3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Transmission concern......

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 09:15 PM

Transmission concern......

When my car is cold, usually in the a.m. after sitting overnight, I put the car in drive with foot on brake and it "slams" into gear and sometime I hear the front tire screach. It will not happen all of the time, but I have noticed it more often. Is my trans on its way to the junk yard? Fluid level is fine and was changed about a year ago.

Thanks.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by G3Karl
When my car is cold, usually in the a.m. after sitting overnight, I put the car in drive with foot on brake and it "slams" into gear and sometime I hear the front tire screach. It will not happen all of the time, but I have noticed it more often. Is my trans on its way to the junk yard? Fluid level is fine and was changed about a year ago.

Thanks.
Most of the time if you are just starting your engine and its a little cold outside, the iacv will have the engine ilde speed high at like between 2000 to 1500 rpm in order to warm the engine up quickly. If you start the car and immediately put it into gear. It will slam into gear due to the high idle speed from just starting up. Ive never had my tires screech before, maybe you had your foot on the accelorator pedal or something??
Old 05-11-2009, 03:01 AM

I wouldn't be too worried about that. As long as it shifts fine when driving. But I would change the fluid more often than once a year. Especially with this tranny.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:20 AM

Agreed with Maxinout93. Warm it up some more and see what that does, unless your brakes are ****house, it would have to launch from a considerably high RPM to make your tires screach. Maybe worth checking your torque convertor if it persists?
Old 05-11-2009, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by G3Karl

Thanks.
it could be one of these or more...

1. worn out Engine mounts
2. TPS sensor out of adjustment
3. Bad Dropping resistor under the intake tube rite behind the battery

from Park put ur gear straight into 1 GEAR and see if it slams...if it DOES NOT and only slams in D then check ur engine mounts and resister and while ur driving if it changes gear hard from 1st to 2nd gear then check ur TPS sensor adjustment....
Old 05-11-2009, 10:45 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by burhan92SE
it could be one of these or more...

1. worn out Engine mounts
2. TPS sensor out of adjustment
3. Bad Dropping resistor under the intake tube rite behind the battery

from Park put ur gear straight into 1 GEAR and see if it slams...if it DOES NOT and only slams in D then check ur engine mounts and resister and while ur driving if it changes gear hard from 1st to 2nd gear then check ur TPS sensor adjustment....
1(1) being different than D(1) how? difference between the 2 is that 1(1) does have the low/reverse brake on, and D(1) doesn't. you figure that's what's slamming?

besides, if slamming was different between 1(1) and D(1) then i would suspect something involving the tranny.... not the motor mounts. the motor mounts won't cause slamming in one forward gear selection and not the other... the t/c can't put down enough power to slam/chirp at idle unless just from bad motor mounts. i know because i had this motor mount before my 5spd swap. and i had no issues that i noticed until i started playing around with the manual t/c lockup bypass thingy (which killed my tranny)

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 05-11-2009 at 10:50 AM.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I believe i have a similar problem right now. Does your tach jump around like two little kids with Dreadlocks??
does this problem smooth out once you get everything warm?
Is it intermitten (your problem sounds worse than mine)
does the car shift funny once you get it going?

Tonight i am going out to check all the grounds, my friend suspects the computer grounds are faulty and need cleaning. I have several little things going wrong at once so the likely hood that its a sensor (tach) is unlikely.

Last edited by Ghostrider86; 05-11-2009 at 02:01 PM.
Old 05-11-2009, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
1(1) being different than D(1) how? difference between the 2 is that 1(1) does have the low/reverse brake on, and D(1) doesn't. you figure that's what's slamming?

besides, if slamming was different between 1(1) and D(1) then i would suspect something involving the tranny.... not the motor mounts. the motor mounts won't cause slamming in one forward gear selection and not the other... the t/c can't put down enough power to slam/chirp at idle unless just from bad motor mounts. i know because i had this motor mount before my 5spd swap. and i had no issues that i noticed until i started playing around with the manual t/c lockup bypass thingy (which killed my tranny)
i had the same problem when put in D it will slam and wen put in 1st it wont really...i checked my engine mounts and they were worn out..changed them and tps was a lil out of adjustment, fixed it and slaming has since gone away...worth checking engine mounts first if they r right its internally or bad TPS...tps is cuz if it is out of adjustment its jus gonna signal the tranissmion control module that throttle is open and tranny gonna slam asuming that car is running plus if u have bad engine mounts slamming gonna be worse and over top of that by chance if u have bad dropping resistor it might hurt ur neck...

VE Auto...... D(1) has only forward clutch wen put in D but 1(1) has forward clutch, overrun clutch and low&reverse brake...

VG Auto.....D(1) has low clutch and one way clutch but 1(1) has low clutch, low&reverse brake then one way clutch.

were u talking about VE auto? plus u have worked on 3rd trannies many times u know better...

Last edited by burhan92SE; 05-11-2009 at 04:58 PM.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:02 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by burhan92SE
i had the same problem when put in D it will slam and wen put in 1st it wont really...i checked my engine mounts and they were worn out..changed them and tps was a lil out of adjustment, fixed it and slaming has since gone away...worth checking engine mounts first if they r right its internally or bad TPS...tps is cuz if it is out of adjustment its jus gonna signal the tranissmion control module that throttle is open and tranny gonna slam asuming that car is running plus if u have bad engine mounts slamming gonna be worse and over top of that by chance if u have bad dropping resistor it might hurt ur neck...

VE Auto...... D(1) has only forward clutch wen put in D but 1(1) has forward clutch, overrun clutch and low&reverse brake...

VG Auto.....D(1) has low clutch and one way clutch but 1(1) has low clutch, low&reverse brake then one way clutch.

were u talking about VE auto? plus u have worked on 3rd trannies many times u know better...
i never had any sort of slamming issue that i had to fix, no. i assumed vg auto for him, his info doesn't say what his car is and i don't remember from previous threads. of course, ANY time you have bad motor mounts, it's best to fix that. and if your tps is out of adjustment somehow obviously that should be fixed too.