3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

93 gxe intermittent starting-need suggestions please

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2001, 01:40 PM

93 gxe intermittent starting-need suggestions please

Hi Folks,
I have a 1993 gxe that has an intermittent start problem.

The following morning after purchase, the car would not start but would turn over. After turning the ignition off and on a few times it finally started.

I have noticed that when I turn on the key, I hear a noise that last approx. 3 to 5 seconds. I assume this is the fuel pump relay. However, there are times when I turn the key on and I do not hear that noise and therefore, the car will not start.

I also have an acceleration problem on occassion as it wants to stall. However, if I let off the gas pedal, it will resume running.
But once, while traveling down the road at a steady speed, the engine quit without any notice, however, it started immediately.

Sooo, I changed the fuel pump relay which is located in the trunk area. This corrected the problem for about 5 days. Now the problem has returned.

I have read messages that folks had problems with the throttle body. Could this also be my problem??

Please, any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom
Old 11-20-2001, 09:17 AM
JoeWillie

It sounds like you bought the car used. If you did, did you get a new battery? How many miles are on the car? Has all the scheduled maintainance been done?

JoeWille

Old 11-20-2001, 11:06 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: 93 gxe intermittent starting-need suggestions please

Originally posted by abbey
Hi Folks,
I have a 1993 gxe that has an intermittent start problem.

The following morning after purchase, the car would not start but would turn over. After turning the ignition off and on a few times it finally started.

I have noticed that when I turn on the key, I hear a noise that last approx. 3 to 5 seconds. I assume this is the fuel pump relay. However, there are times when I turn the key on and I do not hear that noise and therefore, the car will not start.

I also have an acceleration problem on occassion as it wants to stall. However, if I let off the gas pedal, it will resume running.
But once, while traveling down the road at a steady speed, the engine quit without any notice, however, it started immediately.

Sooo, I changed the fuel pump relay which is located in the trunk area. This corrected the problem for about 5 days. Now the problem has returned.

I have read messages that folks had problems with the throttle body. Could this also be my problem??

Please, any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom
My guess would be that you are losing crank signal I had this prob in my 86 max I changed the distributer and my prob went away but get it checked first cause it is a costly part
Old 11-25-2001, 02:11 PM

93 gxe intermittent start problem-95% chance problem resolved

First, my thanks for the replies.

I recently visited a Nissan dealership and told them of my intermittent start problem and this is what they suggested and it WORKED!!!! "so far"

Their suggestion was to replace the module, located in the relay panel. I believe he said this controls the spark, gas, etc. The relay is green in color and is the first one in the rely panel, which is located underneath the hood on the drivers side. Sorry, I can not reminder exactly what else it controls.

If I am not mistaken, this is the same as the fuel pump relay.

Anyway, just wanted to share the info.

Tom