3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

wrong VTC wire

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 09:08 AM

wrong VTC wire

has anyone ever ground the wrong VTC wire and had the battery light and brake light turn on???????? i did it by mistake so i checked the alternator to make sure it was putting out and it is how in god's name do i make the lights turn back off?
Old 02-09-2008, 01:29 PM
kthxbye2u

Reset the car
Disconnect the battery for 30 minutes?
Old 02-09-2008, 01:48 PM

hmmmmmmm

ill try anything at this point its driving me nuts
Old 02-09-2008, 02:17 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

you blew a fuse. Check all your fuses and replace the ones burned out. When I got my last car I found out something wasnt working after I installed the new motor (cant remember but think it was the power valve). After much searching I found out that the VTC and a couple of other things (including whatever wasnt working...again I think the PV) are on the same power wire. I checked the fuses and replaced one that was burned out (I think it was eng. cont.) and all was fine again.

My guess is the guy I got the car from grounded the power wire (which is protected by that fuse) instead of the signal wire like you did.
Old 02-09-2008, 03:25 PM

well

i diconnected the battery for 45 min nothing still on i did notice the idle is low.i did check to see what kind of out put the alternator was giving me and it is as follows battery with nothing on 12.5 car running nothing on 14.6 which in all my teachings with ford is good and i do believe it is a general across the board rule of thumb for every 12v car or truck.what possible fuse might be out like a fusible link???? i have looked at all that i thought might have something to do with it if anyone knows which fuse michael is talking about let me know. thanks for the responce mike and everyone else.
Old 02-09-2008, 03:53 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Check all your fuses in the black fuse boxes under the hood(you have two boxes with fuses,one beside the battery,the other is attached to the d-side fender well. Look inside the little window on top of the big fuses, if the metel part inside the window is burned,or broken, replace it.

Fuses----> http://www.courtesyparts.com/relays-...ays-fuses.html
Old 02-09-2008, 04:13 PM

ok

ill look at them once again tomorrow morning i only saw one of the fusible links that was a blue 30 amp that didnt look blown but the wire going across was black not copper like the rest maybe thats the one. who knows ill look tomorrow. thanks again guys
Old 02-09-2008, 05:14 PM
mod or sell?

if your bat and brake light are on you probably blew a fusible link.
find the wiring diagram for the alternator circuit, and find it's fusible link.
since the batt and brake light are on your alternator is not charging.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:03 PM
HR Swap Pioneer

HAHAHAHAHAHAH

when i got my VE5 i done that like the 1st week i had it, and like 6 months later i changed the fuze and was like holey ****, i love this quiet car now. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ya its engine control fuze!!! 10 or 15 amp
Old 02-09-2008, 08:25 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by gerryv
i diconnected the battery for 45 min nothing still on i did notice the idle is low.i did check to see what kind of out put the alternator was giving me and it is as follows battery with nothing on 12.5 car running nothing on 14.6 which in all my teachings with ford is good and i do believe it is a general across the board rule of thumb for every 12v car or truck.what possible fuse might be out like a fusible link???? i have looked at all that i thought might have something to do with it if anyone knows which fuse michael is talking about let me know. thanks for the responce mike and everyone else.
its not a fusible link its just a regular fuse. Look at your wiring diagram in the FSM (how I traced it down) and it will give you the exact place the fuse is. You should be able to find the FSM for download somewhere. It was at one time or another.

As SurraTT said (and me as well though I wasnt 100% sure when I typed it) its the eng cont fuse. Look at the fuses to the left of the drivers left knee and you will see it. IF you cant read the label (or if its missing) on the cover just pull one out at a time and you will eventually run across it.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:44 PM

ok

no problem will do it ferst thing in the am.so its the fuse panel in the car not problem the label is there ill check the fuse good deal ill keep you posted.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:39 PM

AHHHH THE END OF ANOTHER THREAD

I would like to thank everyone for there responce to my problem it was the (eng.cont.) fuse THANKS Mike for the insight.and so comes this thread to an end lol and the BIG FORD lived happily ever after lol