3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Any led tail'ed 3rd gens?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
cool stuff Kzoosho

what size LEDs are those again? and can you take a shot of the backside of the board? when I do my LED tails i plan to pack them together a little tighter than that.. so i'm wonering how messy yours is.
They are true SuperFlux's Red Orange. I snapped a few shots for ya. I go for the least amount of leds. Im not a big fan of the crammed look but to each its own.
Dont mind my ashy hand lol

Old 11-09-2008, 03:14 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by kzoosho
They are true SuperFlux's Red Orange. I snapped a few shots for ya. I go for the least amount of leds. Im not a big fan of the crammed look but to each its own.
Dont mind my ashy hand lol

thanks that's not so messy. My setup is going to involve me keeping the diffuser that goes behind the main cover (this is on 89-91 GXE tails with a 89-91 SE outer cover) so it's gonna smooth out the light anyways, so you won't actually see individual circles to the extent you see them on yours... but i'm gonna cram them in there anyways (probably using 200 total) but the real mess i'm gonna make comes from the fact that mine is going to be more electrically complex... probably not gonna produce them for sale... if i did, it would only be like 4-5 sets a year and they'd be hella expensive.

yours is WAY more marketable than mine will be.
Old 11-09-2008, 03:22 PM

thanks that's not so messy. My setup is going to involve me keeping the diffuser that goes behind the main cover (this is on 89-91 GXE tails with a 89-91 SE outer cover) so it's gonna smooth out the light anyways, so you won't actually see individual circles to the extent you see them on yours... but i'm gonna cram them in there anyways (probably using 200 total) but the real mess i'm gonna make comes from the fact that mine is going to be more electrically complex... probably not gonna produce them for sale... if i did, it would only be like 4-5 sets a year and they'd be hella expensive.

yours is WAY more marketable than mine will be.
Well dehind the reflector imho defeats the whole purpose of doing leds. If you use the 92 up tails as i did it will deffuse them enough but also give you the individual look.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:23 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Well dehind the reflector imho defeats the whole purpose of doing leds. If you use the 92 up tails as i did it will deffuse them enough but also give you the individual look.
how does it 'defeat the purpose'? on LED'd cars that have totally un-diffused LEDs, the hotspots are SO damn annoying. but on 89-91 tails, the outer shell is totally smooth except for 'euro-spec' style pinstripes, and the reflector patch in the middle. so they would be TOTALLY undiffused without it. that's why i'm going to use more LEDs than you did, to make up for any output losses by diffusing the light.

for me the 'purpose' of LEDs is because you can customize it the way you want it, improve on the way the lighting was from the factory, use less power, never change bulbs, INSTANT-on/off, etc. there's that one cadillac with LED taillights, but they are totally diffused... and i love it.

Old 11-09-2008, 07:53 PM
Former Vendor

My setup is going to involve me keeping the diffuser that goes behind the main cover (this is on 89-91 GXE tails with a 89-91 SE outer cover) so it's gonna smooth out the light anyways, so you won't actually see individual circles to the extent you see them on yours... but i'm gonna cram them in there anyways (probably using 200 total)...
i wanted to do it this way when i started my 4g led project as well (with the exact cadillac in mind). it does not turn out how you think it would. you could probably pull it off with some custom diffuser mods but the oem's will break it up in an unexpected (and unattractive imo) way.

my first prototypes (4g):

basically as tight as you can get them (.1" clearance), but didn't turn out anything like i wanted once they were diffused. sorry no pics.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:21 PM

how does it 'defeat the purpose'? on LED'd cars that have totally un-diffused LEDs, the hotspots are SO damn annoying. but on 89-91 tails, the outer shell is totally smooth except for 'euro-spec' style pinstripes, and the reflector patch in the middle. so they would be TOTALLY undiffused without it. that's why i'm going to use more LEDs than you did, to make up for any output losses by diffusing the light.

for me the 'purpose' of LEDs is because you can customize it the way you want it, improve on the way the lighting was from the factory, use less power, never change bulbs, INSTANT-on/off, etc. there's that one cadillac with LED taillights, but they are totally diffused... and i love it.

