3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Any VG owners running Nistune?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 08:44 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Any VG owners running Nistune?

anyone anyone?
Old 10-15-2008, 11:32 AM

ive been running it for over a year. Its currently going through some development but even still its amazing. Highly recommended.

Jeremy

I told you this down in nashville i think.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:45 AM

Im looking into it!
Old 10-15-2008, 11:48 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by maxmaxima91
ive been running it for over a year. Its currently going through some development but even still its amazing. Highly recommended.

Jeremy

I told you this down in nashville i think.
yeah you did...some questions for you...
is it the type 1 board that you're using?
when you order the "kit" is it the daughter board, ubs port piece and the software license? (no consult?)
did you have to send the ECU to nistune?
how does an aftermarket wide band 02 work with it?
Old 10-15-2008, 08:59 PM

-I am using the type 1 board

-I believe that's what comes in the kit you would have to check with them as i started with nistune as a prototype tester so i never actually got a full kit

-you don't have to send the ecu to them as long as you feel confident solder a socket in your self, or you know someone who does. i did my own, but Ive socketed dozens of ecus.

-what type of wideband you use determines how it works with nistune. my plx uses a A/D converter and takes in the 0-5v signal.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:03 PM

can u use it on normal stock VG or VE?
Old 10-16-2008, 07:15 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by maxmaxima91
-I am using the type 1 board

-I believe that's what comes in the kit you would have to check with them as i started with nistune as a prototype tester so i never actually got a full kit

-you don't have to send the ecu to them as long as you feel confident solder a socket in your self, or you know someone who does. i did my own, but Ive socketed dozens of ecus.

-what type of wideband you use determines how it works with nistune. my plx uses a A/D converter and takes in the 0-5v signal.
JWT messed with the ECU so i assume the socket is there, safe to assume that's ok to use? BTW the JWT tune is total crap for me so that's why i rather do this than sending it back to them and wait 5 months for clark to throw some crap program on.

i'm thinking the zexitronics for WBO2, is that wired into the ECU or is that something that would connect to the laptop as an additional input? generally how does the WBO2 interact with Nistune?

is the goal of tuning is to reach (more or less) stoich at all levels regardless of pedal input or would there be cases where you want to run richer and leaner?

with a correct tune would emission testing be a problem (assuming all the emissions are hooked up and running) or would something else be needed to get it to pass?

thanks for answering my questions...just want to know what i'm getting myself into.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:44 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by DanNY
JWT messed with the ECU so i assume the socket is there, safe to assume that's ok to use? BTW the JWT tune is total crap for me so that's why i rather do this than sending it back to them and wait 5 months for clark to throw some crap program on.

i'm thinking the zexitronics for WBO2, is that wired into the ECU or is that something that would connect to the laptop as an additional input? generally how does the WBO2 interact with Nistune?

is the goal of tuning is to reach (more or less) stoich at all levels regardless of pedal input or would there be cases where you want to run richer and leaner?

with a correct tune would emission testing be a problem (assuming all the emissions are hooked up and running) or would something else be needed to get it to pass?

thanks for answering my questions...just want to know what i'm getting myself into.
not really knowing much about your car other than the fact that you have a shiny UIM... i'm pretty sure that high load WOT operation needs slightly richer AFR to prevent detonation. Not as rich as the stock ECU goes... but still richer than stoich. Now granted i'm n/a on a stock ECU so i don't have any personal experience with that, but that's just what i've read on here and been told by other people that tune engines in high-performance applications.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:55 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
not really knowing much about your car other than the fact that you have a shiny UIM...
Thats all he has, a shiny vg uim, there has been speculation that he doesn't even have a car to go with it!
Old 10-16-2008, 08:33 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

not really knowing much about your car other than the fact that you have a shiny UIM... i'm pretty sure that high load WOT operation needs slightly richer AFR to prevent detonation. Not as rich as the stock ECU goes... but still richer than stoich. Now granted i'm n/a on a stock ECU so i don't have any personal experience with that, but that's just what i've read on here and been told by other people that tune engines in high-performance applications.
yup that's what i've heard also...they do that for a margin of safety. can't be running lean at WOT near redline and not expect something to go boom. that's why i said more or less.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:35 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by Greeny
Thats all he has, a shiny vg uim, there has been speculation that he doesn't even have a car to go with it!
Old 10-16-2008, 01:16 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

