3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Axle question

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 05:05 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Axle question

What is the function of these grooves, and why would they be different?

Old 10-15-2008, 05:13 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

I believe they are oil flow grooves..

Lemme guess..Your new axles different grooves (on the left ) made you think wtf? Right?
Old 10-15-2008, 05:21 PM

correct
Old 10-15-2008, 08:45 PM

Location: Long Beach, CA is where i live. Queens NYC is always home.
I think the one on the left is for LSD cars. Are those axles for the same side
Old 10-15-2008, 08:51 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by GAMERA30
both axles pictured are the inner joint of the driverside axle on the VE LSD tranny. note 2 sets of splines? 1 for the diff casing, 1 for the VLSD unit.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:57 PM

why they r so different...the one on the left in ur pic is the one in my VE and doesn't go all the way in. i can see the half groove out from the bottom of my car and my tranny oil leaks jus cuz of then....does it fit in urs?

and ya those r oil flow grooves...and they r pretty different....i didnt know that after market axles r different than OEMs

Last edited by burhan92SE; 10-15-2008 at 08:59 PM.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:05 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by burhan92SE
why they r so different...the one on the left in ur pic is the one in my VE and doesn't go all the way in. i can see the half groove out from the bottom of my car and my tranny oil leaks jus cuz of then....does it fit in urs?

and ya those r oil flow grooves...and they r pretty different....i didnt know that after market axles r different than OEMs
i'm still thinking you got shafted with your non-vlsd re4f04a..... oh well. but i'm guessing those are just 2 different styles. cuz i had a bad set of VE axles and a good set... and one had the type on the left and one had the type on the right... so i dunno why they're different in that respect but the function is basically the same.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
i'm still thinking you got shafted with your non-vlsd re4f04a..... oh well. but i'm guessing those are just 2 different styles. cuz i had a bad set of VE axles and a good set... and one had the type on the left and one had the type on the right... so i dunno why they're different in that respect but the function is basically the same.
so u think some VE AUTOs came with non-vlsd too...? cuz i know the tranny in my VE isnt VLSD cuz it has that shinny PIN in there...and VLSD doesnt have that.....
Old 10-15-2008, 09:47 PM

so u think some VE AUTOs came with non-vlsd too...? cuz i know the tranny in my VE isnt VLSD cuz it has that shinny PIN in there...and VLSD doesnt have that.....
Yes, there are VLSD and non-VLSD VE autos. You can check by looking at the metal plate on the firewall because it has the transmission name, and it will have a V in it for VLSD. Dealerships can look it up using the VIN, although the actual VIN doesnt have enough detail for it, their database does.

The axle fits just fine, and is identical in every other respect. I got it from Brian and its been in for a few weeks, no leaks or other problems, I was just curious about it.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by mikekantor
Yes, there are VLSD and non-VLSD VE autos. You can check by looking at the metal plate on the firewall because it has the transmission name, and it will have a V in it for VLSD. Dealerships can look it up using the VIN, although the actual VIN doesnt have enough detail for it, their database does.

The axle fits just fine, and is identical in every other respect. I got it from Brian and its been in for a few weeks, no leaks or other problems, I was just curious about it.
There were non LSD VE auto ???... wow ... I thought ALL VE reguardless of auto or manual was VLSD....ARE YOU SURE ???... cus VG and VE axles are not interchangeable in Auto trim. I know VG cars are not VLSD.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:59 PM

ya i have V for transmission code on the firewall but the tranny i have is not VLSD, jus cuz of that axle doesnt go all the way in......and i have VE engine...i think someone before me messed something up ( wrong tranny ) or SOME VE AUTOs just came with none LSD tranny.....i still drive the car with that axle but it jus doesnt go all the way in lol...
Old 10-15-2008, 10:41 PM

There were non LSD VE auto ???... wow ... I thought ALL VE reguardless of auto or manual was VLSD....ARE YOU SURE ???... cus VG and VE axles are not interchangeable in Auto trim. I know VG cars are not VLSD.
Yeah they exist, I dont think they are very common. If you go to a parts website they will have an axle listed for every permutation of options: Passenger/Driver, ABS y/n, VLSD y/n, VG/VE, MT/AT.

ya i have V for transmission code on the firewall but the tranny i have is not VLSD, jus cuz of that axle doesnt go all the way in......and i have VE engine...i think someone before me messed something up ( wrong tranny ) or SOME VE AUTOs just came with none LSD tranny.....i still drive the car with that axle but it jus doesnt go all the way in lol...
Are you sure its pushed in all the way? The ring has to snap in place. I think some of the axles have different tooth counts, so it shouldnt be so easy to make the wrong one fit. Axles are not a lol-ing matter, get it figured out.

