3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Electrical Woes HELP!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 01:32 PM

Electrical Woes HELP!!!!!!!

Hi All i am having a weird problem. I have a VG30 Automatic transmission. I did the E36 headlight conversion about 3 weeks ago and all is fine with those. I was noticing my battery was dieing so what do i do, i get a new battery of course. I got a Optima Red top with 1000 CA. I saw on the forms that this was the best choice of battery for our car. Now i put in the new battery and when i turned on my car and lights i noticed my lights would dim. The headlights would dim and also the interior lights including the dashboard. But as soon as i put my foot on the gas the lights would brighten up again. Also when driving and parked at stop light the cigarette lighter goes out as well. So i brought it to Midas and it turned out i needed a new alternator. So i got them to put one in. Later that night i was driving and noticed my cigarette lighter went out and my phone plugged into it stopped charging. The lights were OK though. No dimming. But if the AC is on the car shakes. It feels as if the car has no power. I brought it back to Midas and they told me that the problem was from the headlights. They said they are taking up to much power. But i can't understand is even when they are off such as day driving i still have the issue. Now a lot of people have done this mod and i haven't heard of anyone having a problem like this. What do you guys think could be the problem. I am out of options here. Now a interesting note. When i had the almost dead battery in the car i never had these problems. They only showed up after the new battery. Thank you for reading this long post and ANY help or input would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 08-11-2008, 03:28 PM
White_Shadow

Originally Posted by projectviper255
So i brought it to Midas and...
Worst decision ever made my friend.

I have a wonderful story from midas, I'll be brief: I took my maxima for and oil change and they told me my car was running rough, they can service the cr by installing new plugs, new wires, distro cap and rotor, but they can't guarantee the problem will go away... for such a tiny amount of $800 yes it wasn't a typo, $800 well later I figure it out I had an oil leak but that's another story, of course I didn't take the "deal" service.

My guess is simple for your problem, however I'm not much experienced on electrical systems (right now I have an electrical problem that I can't fix)

They install a new alternator right? your sig show you have an audio system right? I bet they didn't use an OEM Nissan Alternator which I believe could output less Amps than the OEM, so your 1800w audio system and new lights are drawing too much power for everything to be stable, it's not that your Alternator was dying, is the need of an HO Alternator, I have a 1200w audio system and my ALT was barely making it.

I forgot the specs but one member once told me how many AMPs our alternator can take, well that's my guess.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:32 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by projectviper255
Hi All i am having a weird problem. I have a VG30 Automatic transmission. I did the E36 headlight conversion about 3 weeks ago and all is fine with those. I was noticing my battery was dieing so what do i do, i get a new battery of course. I got a Optima Red top with 1000 CA. I saw on the forms that this was the best choice of battery for our car. Now i put in the new battery and when i turned on my car and lights i noticed my lights would dim. The headlights would dim and also the interior lights including the dashboard. But as soon as i put my foot on the gas the lights would brighten up again. Also when driving and parked at stop light the cigarette lighter goes out as well. So i brought it to Midas and it turned out i needed a new alternator. So i got them to put one in. Later that night i was driving and noticed my cigarette lighter went out and my phone plugged into it stopped charging. The lights were OK though. No dimming. But if the AC is on the car shakes. It feels as if the car has no power. I brought it back to Midas and they told me that the problem was from the headlights. They said they are taking up to much power. But i can't understand is even when they are off such as day driving i still have the issue. Now a lot of people have done this mod and i haven't heard of anyone having a problem like this. What do you guys think could be the problem. I am out of options here. Now a interesting note. When i had the almost dead battery in the car i never had these problems. They only showed up after the new battery. Thank you for reading this long post and ANY help or input would be appreciated.
Thanks
my take is that you have a blown fuse, and a misfire.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:38 PM

Well, you had a 'dead' battery to begin with. How exactly was it determined that it was dead?
I'd say you're having problem with your current alternator- it doesn't seem to output high enough voltage at low rpm. Unfortunately it is hard to help you without doing some tests with a voltmeter. If you have access to one we might try to do this if not - find a car electric shop nearby and let them fix it. Friend of mine had much better experience with those compared to general mechanic let alone places like Midas.