3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Heated Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 08:25 AM

Heated Mirrors

I have a 1992 GXE and it has the heated mirror option or whatever and the passenger side doesnt work but the driver side works just fine. Anyone know what is wrong.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:41 AM

well im not even close to an expert but is it possible that there is a break in the wire where the mirror meets the body? cause the wire would have to go through that door junction all of that movement could have caused a break? I know you probably don't want to but you could wire trace to see.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:25 AM
mod or sell?

you probably have a corroded connector at the mirror glass.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:27 AM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Have you physically checked to make sure the non working mirror actually IS heated? Perhaps that side was once hit and the mirror was replaced for a non heated mirror of the same color.

Remove door panel and check for two connectors coming from mirror, if so..proceed to troubleshooting.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:28 AM
mod or sell?

I wonder if I still have my heated mirrors in the garage.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
Have you physically checked to make sure the non working mirror actually IS heated? Perhaps that side was once hit and the mirror was replaced for a non heated mirror of the same color.

Remove door panel and check for two connectors coming from mirror, if so..proceed to troubleshooting.
I have popped off the mirror to look at the connectors in the back... is there a certain way those 2 connectors have to go in. I havent looked behind the door though ill do that this week.
Old 02-14-2008, 02:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by maxima_man1992
I have popped off the mirror to look at the connectors in the back... is there a certain way those 2 connectors have to go in. I havent looked behind the door though ill do that this week.
One is for the motor, the other is for the heater. They are not interchangeable so you cant get them wrong... like every harness on the car.

I'm not sure if there is an individual fuse for each heater, but that may be worth a check. Another test you can do is to take the working mirror and connect it on the non-working side, this will eliminate either the wiring or the other mirror.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:10 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by mikekantor
One is for the motor, the other is for the heater. They are not interchangeable so you cant get them wrong... like every harness on the car.

I'm not sure if there is an individual fuse for each heater, but that may be worth a check. Another test you can do is to take the working mirror and connect it on the non-working side, this will eliminate either the wiring or the other mirror.
I think he is referring to the connectors on the glass not the ones in the door
Old 02-15-2008, 04:34 AM

Heated mirrors....they arent just for fog
you all ever try them on when its raining?
i leave em on when it rains and after a lil while the
mirror stays completly dry = safety+convinience
and my 91 didnt have it but i swapped in two mirrors and the switch
thankfully all the plugs are there on 91'se at least.
maximofo's

Last edited by maximagician; 02-15-2008 at 04:38 AM.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:14 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by maximagician
maximofo's
or snow
Old 02-15-2008, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by maximagician
maximofo's
I know thats why i want both of mine to work not just the driver side.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:20 PM

I would like heated mirrors. It seems this time of eyar we have a lot of misty weather and you can't see anything with the mirrors all beaded up. Mine is prewired for fogs so how can I tell if I am prewired for heated mirrors. Also Could I just replace the glass in the mirror or do I need the whole assembly?
Old 02-15-2008, 01:45 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by gapboi210
I would like heated mirrors. It seems this time of eyar we have a lot of misty weather and you can't see anything with the mirrors all beaded up. Mine is prewired for fogs so how can I tell if I am prewired for heated mirrors. Also Could I just replace the glass in the mirror or do I need the whole assembly?
92 -94 had heated mirrors. 90 had no such option so you WILL need to run wires and switches for it.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:50 PM

mine have never worked, i never even wanted to bother finding out why
now i read about completely dry mirrors during rain (i dont even have problems during rain) but now im ready to tear my door apart cause i want mine to work.. THANKS lol
Old 02-15-2008, 04:23 PM

OOOOHHHHHH CCOOOOOOLLLLLL. i have heated mirrors alos. didnt even know it till today. but the dont work. well i guess they dont cause my litle light isnt coming on.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
92 -94 had heated mirrors. 90 had no such option so you WILL need to run wires and switches for it.
WRONG. my girlfriends is an 89 and has been converted to heated mirrors. if 89 had it I'm sure 90 should.

All wiring is there, just get the mirrors and switch from junk yard. Note, this might be similar to my power seats issue where the car didnt have the wiring, but from all the JY 89-91s I've seen they were all prewired.

Just cause the light doesnt go on, doesnt mean they dont work. Oh and its orange if I remember correctly

Last edited by ColombianMax; 02-15-2008 at 04:32 PM.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:44 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

WRONG. my girlfriends is an 89 and has been converted to heated mirrors. if 89 had it I'm sure 90 should.

All wiring is there, just get the mirrors and switch from junk yard. Note, this might be similar to my power seats issue where the car didnt have the wiring, but from all the JY 89-91s I've seen they were all prewired.