yup that's what i've heard also...they do that for a margin of safety. can't be running lean at WOT near redline and not expect something to go boom. that's why i said more or less.
and it also seems like FI needs to run richer than NA, to keep temps down. i rememer maxmaxima91 and someone else discussing AFRs between 10.5 and 12 or something like that. have you heard anything about water injection allowing you to run leaner on a boosted engine?
Old 10-16-2008, 01:41 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

and it also seems like FI needs to run richer than NA, to keep temps down. i rememer maxmaxima91 and someone else discussing AFRs between 10.5 and 12 or something like that. have you heard anything about water injection allowing you to run leaner on a boosted engine?
from what i hear water injection is really a cover up for an engine that's not running well....this is from what i hear and read.
if it's tuned right why would an engine need water injection?

i agree that FI cars need a little richer mixture but would that cause the car not to pass emissions?
Old 10-16-2008, 02:07 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

from what i hear water injection is really a cover up for an engine that's not running well....this is from what i hear and read.
if it's tuned right why would an engine need water injection?

i agree that FI cars need a little richer mixture but would that cause the car not to pass emissions?
well if you have nistune you can always re-tune the car to pass emissions then go put it back to your powerful tuning as soon as you leave the inspection station.

and as for water injection, i heard that it reduces temperatures... allowing you to use more nitrous or run a more aggressive boost without having to retard your timing or use super-high-octane gas all the time. i know aaron92se knows a little bit about water injection and nitrous... hopefully he can help clarify exactly how it works
Old 10-16-2008, 02:26 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

well if you have nistune you can always re-tune the car to pass emissions then go put it back to your powerful tuning as soon as you leave the inspection station.

and as for water injection, i heard that it reduces temperatures... allowing you to use more nitrous or run a more aggressive boost without having to retard your timing or use super-high-octane gas all the time. i know aaron92se knows a little bit about water injection and nitrous... hopefully he can help clarify exactly how it works
yeah that's true...but i guess the question is if it's FI "can" it pass emissions?

i'm sure it would reduce temps but it seems like a crutch to me. i'm sure it'll be great for track/drag strip use.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:08 AM

a turbo charged car Can pass emission with out a problem. cause anytime the car is out of boost.. it is essentially an n/a. plus its got this hot turbine to help burn off excess hydrocarbons. There doesn't need to be two tunes it just needs to be tuned well and it wont be a problem. in boost i would tune for high 11s in low boost (less than 10 psi and) and then creep down to 11.0 afr from 10psi-15psi, from 15-20psi sit at around 11.0, above 20 i would creep just into the 10s. This is my tuning method, i get criticized for being so rich, but.. its usually by people who aren't pushing 400 whp out of a stock VG. Ill admit that Some power could be made by leaning it out overall.. but, i would rather have that safety blanket for when the conditions change, it only takes a second to blow an engine up. ok, back to emissions. As long as you have a good cat, and an O2 sensor hooked up, you will pass the tale pipe test. It basically is doing the exact same thing as the car does stock, although it has the advantage of having the turbo assisting in burning excess fuel. Basically you take a stock tune make it run well with your larger injectors, and then add on the portion of the map were you would be in boost. I could go on and on and on but i have to work.

Jeremy

... sorry if there are typos, i wrote this really quick.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

How did I miss this thread?

Anyway, it looks like you have most of the bases covered. Yes, you'd be using a type 1 board, that comes with the USB port and a license to d/l the software. The USB consult adapter is a separate purchase that you can buy through NIStune.
You can have NIStune fit the daughterboard, or do it yourself.
I sent a spare ecu to them to have them do it. I can solder, but they do it every day, and we were sort of pioneering the implementation of it on a VE, so I just let them run with it.
There is truth to a proper tune being fine at emissions testing time, but you can also load different maps at will, unlike a JWT, so you're covered. You can always revert.
With regard to Wideband o2, I chose an Innovate Motorsports LC-1. Simply put; a wideband o2 allows you to override what the ECU expects to see and for the tuner to set an optimal a/f ratio for when you're remapping the fuel chart, or adding larger injectors, larger MAF, boosting, etc... It also allows you to log data on a laptop, as opposed to heading to a dyno every time you change something. That probably wasn't the best explanation, but I'm sure there's more detailed information if you want to dig in Google's garden.
How does it interact with NIStune? It doesn't directly. THE WB02 just allows the parameters you set in NIStune to be accepted.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:13 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by hadman
Prolly too busy looking @ this-->

