3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Bodywork question

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2000, 01:47 PM
marke

I've got to have the body damage on my Max fixed soon, and I was wondering if you guys knew about the quality of the "punch-out" technique.

I had 3 estimates done. The first two included getting new skins for one side of the car, first estimate at 3200 and second at 2800.

The third one I went to said he does the punch out technique and retouches paint, molds, etc... (I guess). The estimate was at $1800.

How well does this technique work? My damage is a long scrape and dent along one side of the car, also the hood was punched in, in 4 places. (If you guys don't know the story, some guy took my car on a joyride and went gambling).

Thanks for any help.

Old 11-05-2000, 02:37 PM

I would say whatever is cheapest as long as the work is guaranteed. and make sure to tell the guy you are picky and you want your car to look like it was never damaged. you should ask about the dent dogger machine. it spot welds to the metal pulls the dent then you can take it off. supposedly it works great.
Old 11-05-2000, 03:48 PM

BE WARY :)

I think when he says "punch out" he's meaning he will use a spoon/dolly/hammer to work the dents out.. then use a shrinking hammer to get it all to line back up level.. (some filler/filling primer or layering of paint may be used to "build up" low areas as well).. this method is fine as long as you don't end up with doors that are 50% filler!.. be careful and ask to see some of his work he has done.. (using that technique).. if possible look at some work that is a few months old and see how its holding up.. make sure you stress to him that you do want the car to look AS NEW with no traces of damage to the untrained eye (a good body man can spot a repair job from 10miles away).. the new skin idea isn't a bad one.. I've seen it done.. they'd put new door skins on where the damaged ones are.. its a pretty cool process really.. I've seen it done on mustangs before. Be sure that he does guarantee his work but I would think that either way is fine.. re-skinning is more labor intensive/$$$ and requires money for parts thats why the higher estimate.. with this guys method your just punching/pulling out the old sheetmetal and trying to get it to match back up......The dent "dogger" as block called it is a pretty slick little machine.. its a handheld device that uses brass or steel "pins" (lengths of a thicker gauge wire) that are tack welded to the surface then a slide hammer is attached to them and you yank them to pull the area straight... it works well if you know what your doing.. otherwise just like any other body work it can get to be a mess real quick .. just look for a shop that does good work...... good luck!