Just cause the light doesnt go on, doesnt mean they dont work. Oh and its orange if I remember correctly
or similar to how my car is semi-prewired for fogs. has the plugs by the headlight... missing the harness for the switch, tho. no clue why it has one but not the other.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by capedcadaver
or similar to how my car is semi-prewired for fogs. has the plugs by the headlight... missing the harness for the switch, tho. no clue why it has one but not the other.
ha sucks to be you. been there in that situation but with the power leather. Luckily seats come with their own buttons/switch on em
Old 02-15-2008, 04:50 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

ha sucks to be you. been there in that situation but with the power leather. Luckily seats come with their own buttons/switch on em
meh i'm more concerned with this damned spoiler. i marked where to drill the holes, just got to get a drill out tomorrow and make a few holes. and then dremel the other hole out so it is big enough for the harness grommet thing to go through. though heated mirrors are tempting.... i just don't know if it's worth it for how much cold weather we don't get.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:55 PM

meh i'm more concerned with this damned spoiler. i marked where to drill the holes, just got to get a drill out tomorrow and make a few holes. and then dremel the other hole out so it is big enough for the harness grommet thing to go through. though heated mirrors are tempting.... i just don't know if it's worth it for how much cold weather we don't get.
Yea if you guys had a drought this past summer...you def dont need heated mirrors. I do have to say, its nice to say "yea well I got power heated mirrors do you?" to the newer cars including 4th gens people always go like "wow they had power heated back mirror then?"
Old 02-15-2008, 05:06 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Yea if you guys had a drought this past summer...you def dont need heated mirrors. I do have to say, its nice to say "yea well I got power heated mirrors do you?" to the newer cars including 4th gens people always go like "wow they had power heated back mirror then?"
Drought this past summer. Bahahaha you're funny. We had a drought alright. As of today we are in stage-2 water restrictions. The majority of area car washes are shut down. NO landscaping permits, NO irrigation permits, NO at-home car washing, even some restaurants have stopped giving water. Buy a soda, or be thirsty.
http://s164.photobucket.com/albums/u...ke%2012-24-07/

so no, heated mirrors would do me NO good this year. Good thing it's been dry. I have defective wipers. This is CapedCadaver, urging you not to travel to Tijuana... er... purchase Bosch MicroEdge wipers.

speaking of wipers don't some cars have little dinky wipers for the mirrors?
Old 02-15-2008, 05:14 PM

Drought this past summer. Bahahaha you're funny. We had a drought alright. As of today we are in stage-2 water restrictions. The majority of area car washes are shut down. NO landscaping permits, NO irrigation permits, NO at-home car washing, even some restaurants have stopped giving water. Buy a soda, or be thirsty.
http://s164.photobucket.com/albums/u...ke%2012-24-07/

so no, heated mirrors would do me NO good this year. Good thing it's been dry. I have defective wipers. This is CapedCadaver, urging you not to travel to Tijuana... er... purchase Bosch MicroEdge wipers.

speaking of wipers don't some cars have little dinky wipers for the mirrors?
After fixin my shorts and got wipers working, I went and got myself some $20 Trico wipers comparable to the Bosch Icon which have that "aerodynamic" shape, meh $7 wipers work just as fine.

Alright, I'm done with off topic. So has anyone with a pre 1991 checked if they're wired for heated?
Old 02-15-2008, 08:00 PM

john, this is OT but didnt the 4th gens have the 89-91 Maxima mirror switch? Why the backtrack in luxury?
Old 02-15-2008, 08:30 PM

as stupid this may sound, i never thought to use my mirrors in the rain..just snow.
man some of the guys at my job are impressed that my car has heated mirrors.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:37 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

After fixin my shorts and got wipers working, I went and got myself some $20 Trico wipers comparable to the Bosch Icon which have that "aerodynamic" shape, meh $7 wipers work just as fine.

Alright, I'm done with off topic. So has anyone with a pre 1991 checked if they're wired for heated?
if you can take a pic of a panel-less door and point out the wiring for it, i can look for it. should be a blue harness w/ Brown and white/blue-stripe wires

EDITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!
hot damn. it IS prewired. 90GXE door. http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u...g?t=1203136675
lemme go check the switch harness..

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 02-15-2008 at 08:45 PM.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:11 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

if you can take a pic of a panel-less door and point out the wiring for it, i can look for it. should be a blue harness w/ Brown and white/blue-stripe wires

hot damn. it IS prewired. 90GXE door. http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u...g?t=1203136675
old pic... from september 06 but it proves the point. there IS a brown wire in the mirror switch harness, meaning all the necessary wiring is in place. just need a compatible switch, and a compatible mirror.
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u...g?t=1203138691
Old 02-15-2008, 09:56 PM

