Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) (https://maxima.org/forums/3rd-generation-maxima-1989-1994-8/)
-   -   Axle question (https://maxima.org/forums/3rd-generation-maxima-1989-1994/573974-axle-question.html)

mikekantor 10-15-2008 05:05 PM

Axle question

What is the function of these grooves, and why would they be different?

http://www.mikekantor.com/forums/SNC11852.jpg

Greeny 10-15-2008 05:13 PM

I believe they are oil flow grooves..

Lemme guess..Your new axles different grooves (on the left ) made you think wtf? :scratch: Right? ;)

mikekantor 10-15-2008 05:21 PM

correct

GAMERA30 10-15-2008 08:45 PM

I think the one on the left is for LSD cars. Are those axles for the same side

CapedCadaver 10-15-2008 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by GAMERA30 (Post 6656943)

both axles pictured are the inner joint of the driverside axle on the VE LSD tranny. note 2 sets of splines? 1 for the diff casing, 1 for the VLSD unit.

burhan92SE 10-15-2008 08:57 PM

why they r so different...the one on the left in ur pic is the one in my VE and doesn't go all the way in. i can see the half groove out from the bottom of my car and my tranny oil leaks jus cuz of then....does it fit in urs?

and ya those r oil flow grooves...and they r pretty different....i didnt know that after market axles r different than OEMs:scratch:

CapedCadaver 10-15-2008 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by burhan92SE (Post 6656961)
why they r so different...the one on the left in ur pic is the one in my VE and doesn't go all the way in. i can see the half groove out from the bottom of my car and my tranny oil leaks jus cuz of then....does it fit in urs?

and ya those r oil flow grooves...and they r pretty different....i didnt know that after market axles r different than OEMs:scratch:

i'm still thinking you got shafted with your non-vlsd re4f04a..... oh well. but i'm guessing those are just 2 different styles. cuz i had a bad set of VE axles and a good set... and one had the type on the left and one had the type on the right... so i dunno why they're different in that respect but the function is basically the same.

burhan92SE 10-15-2008 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver (Post 6656979)
i'm still thinking you got shafted with your non-vlsd re4f04a..... oh well. but i'm guessing those are just 2 different styles. cuz i had a bad set of VE axles and a good set... and one had the type on the left and one had the type on the right... so i dunno why they're different in that respect but the function is basically the same.

so u think some VE AUTOs came with non-vlsd too...? cuz i know the tranny in my VE isnt VLSD cuz it has that shinny PIN in there...and VLSD doesnt have that.....

mikekantor 10-15-2008 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by burhan92SE (Post 6656987)
so u think some VE AUTOs came with non-vlsd too...? cuz i know the tranny in my VE isnt VLSD cuz it has that shinny PIN in there...and VLSD doesnt have that.....

Yes, there are VLSD and non-VLSD VE autos. You can check by looking at the metal plate on the firewall because it has the transmission name, and it will have a V in it for VLSD. Dealerships can look it up using the VIN, although the actual VIN doesnt have enough detail for it, their database does.

The axle fits just fine, and is identical in every other respect. I got it from Brian and its been in for a few weeks, no leaks or other problems, I was just curious about it.

GAMERA30 10-15-2008 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by mikekantor (Post 6657039)
Yes, there are VLSD and non-VLSD VE autos. You can check by looking at the metal plate on the firewall because it has the transmission name, and it will have a V in it for VLSD. Dealerships can look it up using the VIN, although the actual VIN doesnt have enough detail for it, their database does.

The axle fits just fine, and is identical in every other respect. I got it from Brian and its been in for a few weeks, no leaks or other problems, I was just curious about it.

There were non LSD VE auto ???... wow ... I thought ALL VE reguardless of auto or manual was VLSD....ARE YOU SURE ???... cus VG and VE axles are not interchangeable in Auto trim. I know VG cars are not VLSD.

burhan92SE 10-15-2008 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by mikekantor (Post 6657039)

ya i have V for transmission code on the firewall but the tranny i have is not VLSD, jus cuz of that axle doesnt go all the way in......and i have VE engine...i think someone before me messed something up ( wrong tranny ) or SOME VE AUTOs just came with none LSD tranny.....i still drive the car with that axle but it jus doesnt go all the way in lol...

mikekantor 10-15-2008 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by GAMERA30 (Post 6657050)
There were non LSD VE auto ???... wow ... I thought ALL VE reguardless of auto or manual was VLSD....ARE YOU SURE ???... cus VG and VE axles are not interchangeable in Auto trim. I know VG cars are not VLSD.

Yeah they exist, I dont think they are very common. If you go to a parts website they will have an axle listed for every permutation of options: Passenger/Driver, ABS y/n, VLSD y/n, VG/VE, MT/AT.

