3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Time to say goodbye to the 93 maxima?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 11:25 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Time to say goodbye to the 93 maxima?

I have a 93 maxima gxe with about 115,000 miles on it and have been driving for 6 years. It is a great car and I absolutely love it. But it is dead on the high way last Saturday. After a horrible sound from the font, the car is stuck on the road with the front wheels freezed. It is not movable even put on neutral. Very likely it's the auto transmission.

I have done a lot work on it and just replaced 3 new injectors a month ago. Is it time to let it go or to revive it?
Old 07-28-2008, 11:28 AM
Banned

You are almost certainly right about the tranny. Good excuse to do the VE 5 speed swap. Much more reliable and gets more power to the wheels.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:45 AM

I did some search and research but still don't know where to start. What parts are needed and where to find them? How difficult is the job? How much is the cost?
Old 07-28-2008, 12:35 PM
Banned

All information related to the swap can be found here http://forums.maxima.org/3rd-generat...ap-sticky.html

I haven't done it myself but when I'm in your shoes this is likely the route I'll take.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:08 PM

I am pretty much in the same boat yao...my '93 just started dumping problems on me. Interior and exterior are still in good shape...but mechanically... I am starting to think I may just junk mine...that a bad idea? You guys have any opinions on these things?
Old 07-28-2008, 01:14 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by cbonai
I am pretty much in the same boat yao...my '93 just started dumping problems on me. Interior and exterior are still in good shape...but mechanically... I am starting to think I may just junk mine...that a bad idea? You guys have any opinions on these things?
well what all is wrong with it?
Old 07-28-2008, 01:26 PM

Clutch needs replacing, replaced part of the exhaust to kill a leak, only to find another, back breaks shot, VE engine tapping like crazy, runs rough (likely injectors), back breaks need replacing...the list seems to grow every time I get in the car. I haven't been driving it regularly, and it seems to be rotting out from under me.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:27 PM

Mechanically, anyways...

Is a shame 'cause the car has been a trooper for so long. Would hate to junk her, but can't see dumping money into her, and isn't much interest in parts cars these days... At least on Craig's List, anyways...
Old 07-28-2008, 01:33 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Clutch needs replacing, replaced part of the exhaust to kill a leak, only to find another, back breaks shot, VE engine tapping like crazy, runs rough (likely injectors), back breaks need replacing...the list seems to grow every time I get in the car. I haven't been driving it regularly, and it seems to be rotting out from under me.
back brakes $100
injectors about $100 each
tapping VE prolly just needs VTCs grounded for now
back brakes still $100 just like they were the first time
Old 07-28-2008, 01:39 PM

Gah...back breaks! Still...we are talking clutch, exhaust in addition to breaks...VTCs can tap till the cows come home I suppose...we are talking 1g or so. To fix a car with 200+k miles that I never drive...just is not money I would prefer to spend... Now...if I were to make it into a track car...
Old 07-28-2008, 01:41 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Gah...back breaks! Still...we are talking clutch, exhaust in addition to breaks...VTCs can tap till the cows come home I suppose...we are talking 1g or so. To fix a car with 200+k miles that I never drive...just is not money I would prefer to spend... Now...if I were to make it into a track car...
exhaust isn't as time-sensitive unless it's too loud. clutch can be done for $200. if you never drive it then sell it to one of these .orgers that has a gxe in the rust belt and would rather have a VE5. there's a good bit of demand for VE5s here... i'm sure someone would like to have it. I would if i weren't arleady loaded down with 3rd gens. tho a VE engine swap would be nice.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:41 PM

Bahston
Old 07-28-2008, 01:46 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Bahston
that's hilarious that you actually read that post in the 4 seconds when it actually still said "hell, where are you" before i edited it haha. if you edit within 1 minute it won't say you edited.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:49 PM