The non-VLSD VE auto should look different externally, and VE autos are fairly bulletproof so I would be surprised if yours was swapped.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:35 PM
No more Maximas...

If your VIN plate says RE4F04V and you're sure that your current trans has an open diff, then that means someone swapped it out at some point. Do you think it's open because the axle won't go all the way in?
Old 10-15-2008, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by pmohr
If your VIN plate says RE4F04V and you're sure that your current trans has an open diff, then that means someone swapped it out at some point. Do you think it's open because the axle won't go all the way in?
tomorrow i m gonna change my control arms and ball joints and i will take pic's of my tranny and the axle where its stuck...
Old 10-16-2008, 04:22 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

both axles pictured are the inner joint of the driverside axle on the VE LSD tranny. note 2 sets of splines? 1 for the diff casing, 1 for the VLSD unit.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:10 AM

now that's definitely a different axle.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:20 AM
mod or sell?

in the USA ALL VEs left the factory with a VLSD.
when the trans has been replaced, what people put back in is another story entirely.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:52 AM

thats what i thought... the FSM dont state anything else.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:41 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by pmohr
Yeah they exist, I dont think they are very common. If you go to a parts website they will have an axle listed for every permutation of options: Passenger/Driver, ABS y/n, VLSD y/n, VG/VE, MT/AT.

Are you sure its pushed in all the way? The ring has to snap in place. I think some of the axles have different tooth counts, so it shouldnt be so easy to make the wrong one fit. Axles are not a lol-ing matter, get it figured out.

The non-VLSD VE auto should look different externally, and VE autos are fairly bulletproof so I would be surprised if yours was swapped.
what happened to him is that the people before him had the trans replaced, they tranny shop didn't have any RE4F04V's handy so they took a RE4F04A and swapped his TC housing on (basically the exact opposite of what Aaron is doing to put his VE trans on the VQ35 motor), and called it a day. If they had rebuilt the tranny component-for-component, they would have used the VE case and VE diff and all that. The VE case is different to accomodate the VLSD and realistically, if they really wanted to they could have grabbed a 04A, tossed its guts into his 04V, and left him with is VLSD properly. But they didn't do that... i'm just curious how he ended up fitting the axles onto the hubs... if they are VE or VG hubs....

I've seen pics of his splines and inside his diff holes.... there is a big pin in the middle, rather than a clear hole all the way through. According to the FSM and other things I've seen, all the ones with pins through them (VG auto and VG manual) are open diff, and the VLSD has no pin in the middle due to a different bezelgear carrier design. So his tranny is definitely open-diff.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:49 PM

Old 10-16-2008, 07:52 PM

ok here it is....i have VLSD axle and this is wat it is and this is how far it goes in thats it...no more room.....i can still drive the car....i think i have to try VG inner board.....

edit: and wat i think is that the second spline of the VLSD axle doing the job of the grooves....

Last edited by burhan92SE; 10-16-2008 at 07:56 PM.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:10 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

ok here it is....i have VLSD axle and this is wat it is and this is how far it goes in thats it...no more room.....i can still drive the car....i think i have to try VG inner board.....