Originally Posted by burhan92SE (Post 6657052)
ya i have V for transmission code on the firewall but the tranny i have is not VLSD, jus cuz of that axle doesnt go all the way in......and i have VE engine...i think someone before me messed something up ( wrong tranny ) or SOME VE AUTOs just came with none LSD tranny.....i still drive the car with that axle but it jus doesnt go all the way in lol...

Are you sure its pushed in all the way? The ring has to snap in place. I think some of the axles have different tooth counts, so it shouldnt be so easy to make the wrong one fit. Axles are not a lol-ing matter, get it figured out.

The non-VLSD VE auto should look different externally, and VE autos are fairly bulletproof so I would be surprised if yours was swapped.

pmohr 10-15-2008 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by burhan92SE (Post 6657052)

If your VIN plate says RE4F04V and you're sure that your current trans has an open diff, then that means someone swapped it out at some point. Do you think it's open because the axle won't go all the way in?

burhan92SE 10-15-2008 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr (Post 6657113)
If your VIN plate says RE4F04V and you're sure that your current trans has an open diff, then that means someone swapped it out at some point. Do you think it's open because the axle won't go all the way in?

tomorrow i m gonna change my control arms and ball joints and i will take pic's of my tranny and the axle where its stuck...

Greeny 10-16-2008 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by GAMERA30 (Post 6656943)

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver (Post 6656950)
both axles pictured are the inner joint of the driverside axle on the VE LSD tranny. note 2 sets of splines? 1 for the diff casing, 1 for the VLSD unit.

http://i35.tinypic.com/1xxpw6.jpg

GAMERA30 10-16-2008 06:10 AM

now that's definitely a different axle.

internetautomar 10-16-2008 06:20 AM

in the USA ALL VEs left the factory with a VLSD.
when the trans has been replaced, what people put back in is another story entirely.

GAMERA30 10-16-2008 06:52 AM

thats what i thought... the FSM dont state anything else.

CapedCadaver 10-16-2008 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by pmohr (Post 6657113)

Originally Posted by mikekantor (Post 6657091)
Yeah they exist, I dont think they are very common. If you go to a parts website they will have an axle listed for every permutation of options: Passenger/Driver, ABS y/n, VLSD y/n, VG/VE, MT/AT.

Are you sure its pushed in all the way? The ring has to snap in place. I think some of the axles have different tooth counts, so it shouldnt be so easy to make the wrong one fit. Axles are not a lol-ing matter, get it figured out.

The non-VLSD VE auto should look different externally, and VE autos are fairly bulletproof so I would be surprised if yours was swapped.

what happened to him is that the people before him had the trans replaced, they tranny shop didn't have any RE4F04V's handy so they took a RE4F04A and swapped his TC housing on (basically the exact opposite of what Aaron is doing to put his VE trans on the VQ35 motor), and called it a day. If they had rebuilt the tranny component-for-component, they would have used the VE case and VE diff and all that. The VE case is different to accomodate the VLSD and realistically, if they really wanted to they could have grabbed a 04A, tossed its guts into his 04V, and left him with is VLSD properly. But they didn't do that... i'm just curious how he ended up fitting the axles onto the hubs... if they are VE or VG hubs....

I've seen pics of his splines and inside his diff holes.... there is a big pin in the middle, rather than a clear hole all the way through. According to the FSM and other things I've seen, all the ones with pins through them (VG auto and VG manual) are open diff, and the VLSD has no pin in the middle due to a different bezelgear carrier design. So his tranny is definitely open-diff.

burhan92SE 10-16-2008 07:49 PM

http://uploader.ws/upload/200810/DSC00009.jpg
http://uploader.ws/upload/200810/DSC00010.jpg

burhan92SE 10-16-2008 07:52 PM

ok here it is....i have VLSD axle and this is wat it is and this is how far it goes in thats it...no more room.....i can still drive the car....i think i have to try VG inner board.....

edit: and wat i think is that the second spline of the VLSD axle doing the job of the grooves....:scratch:

CapedCadaver 10-16-2008 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by burhan92SE (Post 6658240)
ok here it is....i have VLSD axle and this is wat it is and this is how far it goes in thats it...no more room.....i can still drive the car....i think i have to try VG inner board.....

edit: and wat i think is that the second spline of the VLSD axle doing the job of the grooves....:scratch:

i wonder if a 4th gen axle would fit your VE hubs and fit your 4th gen tranny (it basically is that, just with a VE tc housing)

burhan92SE 10-16-2008 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver (Post 6658267)
i wonder if a 4th gen axle would fit your VE hubs and fit your 4th gen tranny (it basically is that, just with a VE tc housing)

ya cuz i bought a VG axle before and wasnt fitting my wheel side...it was too small.....so should i try 95 maxima driver side axle NONE-LSD...?