Old 10-23-2008, 04:11 PM

Prolly too busy looking @ this-->

Thanks man. Too kind.
Old 10-24-2008, 06:23 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Anyway, it looks like you have most of the bases covered. Yes, you'd be using a type 1 board, that comes with the USB port and a license to d/l the software. The USB consult adapter is a separate purchase that you can buy through NIStune.
You can have NIStune fit the daughterboard, or do it yourself.
I sent a spare ecu to them to have them do it. I can solder, but they do it every day, and we were sort of pioneering the implementation of it on a VE, so I just let them run with it.
There is truth to a proper tune being fine at emissions testing time, but you can also load different maps at will, unlike a JWT, so you're covered. You can always revert.
With regard to Wideband o2, I chose an Innovate Motorsports LC-1. Simply put; a wideband o2 allows you to override what the ECU expects to see and for the tuner to set an optimal a/f ratio for when you're remapping the fuel chart, or adding larger injectors, larger MAF, boosting, etc... It also allows you to log data on a laptop, as opposed to heading to a dyno every time you change something. That probably wasn't the best explanation, but I'm sure there's more detailed information if you want to dig in Google's garden.
How does it interact with NIStune? It doesn't directly. THE WB02 just allows the parameters you set in NIStune to be accepted.
wait a tick...i thought the complete package kit is the daughter board and the usb port that i would solder in right? it would go from the usb port to my laptop via usb cable. there's another piece that i have to get?

so whatever WBO2 i pick i have to manually type in the figures from the WBO2 into nistune's software? there's no interface where the WBO2 interacts with nistune's software?
Old 10-24-2008, 08:58 AM

wait a tick...i thought the complete package kit is the daughter board and the usb port that i would solder in right? it would go from the usb port to my laptop via usb cable. there's another piece that i have to get?
The USB consult cable that links your laptop to the consult port is not included.
It looks like this here (the one shown here is actually a serial cable, but they are otherwise identical): http://www.plmsdevelopments.com/imag...onsult_if5.jpg

so whatever WBO2 i pick i have to manually type in the figures from the WBO2 into nistune's software? there's no interface where the WBO2 interacts with nistune's software?
NIStune will read the sensor information and display it only. Changing the AFR is done via the o2 software. The WBo2 you purchase will come with a serial or usb plug for interfacing with the laptop.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:37 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

The USB consult cable that links your laptop to the consult port is not included.
It looks like this here (the one shown here is actually a serial cable, but they are otherwise identical): http://www.plmsdevelopments.com/imag...onsult_if5.jpg

NIStune will read the sensor information and display it only. Changing the AFR is done via the o2 software. The WBo2 you purchase will come with a serial or usb plug for interfacing with the laptop.

i thought if i'm going to be using the type 1 board it doesn't need to connect to the consult cable. i have the big goofy black plug. i thought it's one or the other...if you have the small grey consult then you don't have to drill out the ECU case and use the consult plug...for cars with the big black plug then you'll need to drill out the hole on the ECU so it can fit the USB...no?

so if i would need to use another USB port (if i'm using one for nistune) for the WBO2 or the serial cable for the WBO2? this data from the WBO2 can play nice with nistune then?

thanks for your help...just trying to figure out what's what for nistune.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:31 PM

i thought if i'm going to be using the type 1 board it doesn't need to connect to the consult cable. i have the big goofy black plug. i thought it's one or the other...if you have the small grey consult then you don't have to drill out the ECU case and use the consult plug...for cars with the big black plug then you'll need to drill out the hole on the ECU so it can fit the USB...no?

so if i would need to use another USB port (if i'm using one for nistune) for the WBO2 or the serial cable for the WBO2? this data from the WBO2 can play nice with nistune then?

thanks for your help...just trying to figure out what's what for nistune.
I can't verify this because NIStune's site has been down, and I haven't really studied the type 1 board because I use the type 3.
BUT... it is my impression regardless of which board you use, you still need to plug the male gray consult plug from the Maxima end in to the female end of the PLMS adapter.
Remember, I had the goofy black plug as well. This is totally ignored, and I had to find a gray one from a donor car, and wire it in to the ECU directly.

I'm not aware of any type of usb port that is soldered in to the ECU, but I won't say this isn't the case for sure, because as I said, I'm more familiar with the type 3 board and install.

And if that is the case, which I doubt, I would have loved to have had a usb port soldered directly in to my ECU, because then I wouldn't have needed to fabricate a new consult port for the Nissan.

This is why I believe you can not go direct to the ecu via a standard USB plug. You need the type of consult plug I linked you to in an earlier post.

