3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Auto vs. Manual

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2001, 10:51 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Auto vs. Manual

i cant help but notice so many automatics and i wonder why people get them,im sure this point has been argued many times over,but like i see people put just about all the big bolt ons onto a VG auto and they run what a VG 5spd runs stock,and then they ask about converting to manual.the only argument that an auto has is stop and go traffic,the main reason i got into maximas (used to own DSM's) was because its an affordable semi luxery sedan that comes witha manual transmission..i own a VG and runs mid 16's stock,then people get a VG auto that runs probably near 17 flat stock..if your gonna do that,if your gonna mod a auto VG might as well get something like a Civic 4door or an integra or something,you can keep all 4 doors and hondas are bolt on heaven from air filter to greddy or turbo kits,and all affordable,maybe im just missing the automatic thing,maybe theres something i dont know,not tryin to start a debate,but i'dlike to hear why people love their automatics
Old 11-10-2001, 10:56 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Auto vs. Manual

I don't love my automatic. (read my sig) I just needed a nice car on a budget and I really wanted a Maxima. I found a very mechanically sound '91 SE Auto so I bought it. I got a good deal... I was just in time crunch to find a car and I settled for an automagic.
Old 11-10-2001, 11:51 PM
Ford Only.

Ummm...I dont see how this thread relates to auto vs. manual...but...OK...VE POWER!
Old 11-11-2001, 12:08 AM

I figured a lot of people have automatics because either they prefer the simplicity of driving it, or it's all they could get. I've heard 5-speed Maximas are pretty rare, and given the length of time it took me to find my car, I agree. I think the 5-speeds are rarer because the Maximas were probably fairly expensive cars when they were brand-new and most of the people who could afford them were probably older people less inclined to buy a stick shift. Some other people "inherited" their car from parents and so that was that. Maybe for some, shifting their own gears just isn't their thing. True, for max performance the stick is the way, but that doesn't mean they can't mod out their cars just out of sheer enthusiasm and wanting to improve it.

One of the main reasons I chose to buy a Maxima was because it's big and comfy, but also fast, good handling (plan on helping that more later on), and available with a manual tranny.
Old 11-11-2001, 12:09 AM

Originally posted by Rancid90SE
i cant help but notice so many automatics and i wonder why people get them,im sure this point has been argued many times over,but like i see people put just about all the big bolt ons onto a VG auto and they run what a VG 5spd runs stock,and then they ask about converting to manual.the only argument that an auto has is stop and go traffic,the main reason i got into maximas (used to own DSM's) was because its an affordable semi luxery sedan that comes witha manual transmission..i own a VG and runs mid 16's stock,then people get a VG auto that runs probably near 17 flat stock..if your gonna do that,if your gonna mod a auto VG might as well get something like a Civic 4door or an integra or something,you can keep all 4 doors and hondas are bolt on heaven from air filter to greddy or turbo kits,and all affordable,maybe im just missing the automatic thing,maybe theres something i dont know,not tryin to start a debate,but i'dlike to hear why people love their automatics
why dont you race me and see what u say about automagics

if you can own a na 300z or turboed 240 sx... then u might have a chance beating my vg auto
Old 11-11-2001, 12:13 AM
Ford Only.

I am down to race! VE POWER!
Old 11-11-2001, 06:12 AM

My dad gave me my max and that's why it's a auto I want a VE 5spd !
Old 11-11-2001, 07:27 AM

I got an auto because that's what I got a good deal on. I use mine for daily driving in rush hour traffic. I will not mod mine, and mine will never see a drag strip (or a road course for that matter).

The biggest reason why I would rather have the 5spd is because it is more reliable. That and automatics just anger me at times... but then again... whenever I start getting annoyed with the auto... I just jump in the RX :-)

mykizism: What do you have done to your Maxima? Sounds pretty fast
Old 11-11-2001, 07:37 AM

Re: Re: Auto vs. Manual

Originally posted by mykizism

why dont you race me and see what u say about automagics

if you can own a na 300z or turboed 240 sx... then u might have a chance beating my vg auto
well hey...i just traded in my VG 5SPD with 260k for another VG 5spd with a whole lot less miles,so as of now its bone stock,give me a few months and ill race and will guarentee victory over any naturally aspirated VG auto
Old 11-11-2001, 07:40 AM

I got my mom's 91 GXE (auto)

I was glad at least it was a car, but I really wish it was a manuel. Auto takes all the fun out of driving. If you look at it though, the Maxima auto may not be very good, but i race civics all the time and watch them disapear into a nothing in my rear-view mirror. The bad part about the auto is you can't mod it. It's a waste of money.

I'm just savin up to buy myself a 5spd 4th gen. I'm gonna get it painted green with a custom black and green interior. That's where all my money's going in the future. As for college...um...at $20,000 a semester, i'm hoping i can get some freakin good scholarships.
Old 11-11-2001, 08:07 AM

look,theres nothing really wrong with inheriting a max from your parents or anything but look,if you had an auto,spent $1000 on mods and couldnt beat a stock manual,wouldnt that be discouraging?
Old 11-11-2001, 07:27 PM

look,theres nothing really wrong with inheriting a max from your parents or anything but look,if you had an auto,spent $1000 on mods and couldnt beat a stock manual,wouldnt that be discouraging?
"wouldnt that be discouraging?"

why yes, why yes it is.

i lose all the time to my lil brother with his 5 spd stealth, but then again.. i keep forgetting his car can beat Type R integs.
Old 11-11-2001, 08:40 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

all I have to say is VB mod .....and I have an auto because I commute to work and school, traffic in the city is some **** with a 5spd! and yeah so my car has one less gear, but once again I say how much better is a stock VG 5spd if on paper it only runs .2-.3 fatser than the auto ....even worse they both run 16's so the term "slow" still applies, 5spd or auto, 16 seconds aint nothing to brag about!
Old 11-11-2001, 08:57 PM

I used to want a 5spd, but I'm very satisfied with my auto. I've put some mods (including a UDP) on and am happy with the performance. I'm not looking to race anyone or show off by driving from 0 to 60 faster than someone else :rolleye: . I would just like enough power when I need it....it suits my needs just fine. I'll probably keep this car until it dies. That doesn't mean I won't be buying a BMW 5spd when I'm older.

VG POWER!

Oh, there's a 92 loaded VE 5spd with 100K miles for $5000 that I've had my eye on for the past 6 months....it's awefully tempting.