As Mike stated behind our defusers they will not act the way the Caddy ones will. The Caddy was designed with using and defusing the led in mind. Our defuser's were not. You will find out that it wont turn out the way you want.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:05 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

As Mike stated behind our defusers they will not act the way the Caddy ones will. The Caddy was designed with using and defusing the led in mind. Our defuser's were not. You will find out that it wont turn out the way you want.
hmm.. i'll grab my friend's LED flashlight and see what types of diffuser-like materials i can get my hands on, to see what will end up working best.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:58 AM
Former Vendor

what you might want to try is just some frosted clear plastic. i haven't seen the insides of a cadillac tail but i am willing to bet it's either a frosted or symmetrical diffuser. the oem (in the 4g anyway) breaks it up into uneven lines.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:23 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

Some people prefer pulse width modulation but i use resistors. They are easier to work with to me and i havent had problems with them.
I have to agree with you, that when I first started MY project (seems like a billion years ago), I toyed with the notion of PWM. But even with my 12v background, it was just too much of a hassle. However, what I did was pretty much what you did, but I 'upped' the ante, somewhat. While I wasn't totally sold on cramming 200+ LEDs on a circuit board and calling it good, I just used two different rows of LEDs - one row for the regular tail/running lights, and the other row strictly for the brake lights. Then, I just put them in alternating rows and kinda-sorta kept the rows closer together. That way, the gap was a lot less noticable with just the tail lights on.

I do like the fact that you used the the SuperFlux LEDs though, kzoosho, as I just used some 20 degree LEDs that I got from Besthongkong.com.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:08 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by BLACKonBLACK98
what you might want to try is just some frosted clear plastic. i haven't seen the insides of a cadillac tail but i am willing to bet it's either a frosted or symmetrical diffuser. the oem (in the 4g anyway) breaks it up into uneven lines.
yea, that was another consideration.

the early 3g tails have a fresnel etching on the trunk side, and those raised 'bubbles' on the outside-side of the diffuser. i know the diffuser etching on the 4g tails is tighter than the 3g one. and on the cadillac i'm pretty sure it is the pointy spiky stuff like you find if you break open one of those reflectors that goes in the spokes of a bicycle wheel.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:16 AM

Old 11-10-2008, 07:41 PM
Fox Body FTW

very nice

i'll be ordering a pair
Old 11-10-2008, 07:46 PM

I'm assuming you just mail out the boards with the leds already put in them?
Old 11-10-2008, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Gunther
I'm assuming you just mail out the boards with the leds already put in them?
I will probably do what i have been doing for the 4th gen folks. Have you send me the tails and ill send you leds installed. I could ship boards but they may or may not fit. These arent printed boards. This is all hand fabbed. I would love to get them done like kevlo does but then the cost would reflect that i did. As it sits i am able to do the same 3 row setup as Kev for a hundred less installed. SO i am trying to keep that going.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:59 AM

kool, how about Canadians? r u lookin forward to ship to Canada?
Old 11-11-2008, 07:03 AM

I will ship to canada. It cost a lil more but i only charge actual shipping.

We all know that center is diff from 89-91 and well this is a 91 . I am waiting for the center section to put a couple leds in it.

Last edited by kzoosho; 11-11-2008 at 08:43 AM.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:17 AM
Please. Call me John. I insist

I VANT THE LIGHTS
Old 11-11-2008, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
I VANT THE LIGHTS
I already did your 4th gen man jeeez lol.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:35 PM
1993 SE

I need a price and Paypal address now MR.!
Ps - Could you take a pic of the back?

Last edited by swowlinc; 11-11-2008 at 02:38 PM.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by swowlinc
Here I'll give ya mine, Mr_Alvarez@msn.com and just send me 475 for being so demanding
Old 11-11-2008, 04:21 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

wait so... on your 91GXE do you still have the 89-91 style tails laying around too?
Old 11-11-2008, 04:31 PM

We all know that center is diff from 89-91 and well this is a 91 . I am waiting for the center section to put a couple leds in it.
i want them!!! how much???
Old 11-11-2008, 04:39 PM

considering many people want them...these are gonna have to go on ebay and those that Do want them can fight for them there
Old 11-11-2008, 05:25 PM

pic snip
Hey, that was going to be my idea. (I thought I was original)

Anyways, I would like to see your creation
Old 11-11-2008, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by GRNMAXDMON
i want them!!! how much???
The price is still in the air. To be honest the ones i have made i was going to ask close to 300 but they are plug and play.

wait so... on your 91GXE do you still have the 89-91 style tails laying around too?