To answer the second half of the question, Nistune will use your USB port, the WBo2 will use the serial port. Dogs and cats living in harmony.

I'll try and get Matt from NIStune on here to verify some of the points in this thread. I hate thinking I might be the source of any misinformation.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey guys

If using a J30 VG30E then you will need the Type 1 board. With this board, it has an inbuilt USB socket, which normally we fit where the diagnostic port goes (with a little reworking of the existing bracket).

If using a J30 VG30DE then you will need the Type 3 board. This uses the standard Nissan consult port. In Hadleys case he had the VG30DE retro fitted into a VG30E chasis, hence didnt have the original consult port and had to wire one in to the ECU loom. Those vehicles stock standard will have a grey consult connector usually near the steering wheel or above the fuse box (varies between different Nissans). You will need to purhcase a consult cable to connect the laptop to the vehicles consult port.

I've just updated our website at www.nistune.com to provide the separate listing for J30 VG30DE since I didnt have it listed previously (only done a few of these but all works the same as any other Type 3 compatible vehicle)

If using an M30 VG30DE (Infiniti) then that is a Type 2 board.

I'm still working on the later model A32 Maxima (1996+) but have to work around the OBD-II stuff

cheers
Matt
Old 10-25-2008, 07:03 AM

Thanks for clearing it up Matt. There you go Dan, you were correct about the USB port.
What confused me is that Dan, who has a VG30E, has the same black consult plug that I had, so I assumed a gray connector would have to be swapped in. But if I understand Matt correctly, the consult plug is completely bypassed and you get to go straight in to the ecu via a USB cable.
Good for Dan, sucked for me, considering what I went through to get a gray consult fabricated.

Of note, Matt refers to the VE as a VG30DE, but I'm sure he meant VE30DE.

Last edited by hadman; 10-25-2008 at 08:11 AM.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:09 AM

so i should get nistune....
Old 10-26-2008, 01:59 PM

what exactly does this improve... the gear ratios?
Old 10-26-2008, 08:00 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by torontomaxi
what exactly does this improve... the gear ratios?
:crazy:

explain how a user-tuneable ECU software system can improve gear ratios, and i'll bake a whole tray of cookies just for you.....
Old 10-27-2008, 12:59 AM
No turbo, no care!

BTW the JWT tune is total crap for me so that's why i rather do this than sending it back to them and wait 5 months for clark to throw some crap program on.
Danny Im curious what problems you have with your JWT ECU and what they programmed it for?
Old 10-27-2008, 06:58 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by Maxpwer
Danny Im curious what problems you have with your JWT ECU and what they programmed it for?
it seems like they used a program for a 5spd instead of an auto since the idle speed is REAL low even after adjustments to the IACV and etc. the accelerations are sluggish like the timing is retarded A LOT. it looks like it's running really rich too but i can't confirm that since no WBO2. so overall idle quality and drive ability doesn't work too well for me. car is off the road now so i can look at other alternatives. besides the fact it took them 6-8 months to return the ECU back to me so even if i want to stay with them they just take way too long to return back a new flash to me.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:03 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

6-8 months! Ridiculous..
Old 10-27-2008, 07:20 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

6-8 months! Ridiculous..
yeah tell me about it. they keep telling me they are "busy" with other things to do and they are very backed up.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:57 AM

yeah tell me about it. they keep telling me they are "busy" with other things to do and they are very backed up.
Wow. 6-8 months is bordering on mental cruelty.

And yeah, adjusting the IACV is likely being counter-adjusted by the JWT.

As for running rich, you could confirm that by checking for excessive carbon deposits on the spark plugs.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:46 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Wow. 6-8 months is bordering on mental cruelty.

And yeah, adjusting the IACV is likely being counter-adjusted by the JWT.

As for running rich, you could confirm that by checking for excessive carbon deposits on the spark plugs.
exactly...do i didn't want to start messing around w/ engine parts when the flash was already less than perfect.

the plugs are new so that shouldn't be a problem.

yeah tell me about it...i was calling them once a week and i get "nope didn't get it to".
Old 10-29-2008, 01:52 AM

DANny et all,

I too have been running a NIStune Type 1 on my 91 SE VG33ET for a couple years now. It works sweet. No Consult cable needed (you don't have one anyway), rather a USB port is added to the ECU. I socketed the ECU and added the port. Not a big deal. I also have the full Zeitronix package going, and it communicates flawlessly with NIStune. All highly recommended. Oh, and FWIW it's running on a MacBook Pro under Bootcamp.