Heh...will post up on the classifieds page, see if any interest is garnered...would much prefer to see the car go to a fanatic. And yeah...that is funny...makes me look like I got Boston tourette's! ;D
Old 07-29-2008, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by yaofch
I did some search and research but still don't know where to start. What parts are needed and where to find them? How difficult is the job? How much is the cost?
if youve got a 93 gxe with 115k then you definetly are along ways away from the junkyard, you shouldv'e tried to take better care of the transmission (if u are the original owner) but for now its time for a 5 speed swap

id reccomend buying a parts 93VE it will be much easier then trying to find each individual part and most likely cheaper im working on the same project (unfortunatley delayed for emmissions) but it seems that if you can find a good parts car an upgraded clutch and flywheel and a new ecu you should be able to do it for less than 2grand including the car then you take the car and part it out depending on the condition you may be able to make 1500 back on it

so if u do it right get a great deal on a parts car and know how to chop the car up and sell it and you dont want the upgraded clutch and flywheel ($600) then its possible to make a profit on this project

but if u want to do it quick&stock some say they have done it for about $250-$500

heres a link to my project but id definetly memorize the 5-spd swap sticky
Engine rebuild and transmission replacement
Old 07-29-2008, 08:21 PM

Here are some good news: in desperate need of a car, just bought a new 08 Maxima SE with 23K + tax. With a reliable car in hand, maybe I can think about on the swap.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:10 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

Here are some good news: in desperate need of a car, just bought a new 08 Maxima SE with 23K + tax. With a reliable car in hand, maybe I can think about on the swap.
Hey the 2009 is nicer

What state are you in? I have 2 transmissions sitting in my garage that I need to get rid of and will let go cheap, one is an automatic purchased 2 years ago from another org member but never used it as I got a rebuilt one. The second one is a VG 5speed transmission that comes with most parts for a 5 speed conversion not including the pedals and both axles. If interested and depending where you are I'm willing to take a small drive
Old 07-30-2008, 12:26 PM

I am in Miami.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:25 PM

gotta love FL I might be driving there before summers over..
Old 07-30-2008, 03:37 PM
I can has?

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
gotta love FL I might be driving there before summers over..
LMK If you come down 95, I'm about 2 miles from an exit. Ugh, it's been raining nearly every single day here for the past month or so... starting to get annoying. The sun has decided to come out for a little while this evening though.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Pearl93VE
LMK If you come down 95, I'm about 2 miles from an exit. Ugh, it's been raining nearly every single day here for the past month or so... starting to get annoying. The sun has decided to come out for a little while this evening though.
I'll take the east coast down there...pick up caped on my way there and have him follow me...then you can join teh bandwagon
Old 07-30-2008, 04:10 PM
Banned

I'm on the west coast, rains every day here too. It's getting on my nerves cause its slowing down progress on me reassembling my engine....more details coming in my thread.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:13 PM
I can has?

I'll take the east coast down there...pick up caped on my way there and have him follow me...then you can join teh bandwagon
Hah, sounds good. Hopefully I'll have my 5-spd done by then. As soon as I get my knock sensor from Brian (ordered today) I'm doing a nice little project on the top of my engine
Old 07-30-2008, 06:07 PM

I am in Miami.
and this is where i come in!!!

where in Miami are you?
Old 07-30-2008, 06:36 PM

Kendall, around Dadeland Mall.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:40 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by GRNMAXDMON
and this is where i come in!!!

where in Miami are you?
minimaxus anyone?
Old 07-30-2008, 07:18 PM
Banned

I'd sure love to join minimaxus XD I could probably come assuming my girlfriend is off work.

I live around the Tampa/Sarasota area.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:36 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by 3g94MaxGXE
I'd sure love to join minimaxus XD I could probably come assuming my girlfriend is off work.

I live around the Tampa/Sarasota area.
should it be 3rd gen exclusive? wonder if aaron would come... hmm
Old 07-30-2008, 07:42 PM
Banned

I'd prefer it that way hahaha. I mean okay I don't mind seeing 1997-1999 4th gens but every other Maxima to me either looks too luxurious (2000+) or too cheap (1995-1996).