CapedCadaver 10-16-2008 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by burhan92SE (Post 6658275)
ya cuz i bought a VG axle before and wasnt fitting my wheel side...it was too small.....so should i try 95 maxima driver side axle NONE-LSD...?

i guess you can try it? you might have to hybridize the axle tho... ie taking the end off the 4g axle and putting the VE end back on it... IF that will even work

burhan92SE 10-16-2008 08:38 PM

wth...they have axle for 1992 maxima SE WITH ABS AND WITHOUT LSD? ( the first one )

http://cpwstore.carpartswholesale.co...7+9274+814+145

CapedCadaver 10-16-2008 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by burhan92SE (Post 6658299)
wth...they have axle for 1992 maxima SE WITH ABS AND WITHOUT LSD? ( the first one )

http://cpwstore.carpartswholesale.co...7+9274+814+145

well try that then. i know some other countries had non-vlsd VEs.... so maybe that's just sourced from there.

ColombianMax 10-16-2008 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver (Post 6658305)
well try that then. i know some other countries had non-vlsd VEs.... so maybe that's just sourced from there.

I thought the VE was only available in the USA and probably Canada... I demand for everyone reading this post and has a VE auto, to go check their trans code and let us know if anyones code ends with an "A":cool:

burhan92SE 10-16-2008 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by ColombianMax (Post 6658336)
I thought the VE was only available in the USA and probably Canada... I demand for everyone reading this post and has a VE auto, to go check their trans code and let us know if anyones code ends with an "A":cool:

my code ends with ''V'' but i have got the wrong tranny...but could be possible that in some other countries VE autos came with NON-VLSD TOO... since NISSAN never mentioned about BROUGHAM edition so it is possibile they never mentioned about VE autos NON - LSD either...:scratch:

CapedCadaver 10-16-2008 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by burhan92SE (Post 6658347)
my code ends with ''V'' but i have got the wrong tranny...but could be possible that in some other countries VE autos came with NON-VLSD TOO... since NISSAN never mentioned about BROUGHAM edition so it is possibile they never mentioned about VE autos NON - LSD either...:scratch:

canadian Brougham is always VG remember? it's a deluxe GXE basically.

Pearl93VE 10-16-2008 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by ColombianMax (Post 6658336)

I gotsa V

internetautomar 10-17-2008 09:14 AM

Repeat:
All USDM VEs had VLSD installed from the factory.

the companies got it in their heads some time ago that a non-VLSD VE exists, but it NEVER came from the factory that way.

ColombianMax 10-17-2008 10:08 AM

I want my hood struts brian!

Greeny 10-17-2008 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by ColombianMax (Post 6659317)
I want my hood struts brian!

Send a freaking pm! :rolleyes:

burhan92SE 10-17-2008 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar (Post 6659065)
Repeat:
All USDM VEs had VLSD installed from the factory.

the companies got it in their heads some time ago that a non-VLSD VE exists, but it NEVER came from the factory that way.

some auto VEs could have came NON-VLSD in CANADA? i m going to dealer tomorrow to make sure this confusion....dealer might be able to tell me wats the truth right?...

CapedCadaver 10-17-2008 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by burhan92SE (Post 6659931)
some auto VEs could have came NON-VLSD in CANADA? i m going to dealer tomorrow to make sure this confusion....dealer might be able to tell me wats the truth right?...

i'd think it'd be in a poorer country... like Brazil. I know they had 3rd gens in brazil cuz there are a few different wires in the Brazilian version. don't need VLSD in the jungle as much as you need it in the snow

burhan92SE 10-17-2008 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver (Post 6659936)
i'd think it'd be in a poorer country... like Brazil. I know they had 3rd gens in brazil cuz there are a few different wires in the Brazilian version. don't need VLSD in the jungle as much as you need it in the snow

what if my 3rg is from BRAZIL:surprised.........

lol.....just wondering and as far i can think Canadian 3rd gens came in various versions than U.S

CapedCadaver 10-17-2008 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by burhan92SE (Post 6659946)
what if my 3rg is from BRAZIL:surprised.........

lol.....just wondering and as far i can think Canadian 3rd gens came in various versions than U.S

your car is 99.999999% not from brazil. it's far more likely that you just got a non-vlsd tranny installed into your car because even Nissan does not have the VLSD unit available for purchase.

burhan92SE 10-17-2008 08:04 PM

u got a point there...

GAMERA30 10-17-2008 10:36 PM

Funny how this tread went from an axle question to a transmission info site on VE trannys...lol

CapedCadaver 10-17-2008 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by GAMERA30 (Post 6660046)
Funny how this tread went from an axle question to a transmission info site on VE trannys...lol

cuz burhan always needs special attention......