3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

New problem..help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 07:51 AM

New problem..help!

'92 GXE has a new problem. This past tuesday I was driving home from work and the car lost power and would not rev past ~1500 rpms, fluctuating between not revving past about 1K and 2K rpms. I let the car sit and idle as I had not choice, and it just went away and drove normal. The next day I drove the car about 50 miles and no problem. So I drove the car to work 2 days after the original mishap and the car is fine. Im on my way home yesterday and make an stop and when I start the car, same problem. Does not want to rev past 1000 rpms, stutters and is barely stayign alive. Eventually it just goes away. Did the same thing about 1 hour later. I did the diagnostic test and got no codes at all.

Anyone have any ideas where to start?
Old 06-06-2008, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by G3Karl
'... Does not want to rev past 1000 rpms, stutters and is barely stayign alive....
When in that state, disconnect MAF. Should now rev to 2000, idle maybe missing.

Has distr ground been checked already? See link below
Old 06-06-2008, 08:36 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Sounds like a MAF. Disconnect the harness, clean it with electrical cleaner and reconnect. If problem persists pick up a MAF from the junkyard. (New ones are really expensive.)
Old 06-06-2008, 10:17 AM

i was thinking the maf too. same problem when the maf went out on my corvette about 6 years ago. can i use any electrical cleaner on the maf connection? something from radio shack maybe?
Old 06-06-2008, 11:15 AM

Yeah any electrical cleaner should work (most people use crc though).
Old 06-06-2008, 11:19 AM

i was thinking the maf too. same problem when the maf went out on my corvette about 6 years ago. can i use any electrical cleaner on the maf connection? something from radio shack maybe?
Yes and also on MAF sensor element & resistor. ECU wants reset after that = batt of 30min. See p.9 on my CDomain link
Old 06-06-2008, 05:40 PM
mod or sell?

there is a MAF cleaner specifically available from CRC (which I can get).
I also happen to have a spare MAF in the garage still
Old 06-07-2008, 05:54 AM

i cleaned the electrical contact points at the harness. I did not clean inside the maf. Will keep everyone updated.

Thanks.
Old 06-07-2008, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
there is a MAF cleaner specifically available from CRC (which I can get).
I also happen to have a spare MAF in the garage still
how much for the spare maf?
Old 06-07-2008, 05:32 PM

cat could be clogged?
had it happen once, burned up the motor.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:04 PM
mod or sell?

how much for the spare maf?
open to offers
Old 06-07-2008, 08:48 PM

I have a question about the MAF on my 90 vg I still have the one from my 94 ve is it the same or does it allow more air flow? if so, can I swap them out and run the 94 MAF in my 90 to get more air flow?

Last edited by Setol One; 06-07-2008 at 08:50 PM.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:11 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by Setol One
I have a question about the MAF on my 90 vg I still have the one from my 94 ve is it the same or does it allow more air flow? if so, can I swap them out and run the 94 MAF in my 90 to get more air flow?
courtesy does not differentiate between them. meaning they are identical. the VE engine is more poweful from the extra valves and higher compression, but the external parts function the same way (and/or are the exact same part). even the manifolds are functionally the same and so is the ypipe, even though the parts ARE different, there's no real performance differences that i've ever heard of between the two.

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 06-07-2008 at 09:14 PM.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by capedcadaver
courtesy does not differentiate between them. meaning they are identical. the VE engine is more poweful from the extra valves and higher compression, but the external parts function the same way (and/or are the exact same part). even the manifolds are functionally the same and so is the ypipe, even though the parts ARE different, there's no real performance differences that i've ever heard of between the two.
Alright cool, so would it be better to use the one from the 94 just because it's a few years newer?

also the vlsd5spd swap. should I rebuild it or mod it somehow before I do it?
Old 06-07-2008, 09:29 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Alright cool, so would it be better to use the one from the 94 just because it's a few years newer?

also the vlsd5spd swap. should I rebuild it or mod it somehow before I do it?
meh, just keep the 94 MAF handy until your 90 MAF gives you trouble. otherwise it's a waste of a good MAF.

tranny question belongs somewhere else... kinda OT in this thread.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by capedcadaver
meh, just keep the 94 MAF handy until your 90 MAF gives you trouble. otherwise it's a waste of a good MAF.

tranny question belongs somewhere else... kinda OT in this thread.
I'm new to these things, never been on a forum before so i'm still getting the hang of the interaction I'll try and quit posting stupid ****... lol

my vg seems like it's going to stall at idle sometimes and runs relatively smooth in the morning when it's cold until it heats up.

Is this the MAF or the IACV?
Old 06-08-2008, 09:01 PM

just cleaning the contact kinda defeat the purpose.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:00 AM

cat could be clogged?
had it happen once, burned up the motor.
I'd hate to throw in a question in someone else's thread but that comment about the cat reminded me about something. I was talking to a guy and I told him how old my max was (she's a 93) and he was telling me that in some places when a car reaches a certain age it doesn't have to pass emmissions anymore, which meant that I could just pull the cat off of my max, and pass inspection I'm guessing? Is this true, because if it would free some horsepower and get some extra mpg, I'll definitely do it...especially since I'm about to go to college this fall...might as well scrap every buck I can...
Old 06-10-2008, 08:46 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by DBooker_93GXE
I'd hate to throw in a question in someone else's thread but that comment about the cat reminded me about something. I was talking to a guy and I told him how old my max was (she's a 93) and he was telling me that in some places when a car reaches a certain age it doesn't have to pass emmissions anymore, which meant that I could just pull the cat off of my max, and pass inspection I'm guessing? Is this true, because if it would free some horsepower and get some extra mpg, I'll definitely do it...especially since I'm about to go to college this fall...might as well scrap every buck I can...
regardless of emissions requirements it's still legal and uninspectable to have a gutted or removed cat. some places will stick a mirror up above the cat to see if there are holes in the top.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:20 AM

'92 GXE has a new problem. This past tuesday I was driving home from work and the car lost power and would not rev past ~1500 rpms, fluctuating between not revving past about 1K and 2K rpms. I let the car sit and idle as I had not choice, and it just went away and drove normal. The next day I drove the car about 50 miles and no problem. So I drove the car to work 2 days after the original mishap and the car is fine. Im on my way home yesterday and make an stop and when I start the car, same problem. Does not want to rev past 1000 rpms, stutters and is barely stayign alive. Eventually it just goes away. Did the same thing about 1 hour later. I did the diagnostic test and got no codes at all.

Anyone have any ideas where to start?

i had this problem, it was intermitent... sometimes i would go to accelerate and between 1-2k rpms car had no power. i would have to slam the gas pedal down to get up, and the second it got to 1-2k again and tryin to cruise it would do it again.

I for sure thought it was the MAF. turned out it was corroded wiring on my TPS.

i got no codes at all