Besides, as 3rd gen drivers I would expect that we know each other better than we know the rest of the org.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:17 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

I'd prefer it that way hahaha. I mean okay I don't mind seeing 1997-1999 4th gens but every other Maxima to me either looks too luxurious (2000+) or too cheap (1995-1996).

Besides, as 3rd gen drivers I would expect that we know each other better than we know the rest of the org.
hm. well i'll see who around here we can round up. i'm sure greeny would LOVE to take a vacation. amirite?
Old 07-30-2008, 08:52 PM
I can has?

Originally Posted by capedcadaver
hm. well i'll see who around here we can round up. i'm sure greeny would LOVE to take a vacation. amirite?
If his recent activity here signifies at all his work hours then I should hope so.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:02 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

If his recent inactivity here signifies at all his work hours then I should hope so.
free fix. yea i dunno he probably reads and just doesn't post. he posted in the geezer thread twice...
Old 07-30-2008, 09:03 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

don't you like how "i need to get rid of my maxima b/c the tranny is dying" turned into "well i have a spare tranny i might be able to bring to you" to "i may as well come pick up CapedCadaver on the way" to a mini-maxus???
Old 07-30-2008, 09:12 PM
Banned

I love it already. Gotta make some more money fast to make my Maxima the main attraction >_>
Old 07-31-2008, 02:26 PM

you're not that far from me. i live on 200 ST. down south if you take US-1. let me know if you need help or something for the 3rd gen.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:24 PM
Banned

Hopefully when this happens I can take advantage of all you guys do do slave labor on my Maxima. Dunno what I'd have you do but I need my Maxima looking good, driving strong and staying in one piece for a long time. I'm hoping I can keep it forever.

Opps did I say that out loud? Naw I'm not really that evil but hey, when free labor knocks on your door it's hard to refuse....maybe I should find some rear discs and a VE 5 speed before minimaxus XD
Old 07-31-2008, 06:29 PM

Hopefully when this happens I can take advantage of all you guys do do slave labor on my Maxima. Dunno what I'd have you do but I need my Maxima looking good, driving strong and staying in one piece for a long time. I'm hoping I can keep it forever.

Opps did I say that out loud? Naw I'm not really that evil but hey, when free labor knocks on your door it's hard to refuse....maybe I should find some rear discs and a VE 5 speed before minimaxus XD
nothing is free my friend . i do have air tools and big backyard
Old 07-31-2008, 06:38 PM
Banned

Aww bummer...air tools is something I could use though....I have done every single last bit of work on my car with a socket set that isn't organized and 2 buckets of miscellaneous tools. I could care less about air tools though. I don't mind turning a rachet and everything I'm doing needs nothing more than a good pair of vise grips.

Hmm maybe I should go buy an assload of duplicolor spray paints and bribe you guys to rig up some disks and the VE5 for some painted valve covers and brake calipers...naw I'd break so many hoses on you guy's cars that I'd have a mob after me.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:51 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

I could care less about air tools though.
maybe your current project doesnt need air tools, but some jobs can be cut in half just by using an air tool (impact wrench and air ratchet ftmfw!)
decide to do your struts/springs? air tools will cut the job down to less than 30 minutes for the front set, vs about an hour and a half (and save a case of beer for the drinkers out there... you know what I mean!)
Old 07-31-2008, 06:59 PM

Aww bummer...air tools is something I could use though....I have done every single last bit of work on my car with a socket set that isn't organized and 2 buckets of miscellaneous tools. I could care less about air tools though. I don't mind turning a rachet and everything I'm doing needs nothing more than a good pair of vise grips.

Hmm maybe I should go buy an assload of duplicolor spray paints and bribe you guys to rig up some disks and the VE5 for some painted valve covers and brake calipers...naw I'd break so many hoses on you guy's cars that I'd have a mob after me.
i did my engine swaps for both my 3rd gens, my moms 4th gen, my dad's mazda pickup and his old toyota corolla with a tool set and not air tools. i know how it is to work without air tools been there done that. now i have 2 compressors and just work with air tools whenever needed.

Quick Reply: Time to say goodbye to the 93 maxima?