3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

new PS hose, new groan/whine

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 08:36 AM

new PS hose, new groan/whine

so i just replaced a bunch of stuff on my car, previous thread by me, and I now how a very faint groaning/whine sound from the pwer steering. I replaced the high pressure side hose. I remember reading on some thread somewhere that a few other members on here that have replaced the same hose have got the same sound.

I replaced the hose because it looked like it was leaking, it looks like its leaking from the power steering pump itself now. Im wondering how often do these pumps go out and if it could be the cause of the noise, although it wasnt there before i changed the hose, wierd. Its a 92 VE auto.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:42 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Did you bleed the system like the FSM outlines in the other thread?

did you replace the copper crush washers?

If yes on 2, then you simply haven't got it tight enough on the bottom connection, you really have to tighten the shiet out of it. Also, if the bottom connection is leaking, it will look exactly like the pump is leaking, been there, done that.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:10 PM

yes copper washers replaced. yes i bled it like the fsm says and had help to do so.

I crawled underneath and the leak is not on the hose at all.. and the hose sits lower than the power steering pump itself, at least where it connects at the bottom.

maybe the low pressure hose is leaking. i believe thats the hose above the pump itself.

i dont think if it is the hose itself leaking would have anything to do with the groan noise im experiencing after changing the high pressure hose.

reminds me of a quiter version of the powersteering they use on ford trucks.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:15 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Tighten up the hose clamp on the low pressure hose where it connects to the pump.They are famous for loosening up after the hose has dried up from years of heat cycles..
Old 05-09-2009, 01:27 AM
LvR

Did you replace the hose with a Nissan original or did you have a replacement made-up?
Old 05-09-2009, 07:20 AM

didnt think it would be worth while/cost effective to have a replacement made up for the high pressure hose.

its a new Gates power steering hose, not sure if this is a part that should be a dealer item, i would think not, but who knows
Old 05-09-2009, 07:34 AM

others have had this problem too. on the stickies for replacing high pressure hose.

http://forums.maxima.org/3rd-generat...vior-hose.html

Posts # 14, 15, 16, and others all state they have a whine after doing the hose replacement.

one mentioned the 2 big bolts used to bolt the hose in having a hole through them for fluid to flow. if the bolts were put on tighter, or loser, than before maybe the holes are not lined up good enough causing the whining noise?
Old 05-09-2009, 07:47 AM
LvR

http://forums.maxima.org/3rd-generat...ing-noise.html
Old 05-09-2009, 08:10 AM

that link refers to people that have the noise while driving/turning the wheel.

I get the groaning noise while its just running. parked, no wheel turning. The groaning gets a bit louder when I turn wheel.

theres no squeaks or squeals. there was no noise until I changed that high pressure hose.

I dont understand how changing the hose could create such a thing unless those holes in the big bolts, to let fluid through are suppose to be turned so far as to where the holes line up internally or something.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:26 AM
LvR

I really cannot describe the exact mechanism involved in the creation of the noise as I said there - all I know is when replacing hp hoses in the past, the exact inside diameter of the hoses themselves, the banjo couplings etc all play a role because I have on many occasions returned a "noisy" hose and replaced it with an OEM hose to affect a cure ................... personally I think that the pump may be cavitating due to starvation but I cannot prove it.

As an experiment I would suggest you refit your original hp hose and see if the noise goes away - if it does, you basically will confirm what I said and you know what to do...................
Old 05-09-2009, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by LvR
I really cannot describe the exact mechanism involved in the creation of the noise as I said there - all I know is when replacing hp hoses in the past, the exact inside diameter of the hoses themselves, the banjo couplings etc all play a role because I have on many occasions returned a "noisy" hose and replaced it with an OEM hose to affect a cure ................... personally I think that the pump may be cavitating due to starvation but I cannot prove it.

As an experiment I would suggest you refit your original hp hose and see if the noise goes away - if it does, you basically will confirm what I said and you know what to do...................

ya i still have the oem hose,

now, where can i get those copper washers because i dont want to re-use them even though the ones on there now are practically new. im busy landscaping my front yard today so ill have to get around to it later. But if I can get some more washers im definately going to try to swap the hose and see if that solves the problem.

Greeny I found another 24mm bolt on the bottom of the pump, it has a 2-3inch metal tube that angels down and thats where the high pressure hose connects to at the bottom. So I tighten that one down a bit more, not sure what line it was because it wasnt the low pressure line or the high pressure one i just replaced. but it was definately a line for the power steering, i loosend just a tad and fluid was coming out. Also the low pressure hose looks old but ive wiped it down the other day and it don't look like its leaking there, i tightend the clamp on it too.

edit: i also did the bled it again but it didnt seem to suck any more fluid in or spit air out so im sure its bled properly.
Old 05-09-2009, 02:18 PM

i would check the pump itself...
Old 05-09-2009, 05:21 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

I replaced my high pressure hose with an aftermarket unit and I get a small constant whine too, a little louder whine when I turn the wheel. I've bled it numerous times and still have the whine. It's been several months now and hasn't gotten better or worse, I just chalked it up to something weird with the aftermarket hose.

I've read dozens of threads here over the years about guys having the same issue with aftermarket hoses.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by James92SE
I replaced my high pressure hose with an aftermarket unit and I get a small constant whine too, a little louder whine when I turn the wheel. I've bled it numerous times and still have the whine. It's been several months now and hasn't gotten better or worse, I just chalked it up to something weird with the aftermarket hose.

I've read dozens of threads here over the years about guys having the same issue with aftermarket hoses.
strange. thats exactly what i have. a small constant whine, and a little louder when wheel is turned. ive bled it a couple times.

if someone can help me find the copper washers necessary to change the high pressure hose, ill swap my old oem hose in and see if the noise goes away. it could be just some defect with aftermarket hoses.

i guess it could be a smaller diameter inside the tube and be slightly starving the pump, who knows. i can live with the sound, but if its something i can fix id like to.