Yea i have 91 tails laying here i need to open up and play with
300 and pm me for paypal addy . Now the back are you talkin the back of the housing?
Old 11-12-2008, 02:09 AM

dude they look sick!
Old 11-12-2008, 04:05 AM
1993 SE

Yes, the back of the tail light. $300 is a do-able price for a set of these but you should do a group deal for 10 or more ppl. Also Im curious to see the turn signals light up if u can.

The price is still in the air. To be honest the ones i have made i was going to ask close to 300 but they are plug and play.

300 and pm me for paypal addy . Now the back are you talkin the back of the housing?
Old 11-12-2008, 05:40 AM

Yes, the back of the tail light. $300 is a do-able price for a set of these but you should do a group deal for 10 or more ppl. Also Im curious to see the turn signals light up if u can.
I can snap you a shot today when i get out of class. I group buy would be fine with me but the only thing would be the time to make them. each set of tails takes me close to a week to do so 10 sets well that would be a little over 2 months. I am more than willing to do them but just want people to understand that these aren't a over night job.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:21 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have had custom LED boards designed and fabricated for me for vision systems that my company makes. If you are thinking you could sell 10 or more I bet the boards would be <$30 each. The design would probably be in the $500 range, maybe even less if you provide them with your prototype. If interested i could hook you up with the design & fab house we use. PM me if interested.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:42 AM
1993 SE

5 rows of Led would be killer on these btw!
Old 11-12-2008, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by guinnessmike
I have had custom LED boards designed and fabricated for me for vision systems that my company makes. If you are thinking you could sell 10 or more I bet the boards would be <$30 each. The design would probably be in the $500 range, maybe even less if you provide them with your prototype. If interested i could hook you up with the design & fab house we use. PM me if interested.
Pm sent
Old 11-12-2008, 11:17 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

the fact that you cracked the bread board for the other half of the brake lights made the other LEDs fire off angle than the other ones. that causes off angle distortion you see in the red part. at least make a clean cut with a dremel or something.

i say good effort but not my cup of tea...but that's just me personally.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by DanNY
the fact that you cracked the bread board for the other half of the brake lights made the other LEDs fire off angle than the other ones. that causes off angle distortion you see in the red part. at least make a clean cut with a dremel or something.

i say good effort but not my cup of tea...but that's just me personally.
Um didnt crack anything. It is 2 boards . The only ones that fire differently are the very last 6 leds. Thats it. The rest are one board.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:44 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Um didnt crack anything. It is 2 boards . The only ones that fire differently are the very last 6 leds. Thats it. The rest are one board.
well that separation doesn't look like a clean cut to me...but hey that's just me.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:16 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

o ok. mainly what i wanted to know is how the LEDs you are using look when you lay them physically against the backside of the stock diffuser, versus, 1-2mm away, vs 3-5mm away.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:21 PM

o ok. mainly what i wanted to know is how the LEDs you are using look when you lay them physically against the backside of the stock diffuser, versus, 1-2mm away, vs 3-5mm away.
Well to be honest in the 91's i would ditch the defuser. i could deff take some pics of how the leds act behind them tho to help ya out.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:33 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Well to be honest in the 91's i would ditch the defuser. i could deff take some pics of how the leds act behind them tho to help ya out.
kk. I think ditching it is the way to go on the 92-94 but i'm wary of it on the 89-91s just cuz the outer cover is crystal clear. Also bear in mind i'm going to be using tricolor RGB LEDs instead of single-color LEDs, so the focal conversion of the light beams is something else to take into consideration on my setup, ESPECIALLY on the white parts.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:35 PM

kk. I think ditching it is the way to go on the 92-94 but i'm wary of it on the 89-91s just cuz the outer cover is crystal clear. Also bear in mind i'm going to be using tricolor RGB LEDs instead of single-color LEDs, so the focal conversion of the light beams is something else to take into consideration on my setup, ESPECIALLY on the white parts.
Y tri color? and i want clear lenses. They make the lights look better imho. It would be like the 95-96 tails i do. They have crystal clear lenes also.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:25 PM

http://www.luminitco.com/index.php
Old 11-14-2008, 11:57 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Y tri color? and i want clear lenses. They make the lights look better imho. It would be like the 95-96 tails i do. They have crystal clear lenes also.
j00 got PM

Quick Reply: Any led tail'ed 3rd gens?