60 bucks from jegs. something like that -block
Old 11-02-2000, 10:28 PM
STFU n00b!

a tranny cooler definitely isn't the problem here.. if anything, it'd make the problem worse, because his major problems are when the tranny is cold..

here's a dumb (maybe) question.. how long has it been since you changed the tranny fluid? that would be step #1.
when my tranny fluid was baked, it shifted like that constantly- it'd shift 1-2 so hard that it would sometimes chirp the tires.. not good unless it's done with a shift kit and clean tranny fluid..

after that, you may want to check your torque convertor..
but it sounds to me like your tranny is on it's last legs.. I's start saving for a rebuild if I were you.. sorry man.
Old 11-03-2000, 05:13 AM

Yeah...I replacd the transmission fluid about 1000 miles (2 months) ago. The problem improved just a little bit. And yes...depending on how much gas you give it, it will sometimes chirp the tires on the 1-2 shift....The torque converter may be the problem here then....I guess the rebuild will be the answer. Thanks guys
Old 11-03-2000, 12:54 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Whoooaa!! Wait on the rebuild! I have an '87 Oldsmobile(oh no! he said domestic!)that did exactly what you are talking about. My Max is a straight, so I can't speak from a Max point of view. But, I replaced filter and fluid on the Olds Cutless and it still did it. I checked the magnet in the bottom and it was clear of any metal shavings. Then, a guy from the junk yard a few houses down (pretty convieniant huh?) said it was the modulator (?). He said it is a peice that bolts on the side of the transmission and has a vacuum line running to it, this tells the tranny when to shift. I replaced this peice and adjusted it and it works fine now! Try the modulator, I got one from Auto Zone, but this is an Olds we're talking about so that's okay. So try Nissan or try to adjust the one on your car, it should have a rubber plug in the top that can be popped off easily and a small screw top looking thing inside. I forget which way to turn it to adjust it, but do try this.
Old 11-03-2000, 06:42 PM

Thanks a lot. I appreciate it...One other thing that it could be is one of the servos inside the tranny....If that was the case, then it would need a rebuild. I'll take a look at the modulator (or have nissan look at it), time allowing. Thanks for the recommendation!
Old 11-03-2000, 07:09 PM

You have a rear strut tower brace? What the? Any pics?
Old 11-03-2000, 07:59 PM

Don't have picts...but I can take some and have them in a few days...i dont have a digital camera...i take them regulary and then just scan them into my computer....but yes, i do have a rear strur tower brace. I was shown how to by a local (maybe national) import store called A.S.P Performance here in West Omaha. They actually installed it for me but I have no idea where they got it from...it sits above the rear shock towers, which is one of the reasons why i don't have a back seat anymore because it wouldn't have room to put the seat back...oh well, a 40 lb weight savings! The handling difference is incredible compared to not having one. I will call them tomorrow morning and find out that brand/where to get it, ok? It ran me about $150 plus about $75 to install it.