3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Keep VE Parts car? on Not?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 05:55 PM
Taking my Maxima to the Max!

Keep VE Parts car? on Not?

Hi Guys, (Title should read "... or Not?")

I have a current dilemma. As you know I have an '89 Silver Auto GXE that I have lots of sentimental attachment to. I am currently in the process of fixing everything that's broken on it, like CV axles, rear main seal, power steering pump, e-Brake cable, struts, etc. Plus, I'm taking the opportunity to add some mods, like Konis, Eibachs, poly mounts, and possibly some parts from my VE auto parts car (SE FSB, Blehmco RSTB, rear Disc conversion..).

My Question is should I try to keep the SE parts car and/or some of its parts, like the engine and tranny. I got it for $400 to possibly fix up and resell, but although I knew it had a rebuilt title I didn't see the extent of the damage until I had it home. Basically all the corner panels/fenders have been replaced. It is welded back together along the middle of the spare tire well along the passenger rear corner. The paint is chipping and cracking on the hood which is misaligned, and I can't tell if it even drives straight because the suspension is so messed up. I am in the process of taking out the SE struts and replacing them with my GXE stockers (which aren't too worn out yet. I'll use the SE strut bodies to put my Koni inserts in for the GXE) so that at least it will drive a little smoothly. The Blehmco RSTB was installed on it to give the rear some rigidity after it was welded back together. The only real reason to keep it, I was thinking, was to swap the VE engine and VLSD tranny and axles onto my GXE at some later date. That way, if my GXE auto tranny goes out I will have a better replacement (VE swap), plus all the wiring and placement to refer to.

The issue with the VE engine and tranny is that they have 173K miles on them, although they seem to run well (besides the VTC clack!) when they are warmed up. There is some trouble when it first starts, but it clears up in a minute or two.

My GXE currently has only about 89k on it with no visible signs of wearing out yet. I've thought about going turbo with the VG and possibly modding the VG auto tranny with a performance VB and HS TQ Converter. I'm not sure if that would make it last much longer, at least with a turbo. Otherwise, I was thinking to do the VE5spd swap which would be fun. Unfortunately there are none currently available locally. So, I already have the VE engine w/ vlsd tranny (=strong+grip) and, since I'm moving to a gated community (=strict) to a house w/ no garage or carport, should I make an extra effort to hold on to the VE parts car so I can use the drivetrain later? Or should I try to sell the car to some 'Shmo for at least what I spent? Or should I take out the VE engine, tranny, axles, and wiring harness and store them for later use and junk the car/ part out the rest of it? What do you all think?

Oh, and I have about 2 weeks to move/ find a place to store it (if keeping).

Thanks,
Mrkanda "Mark" Fitch
Old 07-17-2008, 06:00 PM
mod or sell?

swapping a vE into your 89 is a bit of work, remember that the harnesses change from 91 to 92 so it requires some rewiring to make everything on the car work correctly.
my first thought was to hang on to all the mechanical and electrical bits needed for the swap, but after considering the above I realized that it isn't practical. Just keep the parts for the tranny swap and that's all for now.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:09 PM
Banned

I'd keep the parts car at least till you get ready to do the tranny swap.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:27 PM
Taking my Maxima to the Max!

Ya, I didn't really know how compatible it would be. The problem with keeping the tranny is that it is a VE auto tranny and won't fit on my VG. I'll have to source a VE 5spd somewhere else. Anyway, I'll probably just swap the parts I want off the VE onto the VG and vice versa, and then probably sell it for as much as someone's willing to pay. Then later, I'll find a good VE5 to swap or switch to, or just get a new car. Oh Well.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 07-19-2008, 07:57 PM
mod or sell?

it's a vE auto?
don't keep anything then.