Yea I told all the options mine had to my friend and all he says is "They had that back in 1992???"
Old 02-15-2008, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by 1992maximase30
as stupid this may sound, i never thought to use my mirrors in the rain..just snow.
man some of the guys at my job are impressed that my car has heated mirrors.
Lol, stillman...
some of the guys at your work are ..
If the wiring was there why didnt nissan offer it as at least an option? I mean why would they put the wiring there?
Old 02-16-2008, 10:01 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by 92gxe/cg2
Lol, stillman...
some of the guys at your work are ..
If the wiring was there why didnt nissan offer it as at least an option? I mean why would they put the wiring there?
problems designing the actual heating element? maybe they knew it was coming (they know what's coming YEARS in advance. I saw a 1981 sketch of a "3rd gen maxima" 'cept it was a 2-door, but it was otherwise identical to our cars. even had the thin trim at the top of the taillights tapering to slightly thicker across the top of the centerpiece.

otherwise, it's for production costs. don't need separate assembly lines to put the wiring in. they just have guys that "put the wiring in" regardless of what options the car is to have. my Rustima has plugs for a Power/Comfort switch... just taped up though. Model differentiation is done far later in the production process, when the car actually assumes an identity. hence why the 5spd swap is possible at all. because the clutch bracket is present in all cars.. just covered in a/t models.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:07 PM
mod or sell?

not proof
these cars are all at least 14 years old, many have been in accidents with numerous parts changed along the way.
check the sales literature from 90, and you will see that was not an option in the max at all on any trim level in the US.

Sadly I'm still trying to find Alpine mirrors for my BC with no luck
Old 02-17-2008, 12:27 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

not proof
these cars are all at least 14 years old, many have been in accidents with numerous parts changed along the way.
check the sales literature from 90, and you will see that was not an option in the max at all on any trim level in the US.

i replaced my neighbor's 89GXE's front driver window regulator today. heated mirror harness was present and wired as per FSM wire colors. Plus my 89SE parts car had the harness, as this is where the regulator came from for her car. Plus the pic of my 90GXE shows what appears to be that harness. That's 3 pre-92 cars all with the same harness.

Proof enough for me.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:31 AM
Alex_V

Both of my 90se's have been prewired for power seats and heated mirrors. And I'm sure my 89 se had at least the heated mirrors prewired.

Id consider it strange that a 3rd gen WOULDN'T be wired for power seats and/or heated mirrors (or fogs etc etc)

~Alex

Old 02-17-2008, 12:35 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Alex_V
Both of my 90se's have been prewired for power seats and heated mirrors. And I'm sure my 89 se had at least the heated mirrors prewired.

Id consider it strange that a 3rd gen WOULDN'T be wired for power seats and/or heated mirrors (or fogs etc etc)

~Alex
my guess is that they knew it was coming. they know what the 7th gen was going to look like last year. they knew what the next-gen Mustang was going to look like last year as well. they knew that they were going to drop the manual tranny on the Sebring for 05, probably by first quarter 04. We already know that 08 is the last year for the Hyundai Tiburon, and the Toyota Solara. They knew the heated mirrors were going on the books for 92 and that they were probably going to sell it as a post-purchase option for previous cars, once the parts were sourced into a mass production scheme. So just like how the dealer will go back and do dealer installed options on recent year cars (like you can probably get a spoiler or heated seats put onto your 05 altima by the dealership even though the generation is over), they did it as a way to make more money in the future. For anyone who wanted it installed after the fact.
Old 02-17-2008, 03:35 PM

oops meant to say that i am not prewired for fogs so I have my doubts about being prewired for heated mirrors.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:13 PM

not proof

we JUST put heated mirrors on my dads 90 maxima, and IT ALREADY had the wires ran for it, it may not have been an option but regardless the wires were there, all we had to do was plug them up and screw the mirrors on
Old 02-17-2008, 04:27 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by gapboi210
oops meant to say that i am not prewired for fogs so I have my doubts about being prewired for heated mirrors.
if the plug going into your mirror adjustment switch has a brown wire in the harness, you are prewired.
Old 02-17-2008, 06:16 PM

now that i'm reading this i guess my bose wiring is'nt so weird after all. internetautomar that sounds like a very logical reason.
over seas 3rd gen had all of the features and to save money they just left it there.

pretty intresting
Old 02-17-2008, 08:50 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

now that i'm reading this i guess my bose wiring is'nt so weird after all. internetautomar that sounds like a very logical reason.
over seas 3rd gen had all of the features and to save money they just left it there.

pretty intresting
what post are you quoting? I didn't remember reading anything about overseas stuff in here...
Old 02-17-2008, 09:45 PM

if the plug going into your mirror adjustment switch has a brown wire in the harness, you are prewired.
Just so happens my donor car was equipped with heated mirrors and after reading this....I thought...."that would be a cool mod"....so I pull my door panel off my 90SE and sure enough it is prewired for heated mirrors. I pulled the mirrors from my donor car and the switch from the dash and within 20 minutes, I had heated mirrors on my 90SE.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:56 AM
mod or sell?

pretty intresting
that is actually a very good point that I hadn't considered.

Wiking- do you have heated mirrors?

Quick Reply: Heated Mirrors