edit: and wat i think is that the second spline of the VLSD axle doing the job of the grooves....
i wonder if a 4th gen axle would fit your VE hubs and fit your 4th gen tranny (it basically is that, just with a VE tc housing)
Old 10-16-2008, 08:15 PM

i wonder if a 4th gen axle would fit your VE hubs and fit your 4th gen tranny (it basically is that, just with a VE tc housing)
ya cuz i bought a VG axle before and wasnt fitting my wheel side...it was too small.....so should i try 95 maxima driver side axle NONE-LSD...?
Old 10-16-2008, 08:33 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

ya cuz i bought a VG axle before and wasnt fitting my wheel side...it was too small.....so should i try 95 maxima driver side axle NONE-LSD...?
i guess you can try it? you might have to hybridize the axle tho... ie taking the end off the 4g axle and putting the VE end back on it... IF that will even work
Old 10-16-2008, 08:38 PM

wth...they have axle for 1992 maxima SE WITH ABS AND WITHOUT LSD? ( the first one )

http://cpwstore.carpartswholesale.co...7+9274+814+145
Old 10-16-2008, 08:42 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

wth...they have axle for 1992 maxima SE WITH ABS AND WITHOUT LSD? ( the first one )

http://cpwstore.carpartswholesale.co...7+9274+814+145
well try that then. i know some other countries had non-vlsd VEs.... so maybe that's just sourced from there.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:11 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

well try that then. i know some other countries had non-vlsd VEs.... so maybe that's just sourced from there.
I thought the VE was only available in the USA and probably Canada... I demand for everyone reading this post and has a VE auto, to go check their trans code and let us know if anyones code ends with an "A"
Old 10-16-2008, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
I thought the VE was only available in the USA and probably Canada... I demand for everyone reading this post and has a VE auto, to go check their trans code and let us know if anyones code ends with an "A"
my code ends with ''V'' but i have got the wrong tranny...but could be possible that in some other countries VE autos came with NON-VLSD TOO... since NISSAN never mentioned about BROUGHAM edition so it is possibile they never mentioned about VE autos NON - LSD either...

Last edited by burhan92SE; 10-16-2008 at 09:22 PM.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:28 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

my code ends with ''V'' but i have got the wrong tranny...but could be possible that in some other countries VE autos came with NON-VLSD TOO... since NISSAN never mentioned about BROUGHAM edition so it is possibile they never mentioned about VE autos NON - LSD either...
canadian Brougham is always VG remember? it's a deluxe GXE basically.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:50 PM
I can has?

I gotsa V
Old 10-17-2008, 09:14 AM
mod or sell?

Repeat:
All USDM VEs had VLSD installed from the factory.

the companies got it in their heads some time ago that a non-VLSD VE exists, but it NEVER came from the factory that way.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:08 AM
Please. Call me John. I insist

I want my hood struts brian!
Old 10-17-2008, 10:31 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

I want my hood struts brian!
Send a freaking pm!
Old 10-17-2008, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
Repeat:
All USDM VEs had VLSD installed from the factory.

the companies got it in their heads some time ago that a non-VLSD VE exists, but it NEVER came from the factory that way.
some auto VEs could have came NON-VLSD in CANADA? i m going to dealer tomorrow to make sure this confusion....dealer might be able to tell me wats the truth right?...
Old 10-17-2008, 07:48 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

some auto VEs could have came NON-VLSD in CANADA? i m going to dealer tomorrow to make sure this confusion....dealer might be able to tell me wats the truth right?...
i'd think it'd be in a poorer country... like Brazil. I know they had 3rd gens in brazil cuz there are a few different wires in the Brazilian version. don't need VLSD in the jungle as much as you need it in the snow
Old 10-17-2008, 07:55 PM

i'd think it'd be in a poorer country... like Brazil. I know they had 3rd gens in brazil cuz there are a few different wires in the Brazilian version. don't need VLSD in the jungle as much as you need it in the snow
what if my 3rg is from BRAZIL.........

lol.....just wondering and as far i can think Canadian 3rd gens came in various versions than U.S
Old 10-17-2008, 08:01 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

what if my 3rg is from BRAZIL.........

lol.....just wondering and as far i can think Canadian 3rd gens came in various versions than U.S
your car is 99.999999% not from brazil. it's far more likely that you just got a non-vlsd tranny installed into your car because even Nissan does not have the VLSD unit available for purchase.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:04 PM

u got a point there...
Old 10-17-2008, 10:36 PM

Funny how this tread went from an axle question to a transmission info site on VE trannys...lol
Old 10-17-2008, 11:31 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Funny how this tread went from an axle question to a transmission info site on VE trannys...lol
cuz burhan always needs special attention......

Quick Reply: Axle question