From reading your posts, you've not mentioned the state of tune of your car. Clark usually isn't too far off on his mail-order tunes. So it's surprising that you're having so much trouble. Bummer though. If it makes you feel better, he had my block for over a year.

The thing about using a tool such as NIStune is that you can dig a real deep hole like extra-super fast. Don't get me wrong; it's the tool to get the most out of a Nissan engine. Just try to read everything you can about Nissan ECU's before changing stuff around.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:38 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by j30_vg30et
DANny et all,

I too have been running a NIStune Type 1 on my 91 SE VG33ET for a couple years now. It works sweet. No Consult cable needed (you don't have one anyway), rather a USB port is added to the ECU. I socketed the ECU and added the port. Not a big deal. I also have the full Zeitronix package going, and it communicates flawlessly with NIStune. All highly recommended. Oh, and FWIW it's running on a MacBook Pro under Bootcamp.

From reading your posts, you've not mentioned the state of tune of your car. Clark usually isn't too far off on his mail-order tunes. So it's surprising that you're having so much trouble. Bummer though. If it makes you feel better, he had my block for over a year.

The thing about using a tool such as NIStune is that you can dig a real deep hole like extra-super fast. Don't get me wrong; it's the tool to get the most out of a Nissan engine. Just try to read everything you can about Nissan ECU's before changing stuff around.
i'm sure clark is good at what he does. dealing with ben was frustrating. the tune was "ok" but i wasnt too crazy about it. when you say state of tune...well everything tune up related was new. yes new OEM cap, rotor, wires, plugs, filters, pcv, everything was OEM nissan and new. no expense was spared.

how does the WBO2 communicate with Nistune? I need details.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:55 AM

how does the WBO2 communicate with Nistune? I need details.
I guess the simplest way I can put it is; NIStune does nothing (directly) to effect how the WBO2 behaves.
The WBO2 is your air/fuel eyes, if you will. It reads (or data logs) the parameters you set within NIStune. If you change a fuel map from within NIStune for example, the wideband will measure if that particular tune is optimal.

To add to this, software is usually provided with whatever WBO2 you purchase. This software will allow you to effect how the WBO2 interprets what it sees and how it reports back to your tuning software.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:15 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

I guess the simplest way I can put it is; NIStune does nothing (directly) to effect how the WBO2 behaves.
The WBO2 is your air/fuel eyes, if you will. It reads (or data logs) the parameters you set within NIStune. If you change a fuel map from within NIStune for example, the wideband will measure if that particular tune is optimal.

To add to this, software is usually provided with whatever WBO2 you purchase. This software will allow you to effect how the WBO2 interprets what it sees and how it reports back to your tuning software.
so i have a laptop...one USB port connected to nistune...
where does the WBO2 fit in the mix? does it gets wired into nistune or somewhere on it? does it connect to the laptop on another port?
Old 10-29-2008, 08:33 AM

so i have a laptop...one USB port connected to nistune...
where does the WBO2 fit in the mix? does it gets wired into nistune or somewhere on it? does it connect to the laptop on another port?
Once you have the wideband installed and set up to report the way you want it to, you won't need to be wired in to the sensor o2 sensor at all.
Nistune will read what the wideband reports. Nistune will be the only thing you are wired in to. The only thing Nistune doesn't do is 'change' the way the o2 operates, but it still reads the data.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:51 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Once you have the wideband installed and set up to report the way you want it to, you won't need to be wired in to the sensor o2 sensor at all.
Nistune will read what the wideband reports. Nistune will be the only thing you are wired in to. The only thing Nistune doesn't do is 'change' the way the o2 operates, but it still reads the data.
ok so i have to do a few runs w/ the WBO2...then take the output file...merge that into nistune software and plug nistune to the car?

ok let me throw some real world situation here.

nistune is in the car and it's connected to the laptop via USB cable and i use nistune to interface with the ECU.

WBO2..say the zeitronics and it's connected to a laptop via serial cable and i'm running their software on the laptop.

so i have two cable input to the laptop and two software running.

so the question is....does Nistune interface with the Zeitronics where i can run Nistune's software and it'll pick up the signal from the Zeitronics WBO2 or do i have to run the two programs separate? keep in mind this is during tuning stage so i would like to have both running (nistune and WBO2). how does nistune work with the WBO2?

Quick Reply: Any VG owners running Nistune?